Our City Online

Messageboard - Art Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arts and Economic Development in Columbus

Home Forums Events Art Events Arts and Economic Development in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Here’s another article (this one from the LA Times) on how artists are impacting Detroit:

Detroit Evolving into a Haven fro Artists

That an estimated 300,000 people a year now visit the Heidelberg Project alone is really an amazing stat. Until this year it probably had better attendance numbers than the Lions. :)

Andrew Hall

jeff_r said:
    Here’s another article (this one from the LA Times) on how artists are impacting Detroit:

Detroit Evolving into a Haven fro Artists

Good article. Thanks for linking.

We were just in Detroit this weekend and hit a large number of the places mentioned in the article. Been going up there regularly. One of the places mentioned, College for Creative Studies, has had Saturday sessions in auto design which our son totally is loving.

I does bother me some that the article’s perspective (and mine) downplay the real issues and problems that have to be solved in Detroit though. As tourists, we can carve out the slice of the city that matches our ideal. Amusingly, it appears residents do so as well – we saw the same woman in three different places on Sat and she was local.

A.

myliftkk
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    Good article. Thanks for linking.

We were just in Detroit this weekend and hit a large number of the places mentioned in the article. Been going up there regularly. One of the places mentioned, College for Creative Studies, has had Saturday sessions in auto design which our son totally is loving.

I does bother me some that the article’s perspective (and mine) downplay the real issues and problems that have to be solved in Detroit though. As tourists, we can carve out the slice of the city that matches our ideal. Amusingly, it appears residents do so as well – we saw the same woman in three different places on Sat and she was local.

A.

If you want the other slice of Detroit, just watch Hardcore Pawn on Tru TV. ;)

News
    Participant

Investing in the Arts Yields Financial and Cultural Returns in Columbus
    Published on February 11, 2013 4:30 pm
    By: Walker

This Wednesday, the Columbus Metropolitan Club will host a forum luncheon dedicated to the discussion of arts funding in our community and the type of economic activity that the arts are generating. The panel will be moderated by Ann Fisher from All Sides on WOSU and will include speakers Michael Gonsiorowski, Regional President of PNC; Columbus City Councilmember Priscilla Tyson; and Randy Cohen, VP of Research and Policy at the DC-based Americans for the Arts.

Cohen is coming to Columbus specifically for this event and hopes to further this important ongoing discussion on arts funding.

We recently had the opportunity to speak with Cohen for a Q&A about how the arts community in Columbus stacks up to its counterparts around the country:

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/investing-in-the-arts-yields-financial-and-cultural-returns-in-columbus

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CMC – Wed. Feb 13, Arts R.O.I. with Randy Cohen, Priscilla Tyson, Michael Gonsiorowski and Ann Fisher
    12:00 PM – 1:15 PM
    Athletic Club of Columbus, 136 E. Broad Street

Arts R.O.I.
    We will examine art as a sustainer and catalyst of economic development and vibrancy across business, people and places. Featuring; Randy Cohen, VP Research and Policy, Americans for the Arts; Priscilla Tyson, Columbus City Council; Michael Gonsiorowski, Regional President, PNC; Ann Fisher, host All Sides, WOSU Public Media

MORE: http://www.columbusmetroclub.org/Default.aspx?pageId=49313&eventId=612172&EventViewMode=EventDetails

News
    Participant

RhondaH

I watched this and I am wondering what specifically Priscilla Tyson is talking about when she says that the arts have worked to re-develop the near east side? Is she talking about the Discovery District and the Lincoln Theater? I am wondering if there is maybe some other 400 Rich St type project in Olde Towne East that escaped my eye. Are there plans for a more Short North, Franklinton approach in the Olde Towne area? If so that is great.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I would imagine she’s referring to the Lincoln Theatre and the King Arts Complex that anchor the King-Lincoln District.

The PACT plan doesn’t specifically call for arts to play a large roll in the redevelopment of the area. It’s more of a mixed-use approach:

New Plan Calls for Retail, Housing Development on Near East Side

News
    Participant

Tom Katzenmeyer Ramps Up Funding for Art and Culture in Columbus
    Published on April 30, 2013 1:50 pm

The Greater Columbus Arts Council (GCAC) kicked off 2013 with the announcement of new leadership and a renewed focus. The arts organization tapped Tom Katzenmeyer as its new President, who previously worked on a regional study and action plan to help funnel more public and private dollars into local arts and culture institutions.

We sat down recently with Tom to talk about his history with fundraising and campaigning, and to find out what sort of plans he has in store for helping grow the arts scene in Columbus in the coming years.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/tom-katzenmeyer-ramps-up-funding-for-art-and-culture-in-columbus

News
    Participant

THE ABUSE OF ART IN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
    by Richey Piiparinen 01/04/2014

City building is an imperfect process. Poverty, segregation, and income disparities persist, or worsen, despite longstanding efforts to affect change. The unsightliness of these social failures are called “blight”. Blight is commonly thought to be the antithesis to beauty.

Urban revitalization efforts have been infatuated with idea that removing blight creates the conditions for community good. Specifically, the field of aesthetics—or that branch of philosophy that deals with the principles of beauty and artistic taste—has for long been held up as a lens through which society can be ordered, with the thinking that beautification can “rehab” the masses.

READ MORE: http://www.newgeography.com/content/004123-the-abuse-art-economic-development

News
    Participant

Columbus Arts Funding and Support Grew in 2013
    Published on January 28, 2014 7:00 am

The Greater Columbus Arts Council (GCAC) has officially been under the helm of new President Tom Katzenmeyer for just over a year, but the organization is already accomplishing the main thing he set out to do: increase funding for art and culture in Columbus. GCAC released their annual Report to the Community today, which revealed that the grown in community funding in 2013 was up nearly 25% over the year prior.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-arts-funding-and-support-grew-in-2013

roy
    Participant

If the GCAC wants to be taken seriously it’s going to have to find additional funding sources and learn how to support the local non-institutional creative community. Many believed that’s why Katzenmeyer was selected as ED and I hope they’re right.

The GCAC is basically an expensive pass-through, accepting its share of the Columbus bed tax and in turn, doling it out to pretty much the same organizations each year (after skimming off .25 cents of each dollar for administrative costs). There’s no set-aside for a public art acquisition program, no art patron private donations of note.

Profits from the annual GCAC arts festival might cover Katzenmeyer’s sweet salary and benefits package but there’s not much local presence at the arts fest, the bulk of local dollars spent there leave the city. GCAC can do better than continue the old fashioned policies of the past, they receive virtually every dollar the City spends on art and citizens depend on them.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Roy,

Just so I get what you’re talking about, looking at pages 15-16 of the GCAC annual report you’d like to see more spending on professional development, supply grants and the individual artist fellowship program?

Or do you mean you’d like to see the GCAC purchase works from artists directly?

News
    Participant

A Transformational Way to Position the Arts as an Economic and Cultural Engine

Columbus, Ohio, an international destination? Maybe we can’t offer mountains, oceans, or beaches, but what we do have to offer are our places and our culture. For this reason alone, our places need to be exceptionally creative and memorable. Quality of place and culture are a direct reflection of who we are, why we choose to live in a place, and why others would want to visit. Through creative placemaking we have the opportunity to explore new ways of thinking about our city and how we interact with our surroundings.

READ MORE: http://www.designgroup.us.com/expertise/transformational-way-position-arts-economic-and-cultural-engine

News
    Participant

How Funding The Arts Can Build a Better Columbus
    April 30, 2014 8:00 am – Walker Evans

What can Columbus be doing better to show institutional support for local arts organizations? Robert Lynch, President and CEO of Americans for the Arts, has been invited to Columbus for three days to help answer that question.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/how-funding-the-arts-can-build-a-better-columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘Art Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION