Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5XNW Pizza Crawl - 10/02/14 - 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 5XNW Pizza Crawl – 10/02/14 – 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus Underground. The only place where people get outraged about what neighborhoods are called.

Come now. That’s not true at all.

Cityside
    Participant

The list of Pizza Places competing for the best slice is final!
    The event will start at the Ohio Taproom on Third & NW – Then fan out to the following locations:
    -Grandads
    -zPizza
    -Halwani’s (around the corner from Mazza) on Grandview Ave.
    -Dewey’s
    -Romeo’s &
    -Mama Mimi’s
    Join us for some pizza, beer & fun! 6- 8pm Thursday Oct 2nd!

Cityside
    Participant

Maps will be provided at the Ohio Taproom of suggested routes!!
    Beer and drinks will be available throughout the Pizza Crawl!
    Any questions, email us at [email protected]!
    See you there!

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Becky, who’s going to cook the Mama Mimi’s?

drew
    Participant

While I find the neighborhood argument a total bummer, and I could go on and on about that and why it is such a bummer…

I kinda wish you would. Here’s what I can’t understand:

Grandview has long promoted businesses well outside of its boundaries under the umbrella of ‘Grandview Area’. This seems unique relative to comparable municipalities (Bexley, for example) and seems fairly selfless and well-meant. The effect of this, over a long period of time, has been that the boundaries have become blurred in public perception, and businesses outside of the Grandview boundaries have benefitted by association.

5XNW, in contrast, seeks to make sharp distinctions, and is eager to chip away at the scope of the Grandview ‘brand’. But, 5XNW has no brand recognition of its own (and apparently a lot of chain pizza shops…) so I can’t understand how they think they’re acting in the best interest of the businesses they purport to represent by forcing this ungainly new name on them and causing such strife.

I get that they’re an advocacy group, and can petition the city to make repairs and improvements, but they’re kind of turning it into a deal with the devil from the perspective of the businesses they represent – street level improvements in exchange for a loss of identity.

There’s a whole hell of a lot going on just beneath the surface here – I’ve been privy to some of it – and I can’t help but think it’d benefit from some sunlight.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Grandview has long promoted businesses well outside of its boundaries under the umbrella of ‘Grandview Area’.

The City of Grandview is promoting businesses outside its boundaries?

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drew wrote:</div>
    Grandview has long promoted businesses well outside of its boundaries under the umbrella of ‘Grandview Area’.

That’s a good question! Destination Grandview promotes events both within and outside of Grandview proper, and clearly positions the City of Grandview front-and-center, so I’m not sure what to make of it (couldn’t find anything on the website to indicate who runs it). If DG is not associated with the City of Grandview, then that makes it all waaay weirder, though no less problematic.

Either way, the original point still stands – there’s an entity promoting the area in a unified manner, and there’s an entity that seems dedicated to cutting it into pieces. It strikes me as though there needs to be some sort of resolution.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>drew wrote:</div>

Yes! For another example, see Laura’s post from page 3 of this thread:

I’m involved in the Grandview area in a number of capacities (Grandview Area Chamber Secretary, Grandview Craft Beer Alliance Founder, marketing for the City of Grandview Heights, The Ohio Taproom, Four String and a few other businesses in the area) and would like to promote information on this event.

Cityside
    Participant

Mama Mimi’s is checking into staffing and may just participate out of their Gentiles shop although they thought it was an excellent idea from a marketing prospective… More to come checking with Romeos!

Calling the area the Grandview area is fine… Just give us some credit too! Most people credit Grandview thinking that Grandview heights did all of this urban planning and led the charge when it was actually the other way around with our neighborhood being in place years prior to theirs … I like Grandview I love the area I’ve lived here on and off since 2001… I know the grandview heights folks and invited them to participate in many of our events and they were a part of the last pizza crawl in 2012… But check out our website we are more than just advocacy… And remember us when a biz opens between third and kinnear we probably were behind it! http://Www.fifthbynorthwest.org

drew
    Participant

Calling the area the Grandview area is fine…

That makes for a marked change of tone… why does the public attitude towards the matter differ so radically from the private one?

And remember us when a biz opens between third and kinnear we probably were behind it!

In what sense?

Cityside
    Participant

We probably approved it’s zoning definetly provided city services maybe met with its owners to help launch it… Provided recycling opportunities planted trees did traffic planning to support it created a park nearby (we r in the process of creating two)… We should get some credit… Put in bike lanes do it’s workers can have other options besides cars… Worked with Cota on bus routes…

Graybeak
    Participant

Metro Grandview area?

rdmeeker
    Participant

So, there’s an area of town called Fifth by Northwest. It has an area commission and clearly defined boundaries approved (I assume in some sort of charter fashion) by the City of Columbus. The Fifth by Northwest Area Commission has duties and responsibilities afforded by the City of Columbus. It’s not just a term used by some group of neighborhood snobs.

It is factual that those boundaries include places that many people think of as “Grandview.” The term “Grandview” seems to cover Fifth by Northwest and Grandview Heights and – at the risk of starting more arguments – Marble Cliff. The popular name is really neither here nor there. My grandma calls Hilliard Hilliards, but that doesn’t make it so.

My point is that we can call the area whatever we like, but on a map and for all official business, there are three distinct cities (including the village of Marble Cliff) within the “Grandview” area. If I want to start a business or get a permit or pay a parking ticket, I can’t go to “Grandview” City Hall.

The Fifth by Northwest Area Commission should take very seriously it’s responsibility to the areas within its boundaries and should promote the area.

To that end, they are having a Pizza Crawl to promote businesses within the official, city-approved boundaries of a very real neighborhood. They should call it the 5xNW Pizza Crawl (I’m looking at you commission for adding the term North Grandview or whatever to your promotional materials).

The list of Pizza Places competing for the best slice is final!<br>
    The event will start at the Ohio Taproom on Third & NW – Then fan out to the following locations:<br>
    -Grandads<br>
    -zPizza<br>
    -Halwani’s (around the corner from Mazza) on Grandview Ave.<br>
    -Dewey’s<br>
    -Romeo’s &<br>
    -Mama Mimi’s<br>
    Join us for some pizza, beer & fun! 6- 8pm Thursday Oct 2nd!

The official entities should call things by their official name – like, say, Grandview Heights High School rather than Grandview High. The rest of us should be able to do what we like without fear of persecution.

I’m always going to be pedantic and call it Fifth by Northwest because that’s factual, but then again, I also call that area around Rome-Hilliard and 270 Columbus rather than Hilliard. And I don’t call anything Hilliards.

maveric1
    Participant

I think the USPS calls the office Tri-Village office. I always liked the name “Tri-Village”.

Anyways, pizza anyone?

kit444
    Participant

Metro Grandview area?

Granderview?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE