Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I finally had to stop reading the fbook comments for any of the development topics, way too frustrating.

Facebook is the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of thoughtful conversations.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

On a closer reading of the full application (residential floor plans), it’s worth noting that there’s an indication they’ll be targeting both young professionals and students.

They show the building roughly divided into two semi-independent parts, with the southern Short North-facing portion being geared more toward YPs (studio and 1-br) and the northern OSU-facing half having higher bed counts per unit.

Weird. When I became a YP, the last place I wanted to live was in a bldg shared with lots of undergrads.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

Many fail to realize this. It’s hard to target a specific group in that area that’s not undergrad. Many developers are selling this YP market in the area but then they add the 3-4 bed units. There are many undergrads that’s content on 1-2 beds and are also willing to pay the price. I would never want to live in a building, paying premium, where there are 3+ beds. I think that will be the hardest sell on these types of projects. It’d be nice if that transition area would embrace the studio-2 bed model.

Zekequinn89
    Participant

any updates on this project?

WJT
    Participant

^^ Well apparently this design was so popular that they decided to tweak it a bit and build it downtown on High between Gay and Long!!! lol

heresthecasey
    Participant

The University Area Commission recommended the city approve the necessary variances, I’m not sure what the status is with UARB.

rory
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Zekequinn89 wrote:</div>

The University Area Commission recommended the city approve the necessary variances, I’m not sure what the status is with UARB.

There was a twist. The UAC zoning committee voted to pass the variances but the full commission voted against it 11-9 if I remember the tally correctly. The city’s traffic engineering department came out against the variances in between the meetings because they’re wasn’t enough parking included. That swayed the vote. I’m not sure what happens to the project now but the whole parking scene is starting to stifle density. I hope the city starts to figure something out sooner than later because it’s becoming a major development issue imho.

mbeaumont
    Participant

That is so short-sighted. This development is smack in the middle of the two most walkable neighborhoods in the city and across the street from a grocery store and a CoGo station. Not to mention it is on High St, so busses drive by at the rate of about 1 every 5 minutes. It’s also one of the densest neighborhoods for Car2Go. Parking variances should not be an issue here whatsoever.

Nancy H
    Participant

That is so short-sighted… Parking variances should not be an issue here whatsoever.

I agree, BUT, the City put a moratorium on Permit Parking Zones for SN/IV/VV residents two years or so ago. I would venture to guess it will be difficult to get parking variances supported while the Short North Parking Plan is still a big unknown. The unknown factor is making long term residents overly protective of parking.

Maybe Walker (or some of you folks) knows where the SNPP is as far as getting it implemented. They were really quick to add some additional parking spaces here and there on High St but nothing since then. If they just announced the plan and a timeline it would make a big difference.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I agree, BUT, the City put a moratorium on Permit Parking Zones for SN/IV/VV residents two years or so ago. I would venture to guess it will be difficult to get parking variances supported while the Short North Parking Plan is still a big unknown. The unknown factor is making long term residents overly protective of parking.

True, though I think this site is outside of that zone and inside the University Area / Weinland Park.

Maybe Walker (or some of you folks) knows where the SNPP is as far as getting it implemented. They were really quick to add some additional parking spaces here and there on High St but nothing since then. If they just announced the plan and a timeline it would make a big difference.

I think Brent has been checking in on it from time to time. I’ll see if he has an update.

Nancy H
    Participant

Yes Walker it is outsize the SNPP area. The south end of the UA/WP areas will be impacted by the SNPP too. If people can’t find free parking in the SNPP area any more they will venture just beyond.

We still have lots of people who park in the SN/VV/IV area and walk or take the bus downtown to work. Way more than most people think.

rory
    Participant

I thought the parking permit moratorium expired. I do know that the SNPP goes to 7th Avenue, within 30 ft. of the 7th and High project. Close but not close enough. There needs to be a comprehensive plan for the University District and the Short North because just instituting the SNPP will just squeeze the balloon northwards. That being said I’ve heard the SNPP is essentially leveling up wobbly desks and propping doors open downtown hence the editorial in the Dispatch today urging the city to get off their ass even if it’s unpopular.

Nancy H
    Participant

Just read the Dispatch editorial… seems a bit more inflammatory than informative.

The SNA and the City spent a lot of time and money getting a comprehensive plan for the area. The consultants spent a year looking at many different factors, so it is not just leveling wobbly desks.

The only person who has been involved it this issue for a long time is Randy Bowman, at the City.

Will there be opposition too whatever the plan is – you bet there will. You never make everybody happy.

I lived in the IV Permit area until recently. All of those residents got free parking permits because of a deal with Mayor Rinehart and the building of the Convention Center. When the City decided people would have to pay $25 for a permit, it was amazing how many residents, who had been parking on the street, started parking in their garage, gravel area off the alley, etc rather than pay for the permit.

One of the suggestions I made, when I was on the “talk with the neighbors and businesses” part of the preliminary discussions, was that residents should not be allowed to have on street permits if they had off street parking. I used my husband and myself as an example. We had a two car garage and two off street parking spaces behind the garage. I suggested that we not be entitled to an on street permit unless we owned five automobiles. That idea did not go over well, or make the cut for suggestions.

The City should just say these are public streets and we are going to implement this plan that utilizes them for the highest and best use.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

We still have lots of people who park in the SN/VV/IV area and walk or take the bus downtown to work. Way more than most people think.

Probably even moreso in the past year due to the CBUS Circulator. You can park for free around Third and hop on at the north end to get Downtown.

Nancy H
    Participant

It is not just residents who are clogging the truly public spaces – the parking meters. The SNPP study showed that the majority of employees parked within a few blocks of where they worked. I suspect it is nearly the same for business owners.

The City removed the parking meters from around IV Park and made that area an employee zone. It also included E Hubbard, in front of the HUB garage. Employees will not park there. Too far to walk, even though they worked along High south of Hubbard. A business/employee parking permit for the IV Zone is $100 per year. Good 24/7. If you park at a meter on High, at 75 cents per hour, and work a 40 hour week – it costs you $1,560 per year to park at a meter.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: