Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSIS - Underground Tunnel - Downtown Area Odor Control Project

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSIS – Underground Tunnel – Downtown Area Odor Control Project

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author

MRipley
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    Unlikely on dry weather days. The vast majority of overflows are associated with a rain event. The smell is coming from the manholes, not from the river anyway.

uh oh oops

SteveKZ087
    Participant

Anyone know what the Neil/Vine OSIS site is supposed to look like when construction ends? I stare at it out my apartment window every day, and the perpetual “construction site” aesthetic is getting pretty old.

I’m hopeful that they’ll dress up the completed site to at least *pretend* to blend in with the neighborhood…

News
    Participant

Columbus Underground Tunnel Work Not Moving As Fast As Expected
    By Kevin Landers
    Thursday February 27, 2014 3:59 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Columbus residents have been paying higher sewer rates for more than a decade as part of the largest and most expensive public works project ever in the city’s history.

Crews are building it so that the city will no longer have to dump raw sewage into the Scioto River, when pipes get overwhelmed during heavy rains. The question is – will it be done on time?

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/02/27/columbus-underground-tunnel-work-continues.html

News
    Participant

Major Columbus Tunnel Project Facing Costly Delays
    Tuesday June 24, 2014 10:15 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The city of Columbus’ most expensive public works project just got more expensive. Construction delays have pushed back the completion of the city’s underground tunnel. The tunnel is designed to prevent storm water overflows that result in raw sewage dumped into the Scioto River.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/06/24/columbus-tunnel-project-delay.html

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Major Columbus Tunnel Project Facing Costly Delays
    Tuesday June 24, 2014 10:15 PM

Ahh, this just answsered my question from another post re Blueprint Columbus – thanks News!

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/blueprint-columbus

It’s still bugging me that the mayor talks about spending x dollars on blueprint columbus plans instead of paying for tunnels but what has happened with all that has already been spent and built? Who’s accountable for what is possibly already hundreds of millions of dollars spent on the current project, what’s the status and why is there no mention of it?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I should add that the OSIS/OARS deep tunnel project is not the same thing as the odor control system.

News
    Participant

Columbus Underground Tunnel Won’t Be Done Until Mid-2017
    By Kevin Landers
    Thursday May 7, 2015 6:18 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Columbus’ underground storm sewer tunnel is the largest public works project in the city’s history and its millions of dollars over budget and years behind schedule. When finished, the tunnel will stretch from the waste water treatment plant on Frank Road all the way north near Nationwide Arena downtown.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/05/07/columbus-ohio-columbus-underground-tunnel-wont-be-done-until-mid-2017.html

OneBagTravel
    Participant

“We certainly aren’t excited about it being behind schedule that’s for sure”, said Blake.

HEY THANKS FOR THAT BLAKE

OneBagTravel
    Participant

What I meant to say earlier was that it looks like they’re flushing money down the drain.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m just disappointed that the naming rights we purchased to this project have ended up being attached to something getting bad press due to delays. :(

goldenidea
    Participant

From the linked article: “At 5-feet an hour, the massive 95-ton drill is doing its best to churn through miles of limestone. “We encountered more water than we anticipated so we had a big overhaul of the machine to deal with that,” Hall said.””

I wonder why they’ve encountered more water than anticipated. Drilled into a previously undetected/unexpected fractured bedrock zone? Plug off the water boys, them high water bills are hard to handle!

Analogue Kid
    Participant

From the linked article: “At 5-feet an hour, the massive 95-ton drill is doing its best to churn through miles of limestone. “We encountered more water than we anticipated so we had a big overhaul of the machine to deal with that,” Hall said.””

I wonder why they’ve encountered more water than anticipated. Drilled into a previously undetected/unexpected fractured bedrock zone? Plug off the water boys, them high water bills are hard to handle!

I read the studies done on the geology prior to the start of construction. The core samples they collected along the route ended up not being an accurate depiction of the subsurface conditions. There were more karst areas and the rock is highly variable thanks to the many glaciations the area has seen. It’s a very similar situation to what they encountered during construction of the Upper Scioto West tunnel in Hilliard/Dublin 25 years ago. https://books.google.com/books?id=WunH2aUCYmUC&lpg=PA105&ots=Cso-Fj9tPI&dq=Upper%20Scioto%20West%20interceptor&pg=PA105#v=onepage&q&f=false

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I was hoping no news was good news on this, I guess not. I was running along the Olentangy a week or so ago and I couldn’t help but notice 2 things. 1) How much the river had changed since they removed the dams, there were portions along OSU where you could forget where you were. I even saw a crane amongst the geese. And 2) how much sections of it smelled like a Porta Potty. I imagine the Scioto will have this same problem until they get this tunnel online. It’s the shame this has taken sooo long.

News
    Participant

Underground Sewer Project Completes Excavation Work
    September 10, 2015 2:58 pm – Walker Evans

The acronym-laden Olentangy Scioto Interceptor Sewer (OSIS) Augmentation Relief Sewer (OARS) tunnel project is quite a mouthful, which is appropriate seeing as it’s the largest capital project in the history of the City of Columbus. And after five years of ongoing work, the tunnel excavation is officially complete. Local leaders gathered today to celebrate the milestone at the tunnel’s north entrance at the edge of the Arena District.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/underground-tunnel-columbus

Nancy H
    Participant

Now that the OSIS and OARS tunnel is finished, can they move that big drill thing over to the courthouse and start working on the light rail tunnel under High Street?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE