Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5XNW Pizza Crawl - 10/02/14 - 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 5XNW Pizza Crawl – 10/02/14 – 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

I think the USPS calls the office Tri-Village office. I always liked the name “Tri-Village”.

Anyways, pizza anyone?

At least tri-village has been around for a while.

drew
    Participant

So, there’s an area of town called Fifth by Northwest…

Everything you say is good and well and true and reasonable, but none of it resolves the nature of the conflict.

Becky and pals want credit for the work they’re doing. It’s very likely good work, making sure that the area has the kind of things that residents & businesses would expect from a middle class neighborhood. Credit is very likely deserved.

But everyone lumps the neighborhood in with ‘Grandview’ and this upsets them to no end… like, really upsets them. Every time someone innocently refers to it as ‘Grandview’, it amounts to credit due but denied in their minds. And, I can kinda sorta understand that.

So… what are they to do? I see two options, but I’m open to there being others:

1) Accept common usage, accept that businesses find value in falling under the Grandview umbrella, accept marketing from Destination Grandview and the like, and allow the improvements and positive responses from residents and businesses to be credit enough.

2) Find an appropriate name and market the hell out of it. Neighborhood signs, social media, Destination Grandview-style website, etc. Run an education campaign to gain mindshare… because there is next to none now (and because the neighborhood 5XNW resents being mistaken for is apparently marketing 5XNW under their name).

What I can’t imagine being an option is the status-quo (in which 5XNW emphatically berates others for using ‘Grandview’ and then turns around and uses it themselves). Truth be told, it’s just weird and conspicuously amateurish, and it’s a shame that that is what they’re getting credit for.

Bear
    Participant

Google Trends search

I don’t know that there’s much rhyme or reason to which new neighborhood names stick and which ones don’t. But I don’t think this one is taking off.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I learned a lot about my neighborhood in this thread. I always called it Grandview based on everyone knowing what that is but technically I am in Columbus. I also have heard Tri-Village over the years. I’m fine with 5xNW as long as it catches on. I’ll be at the event eating pizza! Grandads FTW.

Holy crap… “5XNW/Grandview North of Third”?! Really?

I still don’t get the 5xNW thing… it’s like this 5xNW group is determined to own for themselves what everyone thinks of as the cheesy chain store part of Grandview, and paper over the banal reality of it all with a hopelessly 90′s era faux-authentic wannabe hip name.

Just to be clear, nobody is saying ‘hey, lets go to Fifth by Northwest’. I doubt they ever will.

Drew, you sound like a fun dude.

sperk101
    Participant

Humpf. I’ve lived in “Grandview” for 10 years and didn’t know I actually lived in 5xNW until last year when a sign went up on the grassy median in front of my house. I still refer to my home as in Grandview because that’s the common name of the area.

But when I see a pothole that needs filled, or need to complain about trash in my alley, or pay a parking ticket…I contact the proper officials at the City of Columbus. I see the distinction for myself and those neighborhood services, but the name is the name it’s going to be and there’s not much the commission can do about that.

I am glad that the 5xNW commission exists though. They certainly have advocated for nice changes to this corridor often forgotten by the City of Columbus and never touched by the lofty tax dollars of Grandview proper.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Humpf. I’ve lived in “Grandview” for 10 years and didn’t know I actually lived in 5xNW until last year when a sign went up on the grassy median in front of my house. I still refer to my home as in Grandview because that’s the common name of the area.

Just curious… do people do this in other areas? Like if you live close to Bexley, but your address is not actually Bexley, do people go around saying that they live in Bexley? Or Powell? Or Dublin? Or Worthington?

Because very technically, it’s wrong. You’re claiming to live in a different city. Kinda weird…

drew
    Participant

Most of the people I know who say they live in Grandview actually don’t, technically speaking. From my experience it does seem fairly unique to Grandview/5XNW, though I did work for a company that was located north of Mr. Air and referred to itself as being in Worthington.

I suspect that there was such a lack of identity in the 5XNW neighborhood that the residents took to calling it Grandview for want of some kind of commonly understood reference point.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Had a blast last night. Perfect weather for the walk to each pizza joint. Friends and I made a pit-stop at Winking Lizard for an in between drink.

If you attended don’t forget to vote! http://bit.do/5XNW

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Had a blast last night. Perfect weather for the walk to each pizza joint. Friends and I made a pit-stop at Winking Lizard for an in between drink.

If you attended don’t forget to vote! http://bit.do/5XNW

Nice! Sounds like it was a fun time! :D

Bear
    Participant

Just curious… do people do this in other areas? Like if you live close to Bexley, but your address is not actually Bexley, do people go around saying that they live in Bexley? Or Powell? Or Dublin? Or Worthington?

Because very technically, it’s wrong. You’re claiming to live in a different city. Kinda weird…

Good question. There are odd little pieces of Columbus all over the place, like the strip between Bexley and Whitehall or the jagged little tract that separates Dublin from Hilliard. Seems to me that people tend to refer to themselves as being from one or the other adjacent suburbs rather than from the seemingly distant big city, even though it’s technically incorrect.

edg126
    edg126
    Participant

I’ve always lived in Columbus, but went to Worthington schools. If I was talking to someone from the area, I would say I was from Worthington. I was more connected to Worthington than Columbus.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Actually Not Groveport is about 5X the size of Actual Groveport.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I’ve always lived in Columbus, but went to Worthington schools. If I was talking to someone from the area, I would say I was from Worthington. I was more connected to Worthington than Columbus.

I think it comes down to who wants to actually take credit for the community in this case. The stuff going on in 5xNW isn’t associated with Grandview (something I learned from this thread). So it’s basically giving credit where credit is due.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

A friend said that Halwani won the pizza crawl.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE