Our City Online

Messageboard - Art Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Arts and Economic Development in Columbus

Home Forums Events Art Events Arts and Economic Development in Columbus

This topic contains 76 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  News 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A Way Forward: Arts and Economic Development

Monday, September 19 · 4:00pm – 6:00pm

Mershon Auditorium, Wexner Center for the Arts

1871 North High Street Columbus, OH 43210

Les Wexner, Rocco Landesman, Chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, and Mayor Coleman are joining together on Monday, September 19th at 4pm at the Wexner Center for the Arts’ Mershon Auditorium for a discussion entitled, “A Way Forward: Arts and Economic Development.” This provocative conversation on the value of the creative sector in building attractive and competitive cities represents a unique and important opportunity for the arts and creative sector in our community to show its enthusiasm for the prioritization of the arts in the mainstream planning of the future of our community.

A big turnout for this event is vitally important in order to continue to build on the momentum the arts have gained in the past year; please do everything you can to be there, and encourage staff members, board members and supporters to be there, as well.

Folks are standing up for the arts at Mershon Auditorium on OSU’s campus at the Wexner Center for the Arts on September 19th, starting at 4pm. See you there!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=144119062346586

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

I’m planning on attending this event. It should be an interesting discussion.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I RSVP’ed too. Sounds like it’s a pretty big deal. And hopefully something that will spark new development and investment in the arts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Bump! This is tonight! Who else is going?

I’m going and looking forward to it.

Andrew Hall

I really wanted to go, but my son has a soccer game at 4pm, so I am out.

A.

Brant
    Participant

I have yet to see convincing evidence that investments in the Arts (or sports arenas, for that matter) stimulate broader economic development in the metro area. It’s the same garbage that Richard Florida and Rebecca Ryan have been peddling for the last 10 years.

Really wish they’d open up the floor for an audience Q&A at this event.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Brant said:
    I have yet to see convincing evidence that investments in the Arts (or sports arenas, for that matter) stimulate broader economic development in the metro area.

I don’t have any sort of study to link to… but can I ask if you feel that the Short North would be seeing multi-million dollar private investment projects (The Jackson, Dakota, Yukon Lofts, etc) if it weren’t for the previous arts investment in the area?

JimSweeney
    Participant

We’re warming up the “Frank-lin-ton Frank-lin-ton” chant now. We may even try out..I say “Frank” you say “linton”!

Brant
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t have any sort of study to link to… but can I ask if you feel that the Short North would be seeing multi-million dollar private investment projects (The Jackson, Dakota, Yukon Lofts, etc) if it weren’t for the previous arts investment in the area?

I don’t know to what extent the SN has received public investment and subsidies over the years. I have always thought of it as mostly driven by small business owners in the late 80’s to rebrand their neighborhood in an effort to attract new patrons. Then the city recognized the early success of the district and wisely chose to encourage private development with street and sidewalk improvements, followed by tax abatements for new construction. (Please correct me if I’m mistaken.)

As I understand it, Mr. Landesman and his cohorts are talking about investing in the “capital A” Arts (CMA, BalletMet, CAPA, etc.) as a way to attract talented human capital and therefore entice businesses to relocate in central Ohio. That’s very different than the story of the SN, but somehow it all gets lumped into this ill-defined “creative sector” along with – not insignificantly – major league sports.

This article (pdf) is a good read if you have the time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Gotcha. I wasn’t entirely familiar with what this event will be covering tonight. Guess that’s why I’m going… to hear them out. ;)

Will give that PDF a read tonight. ;)

SusanB
    Participant

I really want to go to this, but I’m not really feeling great. Walker please report back on this for those of us who cannot go.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ar the event right now… Coleman is discussing Arts Investment in Franklinton and the future growth of jobs and creative class in that neighborhood. Citing the nationally recognized success in the Short North.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Doug Kridler from Columbus Foundation is stressing the importance of balancing fiscal responsibility of arts orgs w/ providing an open-ended environment for artistic expression. Warns of the former endangering the latter.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Rocco says that The Short North is mentioned at every speaking event as example of arts spurring development. Lots of shout outs to SN. Also mentions of Wild Goose, Available Light and Wonderland.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)

The forum ‘Art Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.