Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

rory
    Participant

Just read the Dispatch editorial… seems a bit more inflammatory than informative.

The SNA and the City spent a lot of time and money getting a comprehensive plan for the area. The consultants spent a year looking at many different factors, so it is not just leveling wobbly desks.

The only person who has been involved it this issue for a long time is Randy Bowman, at the City.

Will there be opposition too whatever the plan is – you bet there will. You never make everybody happy.

I lived in the IV Permit area until recently. All of those residents got free parking permits because of a deal with Mayor Rinehart and the building of the Convention Center. When the City decided people would have to pay $25 for a permit, it was amazing how many residents, who had been parking on the street, started parking in their garage, gravel area off the alley, etc rather than pay for the permit.

One of the suggestions I made, when I was on the “talk with the neighbors and businesses” part of the preliminary discussions, was that residents should not be allowed to have on street permits if they had off street parking. I used my husband and myself as an example. We had a two car garage and two off street parking spaces behind the garage. I suggested that we not be entitled to an on street permit unless we owned five automobiles. That idea did not go over well, or make the cut for suggestions.

The City should just say these are public streets and we are going to implement this plan that utilizes them for the highest and best use.

@ Nancy H. By leveling wobbly desks I meant that the city is sitting on the study not that it wasn’t comprehensive. The consultants put in a lot of work from what I’ve seen. It seems from the little I’ve heard is that the fixes would be unpopular. I remember one problem being people weren’t crossing Summit and Fourth because they’re arterial streets and therefore wouldn’t park beyond Summit. But curing that problem through two-way conversion is a non-starter and the list went on. It seems that the parking fixes are going to piss off one constituency or another and so there are two possible outcomes. Wait until everyone is happy – which is never going to happen or sit on the study and not implement anything which seems to be what is happening

Nancy H
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div>
    We still have lots of people who park in the SN/VV/IV area and walk or take the bus downtown to work. Way more than most people think.

Probably even moreso in the past year due to the CBUS Circulator. You can park for free around Third and hop on at the north end to get Downtown.

About a year and a half ago, we had a rather large snowfall in the wee hours one morning. I had to take my husband over to OSU Medical Center for a test. I drove west on First Ave from High to Neil. I was amazed at the number of completely cleaned off cars parked on First. That was just before 9:30AM, so before most business and restaurant people would be coming to work in the SN. They had to be park and ride people, who filled in the parking spaces as residents left for work.

So, on the return trip around 10AM, I counted the cars. There were 54 of them, and that was just on First between Neil & High.

Nancy H
    Participant

The City will have to implement part of the plan. They are under a lot of pressure from the SNA. The Short North is a favorite child right now and gets a lot of good national publicity so they don’t want to alienate the SNA.

Add to that the number of Parking Permit Zone requests they have been sitting on, and more to come if the moratorium has been lifted.

Plus they get an endless number of complaints from everyday citizens about the $50 parking tickets in the permit zones. The permit zones are a hodgepodge. Most people can’t even understand the wording on the signs.

They should just go forward with the understanding that they will piss off EVERYBODY and be done with it.

mbeaumont
    Participant

They should just go forward with the understanding that they will piss off EVERYBODY and be done with it.

Agreed!

Clint41044
    Participant

Any updates on this project? With Edwards and Taco Bell progressing, this appears to be the last property needing to be developed on this block.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Business First just put up an article this afternoon on this: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/04/18/156-apartments-proposed-on-dollar-tree-site-south.html?ana=twt

The University Area Review Board, which last April approved zoning variances for the site, will review architectural details Thursday evening. It’s a conceptual review, meaning the developers will return later for a certificate of appropriateness.

wpcc88
    Participant

Wow a TON of action going on in this area, the apartment building right across the street is being renovated as well. The apartments further down King, Gateway/T-Bell, the Buckeye Real Estate renos; the area is almost unrecognizable from 2 years ago.

Pablo
    Participant

Wow a TON of action going on in this area, the apartment building right across the street is being renovated as well. The apartments further down King, Gateway/T-Bell, the Buckeye Real Estate renos; the area is almost unrecognizable from 2 years ago.

Don’t forget the library! Yeah, 7th to 9th – total transformation.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Still no Trader Joe’s. Bummer.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE