Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5XNW Pizza Crawl - 10/02/14 - 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 5XNW Pizza Crawl – 10/02/14 – 6pm Starting at the Ohio Tap Room

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

Cityside
    Participant

Hey All:

Looking for a fun way to sample local fare, walk the neighborhood, meet your neighbors (and maybe have a little beer on the side?)… mark your calendars for the upcoming 5XNW/”Grandview North of Third” Pizza Crawl on Thursday Oct. 2nd starting at 6pm and fanning out from there! Try all the new and existing pizza places – vote for your favorite – the winner gets bragging rights for at least a year (maybe two!)…

For more information on the Fifth by Northwest Area Commission check us out on Facebook at /wearefifthbynorthwest or our Web site at http://www.fifthbynorthwest.org. And, if you have questions or would like to sign up your shop – please contact Becky Obester, Chairperson of 5XNW at either 614-702-8706 (Cell/Text) or via email at [email protected].

Hope to see you there! This is a bi-annual event and this makes the 3rd time we’ve held it – building a bigger following every time! Last time’s winner Halwani near the old Giant Eagle site is still advertising “Voted Best Pizza…”

Thanks!
    Becky Obester, Chair 5XNW

Cityside
    Participant

Who is planning to attend this time? This will make the 3rd time we’ve hosted this event & are adding beer to the mix (on your own) as a part of the event – and as a great way to promote the Ohio Taproom as a local resource! Hope to see you there! :)… Look for more information at the Grandview Art Hop and around town at various restaurants & pubs!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

Is there a map or list of pizza places in the area participating?

FunkBrothers
    Participant

I should try and come to this since I live in the neighborhood.

drew
    Participant

Holy crap… “5XNW/Grandview North of Third”?! Really?

I still don’t get the 5xNW thing… it’s like this 5xNW group is determined to own for themselves what everyone thinks of as the cheesy chain store part of Grandview, and paper over the banal reality of it all with a hopelessly 90’s era faux-authentic wannabe hip name.

Just to be clear, nobody is saying ‘hey, lets go to Fifth by Northwest’. I doubt they ever will.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Thank you! I love the area, and used to live there, but I’ve always found “5XNW” grating. It just seems like something dreamed up by some marketer or consultant that works great as a hashtag but will never be uttered by a human-being in real life conversation.

derm
    derm
    Participant

I sometimes utter it to people. I find it a helpful phrase to describe a place that otherwise would be difficult to do. It is easier to say than “not quite Grandview, not campus, this side of Olentangy part of City of Columbus that is safe and a decent place to rent a house at.” Before they made that name they called it “Grandview.”

derm
    derm
    Participant

And I would totally go for some tastes at the Taproom then walk for some pizza but I have to work, just to direct this topic back in a straight line.

drew
    Participant

Before they made that name they called it “Grandview.”

And everyone understood what was meant.

I get that Grandview has distinct municipal boundaries, and that much of what lies outside of its borders is incorrectly referred to as Grandview. However, the name, 5xNW, is bizarrely ill-conceived, and the organization seems to have a real chip on its shoulder about being lumped in with Grandview, all the while realizing they can’t do any kind of neighborhood event (that people will actually attend) without including Grandview businesses.

Anyhow, pizza is good and so is (Grandview’s actually south of third) beer.

Cityside
    Participant

Grandview only starts at 3rd – 75% or 80% of the businesses that people say are in Grandview are really in 5XNW. We were told by the City that our name couldn’t reference “Grandview” it is a separate municipality and we have a different Mayor, recycling effort, Zoning Board, Police force, taxes, bike lanes…

We had over 200 people two years ago attend the event – it was very popular, and maybe 75 the first time 4 years ago – it IS well attended. And, this isn’t the only event we’ve done successfully – we probably had 1,000 people and the Mayor of Columbus and his whole cabinet – last fall… and a community night last spring with maybe 75 people again! :)

We do a lot of good for the hood – and the City of Columbus in general – we started (successfully) the whole free curbside recycling program – we’ve oversee zoning for the whole area (Third to Olentangy River Road, Kinnear to Northstar/Wyandotte)… and soon will be bringing a “greenspace” (somewhat thru Recs & Parks) but not officially so it isn’t a “park” on King and Olentangy adjacent to the river.

We are public officials that oversee as volunteers the whole area of Columbus that is in-between UA, Grandview Heights proper, Marble Cliff and the University Area Commission – and have worked with the developers of all of most of the new businesses and restaurants that exist between these boundaries – as well as Car2Go, etc. We recently put in new sidewalks on Grandview Avenue, King Avenue, and are applying for new sidewalks on Northwest Blvd. and Northstar… as well as other improvements to the neighborhood. We petitioned the City to repave 5th Avenue and part of King – as well fixing many of the alleys that were in bad repair… and may do decorative street lights throughout the area if there is enough money in the grant.

We worked to develop Loops, Mazza, part of Grandview Yard (although we lost on them following the urban development plan :), Woodlands Patio, and the new hotel on Olentangy River Rd. (and we may get more redevelopment along that corridor), we helped Wendy’s to rebrand their stores on 5th and Olentangy to bring those up-to-date… and oversaw the Mews development as well as “Granvdview Village” behind the Kroger’s… AND, the Kroger’s expansion (with accompanying signage updates & sidewalks – and the gas station… and landscaping and we are working on more on this property).

We fixed hundreds of potholes, burnt out street lights, and we were instrumental in starting the Farmer’s Market on Grandview Avenue, the bike lanes on King, the soon to be bike path on Third, the widening of the underpass on Third… which is coming soon, and the Community Garden that feeds the homeless at Blvd. Presbyterian Church (through the 43212 Civic that we started).

And, we will oversee the Rife’s redevelopment and the Giant Eagle… :) We have worked hard on the Suboxome Clinic remediation (better planning to accommodate this in need population), and have done studies on traffic flow and are currently working with the City to improve that – we installed the turn lanes on King Avenue (and planted trees through the Civic on 5th). We just don’t get a lot of credit for everything… everyone calls it “Grandview” and gives them the credit. We can’t change our name without reforming the Area Commission… it had to be a unique name… so, we like to think of it like North by Northwest (the movie) or South by Southwest the music festival.

We put into place Urban Commercial Overlays working with City Planners and architectural standards that make it very attractive to developers – and bring all about many of these new fun places to go… such as Miller’s Ale House, Matt the Millers, Jimmy V’s (back in the day), Bibop, Loops, the Rude Dog redevelop, the Ohio Taproom, Dewey’s Pizza…

Just give us a little credit – we do a lot of good… :) We may just have a “funny” name! And, this event is meant to celebrate the walkability, the variety of pizza places – due to neighborhood’s Italian heritage, be fun (a little pizza and maybe some beer…), get people out exploring new places, give our locally owned pizza shops (and maybe a few corporate shops – as we don’t want to leave them out). :).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! Thanks for the recap and details. ;)

drew
    Participant

Grandview only starts at 3rd – 75% or 80% of the businesses that people say are in Grandview are really in 5XNW.

So Grandview’s schools aren’t in Grandview? Interesting.

The funny things about neighborhood names is that people vote with their usage. This seems like one of those situations in which the more you try to dictate usage, the more the people you’re trying to reach will defy you.

We just don’t get a lot of credit for everything… everyone calls it “Grandview” and gives them the credit. We can’t change our name without reforming the Area Commission… it had to be a unique name… so, we like to think of it like North by Northwest (the movie) or South by Southwest the music festival.

Because everyone can see the obvious connection between the neighborhood and Hitchcock’s work? Or the neighborhood and a Texas festival?

Perhaps you’re not getting credit for your work because nobody can reconcile the realities of the neighborhood with the pretentiousness of the name? Hell, let’s just call Brice Rd. Park Ave. It’ll be great! And Whitehall can become Little Italy!

Maybe you should be working with or building on the commonly used name rather than fighting it – Greater Grandview or some such. Elsewhere on this forum, there was a talk by Aaron Renn about how cities should become more honest in promoting their true virtues. All of that would apply to neighborhoods as well, I’d think, and I’d suggest you check it out.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s two little spots the boundary runs north of Third. I believe all of their schools are within the boundary, no?

MAP: http://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-boundary-map/city/Grandview%20Heights/state/OH/cityid/3931304

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I vote for renaming 5xNW to Columbus Heights. ;)

rdmeeker
    Participant

Holy crap… “5XNW/Grandview North of Third”?! Really?
    Just to be clear, nobody is saying ‘hey, lets go to Fifth by Northwest’. I doubt they ever will.

I do.

I used to live in 5xNW and I believe in it as a neighborhood and as a name. I don’t think it’s unimportant to to clear on boundaries and borders. It’s not a small area that lies within the city of Columbus rather than Grandview Heights, Marble Cliff or Upper Arlington; all of which are decidedly NOT in the City of Columbus.

My wife and I were responsible for the original 5xNW Pizza crawl. At that time there were exactly zero pizza places actually in the city of Grandview. That’s still the case – unless that new place on first serves pizza. Does it matter? Not really, I guess, but it’s interesting.

If you’re referring to the High School, of course it’s in Grandview Heights – as is the football field. Search Grandview Heights on Google Maps for the boundaries of Grandview.

What you’ll see is that almost everything on 3rd (both sides) is not in Grandview Heights. So, if you were referring to the Ohio Tap room when you mentioned Grandview’s beer in an earlier comment, it’s actually in 5xNW. Along with Zauber, and Four String. Oh, and Gentile’s, the Boulevard Carryout and Grandview Beer and Wine!

Calling this area Grandview would be pretending it’s something it isn’t and why should 5xNW DO that? A lot of the good stuff people love about Grandview is IN 5xNW. Maybe Grandview should change its name to 5xNW South.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE