Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5XNW Pizza Crawl - 10/02/14 - 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 5XNW Pizza Crawl – 10/02/14 – 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

I vote for renaming 5xNW to Columbus Heights. ;)

That’d make much more sense to me than 5xNW, and would at least make some connection between the perception of it being ‘Grandview Heights’ and the reality of it being Columbus near Grandview Heights.

Regarding the location of the schools, I am aware. I’m one of many who have had a front row seat from which to observe the 5xNW folks being overly pedantic about municipal boundaries, and just wanted to return the favor.

It is interesting to note, though, that the fact that you can see the school from 5th Ave serves to reinforce the impression that everything south of 5th is within Grandview.

rdmeeker
    Participant

You call it pedantry. We call it 5xNW pride.

Go, Pizza Crawlers!

(I’m pretty sure that’s the mascot, right?)

drew
    Participant

Calling this area Grandview would be pretending it’s something it isn’t and why should 5xNW DO that? A lot of the good stuff people love about Grandview is IN 5xNW. Maybe Grandview should change its name to 5xNW South.

Dude, you just don’t get it – calling it 5XNW is calling it something it’s not. You don’t need to use Grandview in the name, but, as I said before, calling it 5XNW is like calling Whitehall Little Italy.

The name doesn’t fit. The fact that it doesn’t fit is why everyone’s still calling it Grandview.

rdmeeker
    Participant

Dude, you just don’t get it – calling it 5XNW is calling it something it’s not. You don’t need to use Grandview in the name, but, as I said before, calling it 5XNW is like calling Whitehall Little Italy.

The name doesn’t fit.

Drew, no. I don’t get it. Your analogy doesn’t make sense to me. Calling Whitehall Little Italy would imply naming it after another place. To me, that’s more in line with calling 5xNW Grandview.

I think Fifth by Northwest is a mouthful (and I probably wouldn’t have chosen 5xNW as the shorter version of that) but it does describes the area fairly well with the intersection of Fifth and Northwest right in the middle of the neighborhood. So, to me it seems like calling the neighborhood EXACTLY what it is.

We can agree on me not getting the Little Italy analogy.

drew
    Participant

Drew, no. I don’t get it. Your analogy doesn’t make sense to me. Calling Whitehall Little Italy would imply naming it after another place. To me, that’s more in line with calling 5xNW Grandview.

I think Fifth by Northwest is a mouthful (and I probably wouldn’t have chosen 5xNW as the shorter version of that) but it does describes the area fairly well with the intersection of Fifth and Northwest right in the middle of the neighborhood. So, to me it seems like calling the neighborhood EXACTLY what it is.

We can agree on me not getting the Little Italy analogy.

There’s no fix for tone deafness, I guess. I can’t understand why you don’t see the cognitive dissonance between the embarrassing ‘hip 10 years ago’ naming convention that underpins ‘5XNW’ and the rather less grandiose reality of the neighborhood.

rdmeeker
    Participant

There’s no fix for tone deafness, I guess. I can’t understand why you don’t see the cognitive dissonance between the embarrassing ‘hip 10 years ago’ naming convention that underpins ’5XNW’ and the rather less grandiose reality of the neighborhood.

Dang, Drew. You’ve cut me deep.

I’m not tone deaf. I just disagree with you – on the name and the idea that there’s some sort of less-good-than-holy-Grandview aura that haunts 5xNW.

drew
    Participant

I’m not tone deaf. I just disagree with you – on the name and the idea that there’s some sort of less-good-than-holy-Grandview aura that haunts 5xNW.

Eyes wide shut. I can’t tell you how many acquaintances and friends who live in 5XNW say they live in Grandview, and how many 5XNW businesses describe themselves as similarly located. And, I don’t think they’re doing so because they feel a particular allegiance to Grandview, but I strongly suspect it’s because they find the 5XNW name embarrassing and the Grandview name to be deeply embedded common usage. They aren’t interested in making neighborhood distinctions, they’re interested in being understood. (see prescriptivism vs descriptivism).

What I’ve seen, for years, is a core of true 5XNW believers who have been working hard to try to carve an identity out for the neighborhood, with little real headway outside of their clique. It’s time for a new name.

Or, to move to Weinland Park and shout from the sidelines.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The same could be said for boundary confusion between Clintonville/Beechwold or OldNorth/UniversityDistrict or many other areas. I’m willing to bet that large groups of the general public don’t know where Ganther’s Place or Hungarian Village or Eastmoor or Dennison Place or RiverSouth are located, but that doesn’t make their names any more/less relevant.

You sound really aggressive about the 5xNW thing, Drew. It’s fine if you don’t like that name, but there’s no need to berate people about it, is there? Especially in a thread that’s about having a good time at a pizza party event.

rdmeeker
    Participant

Eyes wide shut. I can’t tell you how many acquaintances and friends who live in 5XNW say they live in Grandview, and how many 5XNW businesses describe themselves as similarly located. And, I don’t think they’re doing so because they feel a particular allegiance to Grandview, but I strongly suspect it’s because they find the 5XNW name embarrassing and the Grandview name to be deeply embedded common usage. They aren’t interested in making neighborhood distinctions, they’re interested in being understood. (see prescriptivism vs descriptivism).

What I’ve seen, for years, is a core of true 5XNW believers who have been working hard to try to carve an identity out for the neighborhood, with little real headway outside of their clique. It’s time for a new name.

Or, to move to Weinland Park and shout from the sidelines.

Ok, but I’ll go ahead and attend the 5xNW Pizza Crawl on October 2. Yes, I will make the trek from far-distant Weinland Park and suffer the slings and arrows reserved for outsiders and deserters and traitors to the cause.

And I’ll keep calling the neighborhood Fifth by Northwest with the other Heathers.

And I’ll do it whether I am in Weinland Park or the Peach District or Olde North Columbus or SoHud or Merion Village or the Circles or the Bottoms or in any other neighborhood with a name that people don’t like.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Once upon a time, I lived in a small apartment downtown near Grant Hospital and the main library. One day out of the blue, I found myself living in the “Discovery District”.

Later, I lived on King west of the Olentangy. Imagine my surprise when I learned that my home magically transported itself into 5xNW!

I’m like, neighborhoods just happen, you can’t make them happen. Come on Columbus, you’re trying to hard!

drew
    Participant

The same could be said for boundary confusion between Clintonville/Beechwold or OldNorth/UniversityDistrict or many other areas. I’m willing to bet that large groups of the general public don’t know where Ganther’s Place or Hungarian Village or Eastmoor or Dennison Place or RiverSouth are located, but that doesn’t make their names any more/less relevant.

You sound really aggressive about the 5xNW thing, Drew. It’s fine if you don’t like that name, but there’s no need to berate people about it, is there? Especially in a thread that’s about having a good time at a pizza party event.

Allow me to explain. If someone incorrectly calls Beechwold Clintonville, nobody will get too terribly upset. However, if you – even once- publicly mention a 5XNW business as being in Grandview, the powers that be in the petty little 5XNW Commission will rain hellfire down on you and berate you endlessly. I’m not joking.

So, to then see that they’re putting on a “5XNW/Grandview North of 3rd”(!) pizza hop is just too friggin’ rich to allow to pass without comment – especially since all of the businesses are in 5XNW. They defend their territory when it suits them, and then co-opt the popularity of the name ‘Grandview’ whenever its in their best interest.

It’s kinda bullshit.

As is the name 5XNW. I’m all kinds of cool with the desire to make the distinction between Grandview and the neighborhood to the north, but I’m never calling it 5XNW without a smirk on my face. If I was the only one that felt that way, I’d probably keep my mouth shut, but it’s a very common reaction.

rdmeeker
    Participant

So, to then see that they’re putting on a “5XNW/Grandview North of 3rd”(!) pizza hop is just too friggin’ rich to allow to pass without comment – especially since all of the businesses are in 5XNW. They defend their territory when it suits them, and then co-opt the popularity of the name ‘Grandview’ whenever its in their best interest.

It’s kinda bullshit.

We actually agree on this. The Fifth by Northwest Area commission really works against itself when it does stuff like this. If there is no such thing as “Grandview north of 3rd,” then certainly the area commission shouldn’t use the term. Call it the 5xNW Pizza Crawl and be done with it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

5XNW still looks like a bad license plate, although whomever said hashtag wasn’t far off either.

I still call it “The Columbus part of Grandview”.

drew
    Participant

I’m like, neighborhoods just happen, you can’t make them happen. Come on Columbus, you’re trying to hard!

This is very well put. When you try to force it, and hammer people for even casually failing to make the distinction, it just reeks of desperation.

drew
    Participant

I still call it “The Columbus part of Grandview”.

As everyone else does. And, in doing so, nothing of value is lost (and the ability to actually understand where they’re talking about is gained).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE