Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

A pet peeve I have when i'm talking about EDM

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat A pet peeve I have when i’m talking about EDM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Bear
    Participant

scottlitch wrote Well, EDM (Electronic DANCE music) does all sound similar…

phew… for a moment there I thought this thread was about something that they advertise little blue pills for during breaks in sporting events.

shmack

i’d never heard of the term “edm” until blubuni clued me in late last summer. at first, i was not feeling this single, monolithic term to describe the vast array of electronically produced dance music… but i’ve come around. the fact that “edm” can encompass everything from junkie xl to jamie lidell (omg! i rhyme!) gives me hope that the world will unite under dance. granted, dance is subjective, and thus, the beauty of the concept.

but then again, the monolithic term “edm” really obscures the differences between the sub-genres. and quite frankly, with a couple exceptions, this whole thread has been talking about “edm” as a monolithic category. not that the individual sub-genres and djs are coherent entities anyways… but point being: just because it’s “edm” doesn’t mean that you will/won’t like it. in fact, there is something for everyone in “edm”

in practice, “edm” producers/djs are a lot like hip hop producers/djs: they reference the past, each other, creating a different aural (and physical) sensation that changes each time a record/track is played. it is the soundtrack for the future: change and adaptation is progress.

i had a life changing moment last summer: daft punk (is playing at my house) had a sold out show at the brooklyn minor league stadium. watching the entire stadium pause during the transition into “one more time” and then COLLECTIVELY go crazy as soon as the beat dropped was a religious experience. i highly recommend it for all. next time they tour.

joev
    Participant

I can handle the 5% of EDM that’s not written by robots from Frankfurt.

shmack

robots are from paris. duh.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

shmack wrote but then again, the monolithic term “edm” really obscures the differences between the sub-genres.

When I use to talk about “electronica” people would always give me this blank stare, to which I’d have to say “techno”, and then the light bulb would come on.

shmack wrote i had a life changing moment last summer: daft punk (is playing at my house) had a sold out show at the brooklyn minor league stadium. watching the entire stadium pause during the transition into “one more time” and then COLLECTIVELY go crazy as soon as the beat dropped was a religious experience. i highly recommend it for all. next time they tour.

Saw them at Coachella (’06), and thought the intro into Robot Rock that kicked off the set was the best 2 minutes of the entire weekend! The anticipation was insane, and when they dropped it, wow, I get goose bumps just thinking about it!

Wallis

It’s not really my thing, but I respect it–in the way I respect anyone trying to do something unique or interesting musically. I like a lot of “out” jazz, drones, noise, etc…stuff. I realize most people don’t dig it, but that’s ok. I really have no interest, at this point, in getting people into what I like. I don’t want to sound like someone into Phish who like “You have to lesten to them, man, and you’ll dig it”.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.