Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

6 Story building proposed to replace Rebecca Ibel building in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 6 Story building proposed to replace Rebecca Ibel building in Short North

This topic contains 37 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  mbeaumont 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

surber17
    Participant

Why remove the balconies?

mbeaumont
    Participant

Yeah, I guess I hadn’t seen the update from January. This makes no sense at all. The design of this seems to have gone totally backwards.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I don’t really like the design. I do like the idea of smaller more affordable apartments in the Short North though.

Without the pricing being announced I wouldn’t hold my breath on it being actually affordable. My guess is that it’ll be above $700 per unit. A project this size isn’t cheap, even at the micro level.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Without the pricing being announced I wouldn’t hold my breath on it being actually affordable. My guess is that it’ll be above $700 per unit. A project this size isn’t cheap, even at the micro level.

Affordability is relative. Some would consider $700 for a new build in the Short North right on High to be a steal if the amenities are nice. Others might think it’s too much money.

Mike88
    Participant

Yeah, I guess I hadn’t seen the update from January. This makes no sense at all. The design of this seems to have gone totally backwards.

Completely agree.

Usually I’m all about the new developments going in but this is totally unappealing to me.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div>
    I don’t really like the design. I do like the idea of smaller more affordable apartments in the Short North though.

The original Dispatch article mentioned rents of $750.00 to $950.00 a month, for slightly less than 600 square feet(about 540 square feet).

dru
    Participant

The lot is fenced off and it looks like they are removing parts of the old building in prep for demolition.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ha! I just got a photo too. ;)

mbeaumont
    Participant

Demo began this morning.

demo

cadillackid
    Participant

I actually like the design of this building!! and if its true an apartment could be had for that 700-750 range.. I’ll be the first (im sure last in a LONG LONG LINE) to try and get one.. just to have a crash pad in downtown away from my suburban-boring neighborhood….

I like the modern structures popping up in the short north area.. that mix of modern and old excites me.. let high street go modern then bam! one block east or west and its completely historic.. thats iconic in my mind… I hope this trend continues
    -Christopher

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Looks like 80s architecture. wtf

Nancy H
    Participant

I agree. The design is unappealing. It does nothing for the street scape and actually burdens the vintage buildings around it.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

There is nothing special about the front and the rear is a lot of big windowless sections of plain concrete.

Great concept but poorly executed. So much for small affordable units in the SN.

mbeaumont
    Participant

Yeah, I’m holding out hope that this building looks a lot better in real life than the renderings, because the renderings are…not great.

wpcc88
    Participant

What’s the word on this, there has been construction fencing up for months and nothing else.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.