Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 6-story Mixed-Use Building Proposed for 7th/High (Dollar Tree)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

An application was filed with the city last week for a 6-story mixed-use building on High between 7th and Euclid, the current site of Dollar Tree and Campus Laundry.

Some main points are,
    140 parking spaces
    16,000 sqft ground floor retail
    156 units

Full proposal available here, http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=78615

columbusmike
    Participant

Very nice. Will be good to see this area developed finally.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

And High Street continues to be on fire! Glad to see something proposed for that section of High. The building looks pretty substantial too. This makes our 3rd(?) High Street project rendering for the week. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very cool.

Sounds like they’re asking for a lot of variances in their application. I wouldn’t be surprised if it does get some revisions before moving forward.

WJT
    Participant

I wonder how many beds there area as opposed to units, given that it is geared toward students? Might make more of a difference with the parking amount and all. Would not matter as much if we had a STREETCAR! Maybe piling in the density with not enough parking can help bring it about? ;)

Could be refined a bit, but I at least like how they broke up the front and have what appear to be common areas that will overlook High street.

And it is surely a great improvement over what is currently there.

At this rate with all of this development High will be filled in from OSU to downtown in no time.

I also think being across from the big Kroger lot will help it look less imposing since there will be nothing but open area to the south.

Mike88
    Participant

Glad to see that block being fixed up.
    I know this is early in the process so there will likely be some design revisions but I think this looks alright. I do see how this could look dated quick if they cheap out on the building materials though, given that this is an out of town company and they are building with students in mind I get a bit nervous about that happening.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

How about the small parcel of land on the edge of the Kroger parking lot? There were plans to build retail there to mask some of the parking. Any word on this?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Yeah, I’m shocked that that parcel hasn’t been utilized yet. Seems like such a no brainer to build there. You could put up a sweet little flatiron building there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

How about the small parcel of land on the edge of the Kroger parking lot? There were plans to build retail there to mask some of the parking. Any word on this?

I haven’t heard anything beyond those original announcements made prior to Kroger opening. I wonder if the idea is still feasible with Kroger being as crazy busy as it always is. Any outparcel development there is likely to be no more than 2 stories, and anything that goes into it would likely require some parking spaces to be utilized in the Kroger lot. Maybe Kroger is in no hurry to build it out?

wpcc88
    Participant

It would’ve been cool if they built their liquor store as a stand alone unit in that lot. But I guess that ship has sailed.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

There seemed to be alot of negativity towards this on Facebook but I couldn’t figure out what exactly they objected to. Size? Design? Parking? Rent prices?

A couple of people lamented the loss of the Dollar Tree and laundry, but seems like the could just relocate nearby.

WJT
    Participant

There seemed to be alot of negativity towards this on Facebook but I couldn’t figure out what exactly they objected to. Size? Design? Parking? Rent prices?

A couple of people lamented the loss of the Dollar Tree and laundry, but seems like the could just relocate nearby.

Disgruntled anti-growthers. (see the specific development post on this project)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>

Disgruntled anti-growthers. (see the specific development post on this project)

I finally had to stop reading the fbook comments for any of the development topics, way too frustrating.

lbl
    Participant

This project should include balconies for the High St units.

heresthecasey
    Participant

On a closer reading of the full application (residential floor plans), it’s worth noting that there’s an indication they’ll be targeting both young professionals and students.

They show the building roughly divided into two semi-independent parts, with the southern Short North-facing portion being geared more toward YPs (studio and 1-br) and the northern OSU-facing half having higher bed counts per unit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO