Our City Online

Messageboard - Travel

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

A Generational Shift in Travelers

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Travel A Generational Shift in Travelers

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Hipmunk CEO talks up Airbnb, Amtrak and generational shift

BY DENNIS SCHAAL, SKIFT

APR 06, 2013 10:09 AM

Adam Goldstein, the 25-year-old co-founder and CEO of travel metasearch company Hipmunk, believes there is a “generational shift” under way in travel.

Founded in 2010, Hipmunk is the only U.S. company to show Amtrak results mixed in with flights options, Goldstein says.

READ MORE: http://skift.com/2013/04/06/hipmunk-talks-up-airbnb-amtrak-and-hipmunk/

RhondaH

Interesting video and I expect more travel websites will be showing multiple modes of travel and lodging side by side. I am not sure I got the generational shift. Amtrak has stepped up its game on the East Coast a lot and is also taking advantage of the TSA issues and anti-terror delays of the airlines. For shorter and even midrange trips Amtrak is really becoming competitive. I wish we had more options in Columbus.

The thing I found most interesting is the end bit about wanting everything to be available on the phone. That I think is really the generational issue. I do probably 90% of my web surfing via my phone nowadays and if a site isn’t mobile savvy I tend to skip it.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Back in 2003-2004 United airlines had deals with Amtrak to get to some Atlantic coast cities via Newark NJ airport and then transfer to Amtrak for the last part of the trip. These deals would show up on whatever travel site I was using at the time (cant remember). It was handy to have the option. Sometimes it was a great deal, sometimes not depending on other flight options.

Nice to see these kinds of things available again. edit: although I just looked at the site and they did not have them.

mrmann

If you are on the East Coast Amtrak seems a nice and viable option. I was looking at taking a train from Pittsburgh to Atlanta though and it ended up being over twice the price and a ton of time. Hopefully they will rebuild the train passenger network over the decade. I do like the comfort of Amtrak and both the airlines and the train are a 1000 times better than my experiences on Greyhound.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So… I found this article to be pretty interesting, and particularly timely considering that Anne and I just took a trip last month utilizing Amtrak and AirBNB for travel and accommodations:

Travel: Washington DC via Amtrak

It was a fun trip, and a considerably cheaper method than airfare + hotel.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Travel’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: