Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Aston Place Apartments in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Aston Place Apartments in Victorian Village

This topic contains 45 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

Looks like the long vacant surface lot at 3rd and Dennison is going to see development. From the upcoming Victorian Village commission meeting –

No Address (Third & Dennison Avenues)

Sullivan Bruck Architects (Applicant) Plaza Properties (Owner)

This project has previously received a conceptual review.

Conceptual Review

• New construction of flats and townhouses per submitted drawings.

• Design includes 59-unit apartment building (Building A) and 10-unit townhouse building (Building B).

The following is taken from the Unapproved November 10, 2011 Victorian Village Commission Meeting Minutes:

Commissioner Comments

• Commissioner Berthold – Asked if there is any way to break the apartment building up with the use of more indentations (ie. façade/break/façade/break). Asked if there will be a wall between each townhouse unit on the rooftop level. Indicated that modernity could work at this site. The materials selection appears to be headed in the right direction. The apartment building should not be brick; the stone material and modern design are worth exploring.

•Commissioner Conte – The use of one large building for the apartment use is an issue. The previously approved development for the site was broken up into two buildings. Isn’t sure about the materials that have been indicated, but has not ruled them out. The City Code Standards for New Construction addresses materials of surrounding buildings, and states “New structures should look new, reflecting contemporary design standards…”. The current design seems “too heavy”; design techniques should be used to minimize its visual size.

•Commissioner Decker – There does not appear to be issues with the scale and massing or the overall design for this site. The “walk-outs” on the apartment building could be scaled back. The “stone-like” material could be a more traditional material while maintaining its modern design. It is evident that a great deal of design work and thought has gone into breaking up the mass of the building with its design (materials and shadow). The current style could be “ratcheted-back a little”.

•Commissioner Wood – Is in agreement with the other Commissioners’ comments.

From here – http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Victorian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2011/2011%20VVC%20DEC.agd.pdf

awd86ed

When I lived on Starr I always thought that something should be done with the empty space.

Mercurius
    Participant

Good news. They’ve been talking about that for years.

leftovers

great location

Cbusbill
    Participant

RIP to yet another surface parking lot in the urban core. Hazzah!!

rustbelt
    Participant

This reminds me (and this may have been discussed before) but what’s the deal with 789 Denison? Big empty building. Looks like it might have been a school or something similar at one point.

futureman
    Participant

rustbelt said:
    This reminds me (and this may have been discussed before) but what’s the deal with 789 Denison? Big empty building. Looks like it might have been a school or something similar at one point.

I think it was a hotel – “The Dennison Hotel opened 1/2/1899 and operated to 1930” as the address in the link below matches.

From here – http://digital-collections.columbuslibrary.org/cdm4/cml_item_viewer.php?cobj=1&CISOROOT=/ohio&CISOPTR=10612&REC=8

Interesting enough if picture below is indeed the same building it apparently lost two stories as the structure is only three now. It has the same number of windows, 5 across the front and two on the side, and they are of similar shape as the historic photo below.

The building was just purchased by “HISTORIC DENNISON HOTEL LLC” on 10/18/2011 – the address and phone number match up with The Woods Company which is a prominent developer in the area – perhaps the renovations will finally be completed.

futureman
    Participant

Apartments proposed for Victorian Village site instead of condos
    Premium content from Business First by Brian

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/futureman0/dennisonand3rd.jpg
    (click for full size image)

59 unit complex on the left, 5 or 10 unit townhomes on the right (the full articles confuses the number)

A site in Victorian Village targeted for a condominium project before the housing market collapsed may be developed as apartments.

Real estate investors Jason Snyder and Brian Barker want to build a 59-unit apartment complex and five townhouse-style duplexes along Dennison Avenue where developer Plaza Properties Inc. had hoped to build condos in 2007.

The Snyder Barker Investments partnership showed its housing plan to the Victorian Village Commission with expectations it would bring revised plans back for final approval in early 2012. The Sullivan Bruck Architects Inc. -designed project would include three levels of apartment flats above a 76-slot parking area. The 10 townhouses, which may be rented or put up for sale, would be accompanied by garages for 20 vehicles.

READ MORE:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/12/16/more-apartments-targeted-for-site.html

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Awesome news, but I’m slightly perplexed. It seems the commission is always complaining about new projects not fitting in with the aesthetics of existing structures in Vic Village, yet they like the “modern” look of these buildings?? “The apartment building should NOT be brick”??? Did I miss something here? Anyways, the buildings look great. The more neighbors, the merrier.

tree_sketcher
    Participant

^^ is there a site plan?

futureman
    Participant

I haven’t found a site plan yet, but it’s includes the vacant surface lot dennison and Star and the unoccupied former Doctors Hospital North building at 3rd and dennison.

futureman said:
    I haven’t found a site plan yet, but it’s includes the vacant surface lot dennison and Star and the unoccupied former Doctors Hospital North at 3rd and dennison.

Doctor’s Hospital is not unoccupied. Specialty Select runs a rehab facility, there is an urgent care and some doctor’s offices.

Which corner of 3rd/Starr/Dennison will this be built is what I wonder. The NE corner has a large surface lot, wholly unused. There is a ratty apt building on 3rd as well. That is what I am guessing. The SW corner is a surface lot being used.

I look forward to this going in. Bring some vitality to the area.

A.

Mercurius
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Awesome news, but I’m slightly perplexed. It seems the commission is always complaining about new projects not fitting in with the aesthetics of existing structures in Vic Village, yet they like the “modern” look of these buildings?? “The apartment building should NOT be brick”??? Did I miss something here? Anyways, the buildings look great. The more neighbors, the merrier.

About freaking time! Way to go VV Commission; now can you please educate your neighbors in IV. I think the design looks great. More of this please.

futureman
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    Doctor’s Hospital is not unoccupied. Specialty Select runs a rehab facility, there is an urgent care and some doctor’s offices.

Which corner of 3rd/Starr/Dennison will this be built is what I wonder. The NE corner has a large surface lot, wholly unused. There is a ratty apt building on 3rd as well. That is what I am guessing. The SW corner is a surface lot being used.

I look forward to this going in. Bring some vitality to the area.

A.

“Columbus-based Plaza Properties had hoped to build 86 condos on the 0.9-acre tract between West Third and Starr avenues. The company’s Valerian at Victorian Village project never got under way before the housing market faltered. The site has been on the market for $1 million. Snyder Barker Investments put two parcels taking up most of the site into contract, while the remaining 0.16-acre parcel along Starr Avenue is not part of the proposed development.

Victorian Village Commission Chairman Marc Conte said the panel welcomes redevelopment of the site near the offices that once served as Doctors Hospital North.”

“Everyone’s kind of excited to see that property come back,” he said.

The site includes a vacant medical office building and surface parking.

futureman
    Participant

Aston Place developer buys land, adds Schiff as partner
    Premium content from Business First by Brian R. Ball, Staff reporter
    Date: Friday, May 11, 2012, 6:00am EDT

Real estate investors Jason Snyder and Brian Barker have acquired 1.2 acres near West Third and Dennison avenues in Columbus for development of their Aston Place apartment project. The partners in Snyder Barker Investments LLC are working toward a late-July ground breaking.

Affiliate Aston Place Development LLC recently paid $906,000 for the first two parcels. The purchase of a 0.45-acre parcel under contract is set to close in July.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/05/11/aston-place-developer-buys-land-adds.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: