Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5XNW Pizza Crawl - 10/02/14 - 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 5XNW Pizza Crawl – 10/02/14 – 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Allow me to explain. If someone incorrectly calls Beechwold Clintonville, nobody will get too terribly upset.

False.

Perhaps you just have heard the 5xNW people more often than the Beechwold people. But they’re out there.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I saw pizza in the title and that’s the only part I cared about.

sounds yummy.

drew
    Participant

Is there even anything along the lines of a Beechwold Area Commission or something similar? I couldn’t find anything with a quick search.

The 5xNW commish is real, and it’s… odd. More than a little hypocritical, too, apparently.

cadillackid
    Participant

Grandview only starts at 3rd – 75% or 80% of the businesses that people say are in Grandview are really in 5XNW. We were told by the City that our name couldn’t reference “Grandview” it is a separate municipality and we have a different Mayor, recycling effort, Zoning Board, Police force, taxes, bike lanes…

We had over 200 people two years ago attend the event – it was very popular, and maybe 75 the first time 4 years ago – it IS well attended. And, this isn’t the only event we’ve done successfully – we probably had 1,000 people and the Mayor of Columbus and his whole cabinet – last fall… and a community night last spring with maybe 75 people again! :)

We do a lot of good for the hood – and the City of Columbus in general – we started (successfully) the whole free curbside recycling program – we’ve oversee zoning for the whole area (Third to Olentangy River Road, Kinnear to Northstar/Wyandotte)… and soon will be bringing a “greenspace” (somewhat thru Recs & Parks) but not officially so it isn’t a “park” on King and Olentangy adjacent to the river.

We are public officials that oversee as volunteers the whole area of Columbus that is in-between UA, Grandview Heights proper, Marble Cliff and the University Area Commission – and have worked with the developers of all of most of the new businesses and restaurants that exist between these boundaries – as well as Car2Go, etc. We recently put in new sidewalks on Grandview Avenue, King Avenue, and are applying for new sidewalks on Northwest Blvd. and Northstar… as well as other improvements to the neighborhood. We petitioned the City to repave 5th Avenue and part of King – as well fixing many of the alleys that were in bad repair… and may do decorative street lights throughout the area if there is enough money in the grant.

We worked to develop Loops, Mazza, part of Grandview Yard (although we lost on them following the urban development plan :), Woodlands Patio, and the new hotel on Olentangy River Rd. (and we may get more redevelopment along that corridor), we helped Wendy’s to rebrand their stores on 5th and Olentangy to bring those up-to-date… and oversaw the Mews development as well as “Granvdview Village” behind the Kroger’s… AND, the Kroger’s expansion (with accompanying signage updates & sidewalks – and the gas station… and landscaping and we are working on more on this property).

We fixed hundreds of potholes, burnt out street lights, and we were instrumental in starting the Farmer’s Market on Grandview Avenue, the bike lanes on King, the soon to be bike path on Third, the widening of the underpass on Third… which is coming soon, and the Community Garden that feeds the homeless at Blvd. Presbyterian Church (through the 43212 Civic that we started).

And, we will oversee the Rife’s redevelopment and the Giant Eagle… :) We have worked hard on the Suboxome Clinic remediation (better planning to accommodate this in need population), and have done studies on traffic flow and are currently working with the City to improve that – we installed the turn lanes on King Avenue (and planted trees through the Civic on 5th). We just don’t get a lot of credit for everything… everyone calls it “Grandview” and gives them the credit. We can’t change our name without reforming the Area Commission… it had to be a unique name… so, we like to think of it like North by Northwest (the movie) or South by Southwest the music festival.

We put into place Urban Commercial Overlays working with City Planners and architectural standards that make it very attractive to developers – and bring all about many of these new fun places to go… such as Miller’s Ale House, Matt the Millers, Jimmy V’s (back in the day), Bibop, Loops, the Rude Dog redevelop, the Ohio Taproom, Dewey’s Pizza…

Just give us a little credit – we do a lot of good… :) We may just have a “funny” name! And, this event is meant to celebrate the walkability, the variety of pizza places – due to neighborhood’s Italian heritage, be fun (a little pizza and maybe some beer…), get people out exploring new places, give our locally owned pizza shops (and maybe a few corporate shops – as we don’t want to leave them out). :).

I actually walk this area quite frequently.. I realize my name isnt ‘walker’ on this board.. but I walk our city 5-10 miles per day.. I find im often hanging out at more businesses near or north of third than I do i grandview proper.. its just the name I had never even heard of before.. the word ‘pizza’ in this thread title is what caught my attention.. I definitely see a lot of development and improvement in this whole area of the city as I walk.. I usually park my plug-in car at either the chargers at OSU / kinnear or at the electrical trade center and walk.. having sidewalks most everywhere I walk in that area is definitely Nice indeed!! also most of the major intersections have working walk-signals some of them even the newer timer-display type… Kudos for your group in making this area a place where i feel safe and comfortable walking…

Now if grandview could get their act together and re-install the walk signals at northwest and goodale that they removed i’d be much happier.. (ive almost been run-over twice trying to cross there from the public EV chargers behind the electrical trades center!!!)
    -Christopher

cadillackid
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>
    I still call it “The Columbus part of Grandview”.

As everyone else does. And, in doing so, nothing of value is lost (and the ability to actually understand where they’re talking about is gained).

really the deal is that the people doing the work in the area just want to be recognized i believe….. after all as mentioned here many times the average visitor has no idea.. in fact ive heard more than once from people (hey when you go to grandview watch out, half of it has parking meters half of it doesnt).. they have no concept its actually a dividing line. I really never did until I asked the parking meter guy one afternoon and he told me it was actually columbus north of 3rd…

its like anyone though… everyone wants their own work recognized… no different than when someone says ‘i was on the lead development team of this succesful product, I helped develop this software!’ when in reality they were really part of the team that built the office furniture and set up the PC’s for the programmers.. still extremely important but honestly no one ever thought of those guys.. on the programmers… same deal here.. the people getting the updates done in 5XNW were being lumped in with the grandview people. and they wanted their name in lights too..
    -Christopher

drew
    Participant

really the deal is that the people doing the work in the area just want to be recognized i believe…

I get that, and I can respect that. But if you want to be known as the guy that got the job done, instead of being known as the guy that wears the clown costume, then take off the clown costume.

DavidF
    Participant

I think I understand what’s going on here.

Look dude, 5XNW is just not that into you. I know it hurts, but seriously, it’s time to move on. There are plenty of other neighborhoods in the sea.

AMEEKER
    Participant

I think I understand what’s going on here.

Look dude, 5XNW is just not that into you. I know it hurts, but seriously, it’s time to move on. There are plenty of other neighborhoods in the sea.

+1

Cityside
    Participant

We are getting a great response on pizza places for the crawl and participants that are going to be attending! Dewey’s, Grandad’s, Mama Mimi’s, Halwani’s and ZPizza – just to name a few!… Look for us at the Grandview Art Hop (which is all in 5XNW ironically) passing out flyers about the event, look for our posters in the windows of the spots that are promoting their ‘za and suds – such as The Ohio Taproom… and join us in the fun!

We are expecting 50-75 people proving what a great neighborhood 5XNW is – at least – maybe more! It is walkable, friendly, has a lot of great restaurants… so let’s see who gets the bragging rights for the best spot at this bi-annual event!

(Oh and next event that we’re putting together right now for November will be a community meeting to discuss the development plans for the old Giant Eagle-location on the corner of 5th & Grandview… working with City Planners, Liaisons, and such right now to put it together… More to come!)

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Look for us at the Grandview Art Hop (which is all in 5XNW ironically)

Nonsense. It most certainly is not.

Graybeak
    Participant

Here.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

drew
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cityside wrote:</div>
    Look for us at the Grandview Art Hop (which is all in 5XNW ironically)

Nonsense. It most certainly is not.

There they go again… geography is clearly not their strong suit (unless they’ve annexed Grandview Ave. down to 1st).

kit444
    Participant

Columbus Underground. The only place where people get outraged about what neighborhoods are called.

Cityside
    Participant

OK most of it is! :)… Until Third…:) (3/4ths?)
    OH and the Giant Eagle Discussion is a community forum that will be a structured community event to discuss public input about the communities’ point of view of what should go into that space… a chance for community discussion – hoping to have a community business meeting focused on that area – reviewing our Urban Commercial Overlay/Neighborhood Plan – which had architects, city planners, business owners, and residents input! :)

And, per the schools comment – I believe that Grandview Heights leases the football field from the City of Columbus… or some such arrangement – is what I’ve heard… so technically it may be C-bus too, but Grandview has “the rental option to use it” (forever).

Just spoke to the Ohio Taproom, and they are excited about this event – back to the Pizza Crawl… working with Mama Mimi’s to maybe have them onsite to offer some ‘za onsite (since they are so far away from the rest of the spots), may have a Clintonville Area Commissioner with us to walk the ‘hood Crawl…, and Dewey’s is planning to set out a nice spread as well… so should be fun! Heard from Clintonville folks that we are lucky to have so many great artisan pizza places (not the AC – other residents up there) that they probably couldn’t do a similar event in their neighborhood…

And, we are! And, it REALLY isn’t about fighting over what is Grandview and not, it is about recognizing all of the Fifth by Northwest neighborhood too (not leaving us out in the credits) – to have fun events, to install sidewalks, to bring development like these pizza places & other spots, and to celebrate together!

LauraO24
    Participant

Is there anywhere I can get more information on the Pizza Crawl? I’ve been searching everywhere online and would love a list of the places involved as well as the times and other details. While I find the neighborhood argument a total bummer, and I could go on and on about that and why it is such a bummer, I really just want to get details on the Pizza Crawl. I’m involved in the Grandview area in a number of capacities (Grandview Area Chamber Secretary, Grandview Craft Beer Alliance Founder, marketing for the City of Grandview Heights, The Ohio Taproom, Four String and a few other businesses in the area) and would like to promote information on this event.

Thank you,

Laura Oldham

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: