Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

A pet peeve I have when i'm talking about EDM

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat A pet peeve I have when i’m talking about EDM

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Ndcent

RAVER FORUM NOW!

enzo
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote i just like original sounds

hence why i hate 80% of all music from all music genres

edm is no different than all the other music genres out there

80% blah 20% good

just stating an unbiased opinion coming from someone that enjoys nearly every music genre known to man

what i have come to really hate from some edm dj’s that i have heard as of late… long pauses

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hate long pauses… hate em! 8)

THe long pauses are so hot when you are dancing….it makes you crazy…the anticpation..what is going to drop next….it makes me crazy with delight.

ChrisD28

People wonder why I don’t like Greenday or Good Charlotte if I say I am a fan of punk. My aunt knew that I liked jazz and bought me a Kenny G album that I could barely even convince myself to exchange due to the embarrassment of having to approach the counter at the store with a Kenny G album. I’ve been told that my father turns on the “smooth jazz” station only when I’m in the car because he thinks I like it. People wonder why I don’t like The Killers if I do like Echo & the Bunnymen, The Sound, early U2, The Chameleons and all of the other bands that are cited in Killers album reviews. And by the way, how can I love Patsy Cline but despise Shaniah Twain.

It is definitely true that people who don’t listen enough to any type of music are unable to hear the nuances, even the ones that seem blatantly obvious to the initiated and trained ear.

It drives me nuts sometimes until I start thinking about genres that I don’t know much about, such as EDM and classical. Then I realize that I have a harder time determining which sub-genre any give song/album/artist fits into. I can tell that songs sound different. I could probably even place a sampling of songs into groups that would roughly resemble the different sub-genres just because I am a total music dork and, as a result, have a good ear. But I can almost never name the sub-genre that a song came from.

So, in regard to EDM, I can’t discern which style is which but I do understand there are differences. I know what I like when I hear it at least, but couldn’t tell you genres just artists. The truth is that I dislike enough of it to have never made a concerted effort to familiarize myself with the various classifications.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

ChrisD28 wrote My aunt knew that I liked jazz and bought me a Kenny G album that I could barely even convince myself to exchange due to the embarrassment of having to approach the counter at the store with a Kenny G album.

spit out a little coffee on that one…nice :)

For me? 90% of the time EDM sounds exactly the same to me and I really don’t care about it…HOWEVER…there have been occasions where I’ve heard stuff that I absolutely loved and it completely stood out. I think it was Midislut or Lemon Lyman I heard at Lotus one time who had this like Latin groove with the music and I thought it was fantastic.

swan
    Participant

enzo wrote

Schoolboy wrote i just like original sounds

hence why i hate 80% of all music from all music genres

edm is no different than all the other music genres out there

80% blah 20% good

just stating an unbiased opinion coming from someone that enjoys nearly every music genre known to man

what i have come to really hate from some edm dj’s that i have heard as of late… long pauses

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr hate long pauses… hate em! 8)

THe long pauses are so hot when you are dancing….it makes you crazy…the anticpation..what is going to drop next….it makes me crazy with delight.

enzo ive never met you… or even know what you look like. but for some reason when i hear that song on the radio that goes “does the DJ knows what hes doing to meeee its getting harder to breaattthhheee” i imagine you at bristol.

i also hope that wasnt creepy.

enzo
    Participant

Well, I would never dance to that song, but yes that would accurately describe the feeling I am trying to explain. However, not all DJ’s bring have the same effect…..

I think it is a tease really….because you do not want it to end and the long pause makes you think it might and you are still vibrating from the sounds prior, when it kicks in it is so intense. What I don’t like is the end unless I am completely exhausted and ready to stop. It is like sex and the music finishes before you are finished and it is disappointing sometimes. :D

Daz
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote i

80% blah 20% good

you’re generous… :-D

If 2% of the music I have heard was “good,” I would be so stoked.

Schoolboy
    Participant

enzo wrote Well, I would never dance to that song, but yes that would accurately describe the feeling I am trying to explain. However, not all DJ’s bring have the same effect…..

I think it is a tease really….because you do not want it to end and the long pause makes you think it might and you are still vibrating from the sounds prior, when it kicks in it is so intense. What I don’t like is the end unless I am completely exhausted and ready to stop. It is like sex and the music finishes before you are finished and it is disappointing sometimes. :D

check please…

enzo
    Participant

Daz, you must go to Bristol Saturday evening…it will be so hot you will flip out.

dKilla

Daz wrote

Schoolboy wrote i

80% blah 20% good

you’re generous… :-D

If 2% of the music I have heard was “good,” I would be so stoked.

Stop listening to so much crappy music….it’s throwing off your ratio.

Daz
    Participant

^^ I’m moving relatively close to there soon… I’ll probably make the walk up a few nights so I can get my dance on.

scottlitch
    Participant

Let me say it again. You probably won’t understand EDM if you don’t DANCE… the build up – break down is how it works. It’s like running, in that, after a few minutes you get into a groove. If you don’t dance, you won’t get it.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

EDM really isn’t my thing generally, but on occasion have made attempts to figure out how all the different styles fit together. There was some website I came across with an interactive chart/diagram with a ton of different styles, and samples of what they sound like.

From the perspective of someone who knows little to nothing about the scene, it at least gave a better idea of some of the dominant themes.

I can’t remember what the website was though…so lot of use this post was.

enzo
    Participant

Schoolboy wrote

enzo wrote Well, I would never dance to that song, but yes that would accurately describe the feeling I am trying to explain. However, not all DJ’s bring have the same effect…..

check please…

What does that mean…check please….

Daz
    Participant

enzo wrote

Schoolboy wrote

check please…

What does that mean…check please….

:lol:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: