Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5xNW needs to celebrate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 5xNW needs to celebrate

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)
  • Author

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Grandview wise, none of that is accurate. It simply does not exist as you have described. Grandview has always thrived, due to the schools, not the restaurants or the signage. There is no confusion. None. We had a rough patch when the Big Bear left, but we have always voted levies in so that was not problematic. We actually do have combined services with Marble Cliff and now Chamber-wise with UA. Not one single person in Grandview wants to combine services with any other community further than we have it.

Is there confusion about City of Columbus services? Maybe, I would not know in the slightest. That is a City of Columbus problem.

There is nothing to resolve. 99% of Grandview residents could care less if places two miles away call themselves Grandview area. I have been here 20 years. Not a single person in this town has mentioned this in any conversation I have had locally. The only places that have discussions like yours are on CU, period. 100% guarantee Marble Cliff feels the same, probably Arlington too.

Our city services are elite, our city Government officials are easily reached and talked to, City staffers are the same. I know most of them by first name and have their cell numbers. Our cops and firefighters are awesome and will help with anything. One of the cops pulled his cruiser into Pierce field so he could stand on it to get a ball off the roof for my kid a couple weeks ago. They had three cruisers out looking for my in-laws dog a few years back when it got off its leash.

Honestly, Grandview would evaporate if incorporated into Columbus.

Look, I totally get people wanting to have good schools, personalized police service for rooftop golf ball removal, etc. But let’s not act as if the mere suggestion that there might actually be a better and more logical way of structuring local government is like some kind of affront to basic human rights and dignity here. The reality is we are operating local goverments under laws written 200+ years ago, well before we had paved roads, trains or cars. There probably are ways of doing things now with regards to governing and managing the scale of our metropolitan area, communities, and supporting infrastructure that are much better suited for the times in which we live, and that may very well benefit everyone for the better, no matter where they live.

As I said, the city of Grandview Heights probably isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future. That doesn’t mean that something else couldn’t be better suited to supporting the people who live within the greater Grandview/5xNW community.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

As I said, the city of Grandview Heights probably isn’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future. That doesn’t mean that something else couldn’t be better suited to supporting the people who live within the greater Grandview/5xNW community.

What I’m hearing you say is it would be better for people who live outside Grandview if Grandview joined Columbus.

As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us? I get the economies of scale argument, but that aside, you can’t argue with results. We have great schools, great services (curb-side recycling years before Columbus, by the way), strong property values, a walkable neighborhood, great parks, even one of the best libraries in the country for a community our size. How does any of that improve for Grandview residents if we join Columbus?

ricospaz
    Participant

Oh and by the way, the reason Grandview has a somewhat oddball boundary shape is because they were avoiding The Italians that lived near 5th along Glenn, Westwood, Elmwood, etc. Look it up. All cities are guilty of some form of exclusion.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NEOBuckeye wrote:</div>

What I’m hearing you say is it would be better for people who live outside Grandview if Grandview joined Columbus.

As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us? I get the economies of scale argument, but that aside, you can’t argue with results. We have great schools, great services (curb-side recycling years before Columbus, by the way), strong property values, a walkable neighborhood, great parks, even one of the best libraries in the country for a community our size. How does any of that improve for Grandview residents if we join Columbus?

I’ll be direct in saying that many of these things probably don’t improve much. Some might, but others may even decline. Some economic development policies likely become easier and less cumbersome to facilitate and maintain, such as infrastructure improvements, maintenance, and investment along the Grandview Ave corridor which is currently split up between Columbus and Grandview Heights. On the other hand, maybe you don’t have policemen who respond to 911 calls to retrieve your golf balls or housecat from your roof. Poor you. On the flip side again, your property taxes very likely go down considerably since you aren’t paying to maintain a separate city council, mayor, and other municipal elected and appointed positions and separate services like police and fire. There is also no reason to necessarily believe that the quality of education would decline. In some ways, it might even improve.

The more proper framing question is, how much has Grandview Heights benefited from its proximity to Columbus? Pick up the city and place it 30 miles in any direction beyond the Columbus city limits. Would it still be enjoying all of the spillover benefits of Downtown Columbus’ recent growth, including a massive, major new project in Grandview Yard that includes thousands of jobs relocating in from Nationwide? Almost certainly not.

Municipal consolidation would be a formal acknowledgement that the benefits enjoyed by separately incorporated suburbs are only made possible by their proximity to and dependency on the central city, are derived at its expense, and are therefore unjust.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Municipal consolidation would be a formal acknowledgement that the benefits enjoyed by separately incorporated suburbs are only made possible by their proximity to and dependency on the central city, are derived at its expense, and are therefore unjust.

That’s one hell of a hot take.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Cities typically annex unincorporated areas, not municipal cities. It’s a bit of a mystery why Columbus (or GH) hasn’t annexed the remains on Clinton Township in that area.

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>spfld_expat wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>NEOBuckeye wrote:</div><br>

I’ll be direct in saying that many of these things probably don’t improve much. Some might, but others may even decline. Some economic development policies likely become easier and less cumbersome to facilitate and maintain, such as infrastructure improvements, maintenance, and investment along the Grandview Ave corridor which is currently split up between Columbus and Grandview Heights. On the other hand, maybe you don’t have policemen who respond to 911 calls to retrieve your golf balls or housecat from your roof. Poor you. On the flip side again, your property taxes very likely go down considerably since you aren’t paying to maintain a separate city council, mayor, and other municipal elected and appointed positions and separate services like police and fire. There is also no reason to necessarily believe that the quality of education would decline. In some ways, it might even improve.

The more proper framing question is, how much has Grandview Heights benefited from its proximity to Columbus? Pick up the city and place it 30 miles in any direction beyond the Columbus city limits. Would it still be enjoying all of the spillover benefits of Downtown Columbus’ recent growth, including a massive, major new project in Grandview Yard that includes thousands of jobs relocating in from Nationwide? Almost certainly not.

Keep in mind that is how Grandview was first formed. People travelled outside the city to form a seperate location that took them the same amount of time to get to in the 30 mile radius timeframe you describe. So to answer your hypothetical question about what would happen. It already happened. Grandview is the result of the experiment you described. It just happened 100 years ago.

You are also assuming that the area would be like it is now if Grandview were annexed many years ago. It would look nothing like it does now. Franklinton was annexed, it is similar distance, it had similar base housing stock. How does it look now? Clintonville and Westgate are similar neighborhoods to Grandview in radius location and housing stock. Shave between 20-50% of property values. Purely because of the schools. Clintonville gets the OSU bump that Westgate does not. What would Clintonville look now if it was a seperate entity school wise? Everyone my age that I know who lived in Clintonville when they were 20 are now gone to a better school district.

There is also no possible way the schools improve if Grandview is annexed to City of Columbus. That has been proven, look at the City Schools. Grandview is already an A+ school, one of, if not the highest rated for its size. You cannot improve on being an A+ school, that is the highest rating already.

I will further say I think that 5 X NW has improved way more by being in proximity to Grandview that the other way around. The crime rate is the best in all the C of C areas, the property valuations are inflated by proximity, probably as a grouping of that size square mile wise into the millions. Grandview provides help with fire and police to that area already and was primary when 3rd ave was closed the last couple years. I lived in 5th by NW before Grandview so I have experience with the differences here. I have lived in and watched the growth closely and been involved with both locations since 1993.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Oh, and on taxes. I pay more by choice. Everyone in Grandview does. If I wanted the tiny drop in property taxes I would honestly move back over by Byrne’s. I dont. By choice.

The Grandview Yard bump is a fallacy. Grandview has been white hot for 20 years since that was a Big Bear warehouse and was white hot even when it was an abandoned wasteland. It was white hot when the Arena district was an abandoned pentitentiary and was white hot when all of Downtown closed at 5pm.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

There is also no reason to necessarily believe that the quality of education would decline. In some ways, it might even improve.

Haha really? You must have gone to Columbus Public to believe that.

Eugene_C
    Participant

As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us?

Obviously it’s not economically advantageous for you, however, there are a moral and ethical arguments about how we want to take care of our neighbors grow our society that you, personally, may or may not care about, but others may and may express that at the ballot box. That’s all I’m saying.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Obviously it’s not economically advantageous for you, however, there are a moral and ethical arguments about how we want to take care of our neighbors grow our society that you, personally, may or may not care about, but others may and may express that at the ballot box. That’s all I’m saying.

I get that its CU-gospel that suburbs suck, and sure, fine, in a lot of ways they do, but when it becomes a moral argument that suburbs’ very existence is somehow wrong or unjust, you’ve lost me. That’s just absurd. Give me a break.

Friendoffacts
    Friendoffacts
    Participant

Is this where I sign up for freshman introductory Sociology?

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>spfld_expat wrote:</div>
    As a Grandview resident, sell me on why we should join Columbus. What’s in it for us?

Question, this is important.

I am walking up Grandview avenue heading north. I am currently in front of the new Cameron Mitchell steak joint. I am immoral and unethical at that time and I get that.

It is around Z Cucina that I am heading back towards the light or do I need to get all the way up by Sweet Carrot?

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Can someone explain this last page to me?

GCrites80s
    Participant

Switching to county school systems like other states have from the local school systems that we have in Ohio would drive the real estate people insane. They’d make money but would also have plenty of work to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: