Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5xNW needs to celebrate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 5xNW needs to celebrate

This topic contains 108 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Ned23 Ned23 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

It’s definitely not Grandview if you look at the streets/housing/(lack of) parks and businesses. It’s a more Columbus side of Grandview but to me when explaining it to someone, it’s still Grandview-ish area.

To be honest, 5xNW is a huge reason why I’m still in Columbus. I wish the city had more places like this. Fairly inexpensive rent and abundant rental properties in decent buildings, very walkable (except the lack of sidewalks) and is in proximity to a nicer neighborhood. To me 5xNW needs Grandview and Grandview needs 5xNW. Two great communities cohabitation.

As far as the thread starters point of it needing more praise? I don’t think so. I don’t have anything really bad to say about the area. I’d praise the area by simply attracting great people to the area, not the parks and side walks ;)

derm
    derm
    Participant

It’s definitely not Grandview if you look at the streets/housing/(lack of) parks and businesses. It’s a more Columbus side of Grandview but to me when explaining it to someone, it’s still Grandview-ish area.

To be honest, 5xNW is a huge reason why I’m still in Columbus. I wish the city had more places like this. Fairly inexpensive rent and abundant rental properties in decent buildings, very walkable (except the lack of sidewalks) and is in proximity to a nicer neighborhood. To me 5xNW needs Grandview and Grandview needs 5xNW. Two great communities cohabitation.

As far as the thread starters point of it needing more praise? I don’t think so. I don’t have anything really bad to say about the area. I’d praise the area by simply attracting great people to the area, not the parks and side walks ;)

I lived there before I moved to Grandview and it was and still is as you describe. Safe, fun, good to walk around. The Columbus PD told me that it is the lowest crime rate spot in the CofC and that they patrol it the least of all in the City due to being sandwiched between Grandview and U/A. It is getting better by the day. Wish I had stock in the 5 Guys spot across from the View on 5th when it opens.

thomaspickles
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>OneBagTravel wrote:</div>

The Columbus PD told me that it is the lowest crime rate spot in the CofC and that they patrol it the least of all in the City due to being sandwiched between Grandview and U/A.

That’s terrible haha…but pretty obvious. Notice the string of robberies lately, Chipotle, Speedway, Anthony Thomas, and the Bank…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Anthony Thomas has had the worst luck the last few years. It seems like once a year that place gets hit. Is there a drug den behind that place?

GCrites80s
    Participant

5xNW has a low crime rate against individuals but still sees lots of crime against businesses.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Anthony Thomas has had the worst luck the last few years. It seems like once a year that place gets hit. Is there a drug den behind that place?

God, who robs a candy store? Crooks know that the police station is way down there on 3rd by Olentangy. I’ll tell you what’s not going to get hit is the GetGo. There’s always cops there.

AMEEKER
    Participant

@gcrites80s “God, who robs a candy store?” made me laugh out loud. F’real, though. Jerks.

I, too, think the start of this thread was a bit ridiculous. Whoever’s behind the posting needs to just let it go. Just keep doing good work. You don’t have to get all the praise for it.

Having said that, the thing I ALWAYS remind people of when they say, “But 5xNW is basically Grandview” is that it’s not. It’s literally not Grandview. Remember that Grandview is its own city. Businesses and homes there don’t go through the same channels for anything, and if you want something like a sidewalk in 5xNW or more parking at your fav. biz, you’re barking up the wrong tree if you show up at a Grandview city meeting. The conversation of 5xNW vs. Grandview is so muddy because it mixes the marketing of the area, with the city administration of the area. People NEED to know that 5xNW is Columbus for that reason. I’ve seen houses for sale or rent on Craigslist that advertise themselves as Grandview, or Grandview area… when we know that really they’re 5xNW. That’s good marketing, but when it comes to the school, the “admin” matters.

As for Steve’s point @thecandlelab – he’s right. Businesses there don’t want to be called Fifth by Northwest, and no amount of branding is really going to change that. The force is strong with Grandview, even if the actual Grandview strip that people know and love is half 5xNW. It’s Grandview.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Let’s be honest. There’s way too much duplication of local government in the US, and in the Midwest in particular. The City of Grandview Heights really should have been annexed into Columbus decades ago, as well as Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington, and all of the random bits of Clinton Township that still exist, including where the Lennox is. That alone would have easily resolved all of the current confusion over where people in the general Grandview area turn to for municipal services, schools, etc., and then this whole debate over “5xNW or Grandview” would have been negated because the whole area would be unified under Columbus municipal govt. and a common “Grandview” community identity, much like that of Clintonville, German Village, etc.

Unlikely that this gets resolved in the near future because now thanks to Grandview Yard and a slew of general investment in the area, the municipal entity of Grandview Heights itself is thriving, and also since Ohio state law has been set up in such a way to limit and discourage mergers between existing municipalities and even townships. As Grandview Avenue itself illustrates, however, local municipal divisions remain just as messy, confusing and cumbersome as ever.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Let’s be honest. There’s way too much duplication of local government in the US, and in the Midwest in particular. The City of Grandview Heights really should have been annexed into Columbus decades ago, as well as Marble Cliff, Upper Arlington, and all of the random bits of Clinton Township that still exist, including where the Lennox is. That alone would have easily resolved all of the current confusion over where people in the general Grandview area turn to for municipal services, schools, etc., and then this whole debate over “5xNW or Grandview” would have been negated because the whole area would be unified under Columbus municipal govt. and a common “Grandview” community identity, much like that of Clintonville, German Village, etc.

Unlikely that this gets resolved in the near future because now thanks to Grandview Yard and a slew of general investment in the area, the municipal entity of Grandview Heights itself is thriving, and also since Ohio state law has been set up in such a way to limit and discourage mergers between existing municipalities and even townships. As Grandview Avenue itself illustrates, however, local municipal divisions remain just as messy, confusing and cumbersome as ever.

Grandview wise, none of that is accurate. It simply does not exist as you have described. Grandview has always thrived, due to the schools, not the restaurants or the signage. There is no confusion. None. We had a rough patch when the Big Bear left, but we have always voted levies in so that was not problematic. We actually do have combined services with Marble Cliff and now Chamber-wise with UA. Not one single person in Grandview wants to combine services with any other community further than we have it.

Is there confusion about City of Columbus services? Maybe, I would not know in the slightest. That is a City of Columbus problem.

There is nothing to resolve. 99% of Grandview residents could care less if places two miles away call themselves Grandview area. I have been here 20 years. Not a single person in this town has mentioned this in any conversation I have had locally. The only places that have discussions like yours are on CU, period. 100% guarantee Marble Cliff feels the same, probably Arlington too.

Our city services are elite, our city Government officials are easily reached and talked to, City staffers are the same. I know most of them by first name and have their cell numbers. Our cops and firefighters are awesome and will help with anything. One of the cops pulled his cruiser into Pierce field so he could stand on it to get a ball off the roof for my kid a couple weeks ago. They had three cruisers out looking for my in-laws dog a few years back when it got off its leash.

Honestly, Grandview would evaporate if incorporated into Columbus.

ricospaz
    Participant

True, those that live in Grandview know who to call and where the free parking ends, so to speak. and 5XNW is just Columbus to us. I moved here for the walkability, schools (before we had kids), and the proximity to work. Best decision I’ve ever made financially too.

bayrea
    Participant

As long as Grandview has minions of garbage men buzzing in and out of the driveways in their cool little golf carts it will always be greater than 5XNW or Columbus….

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I celebrate every day when I come home and my place isn’t robbed and I can walk to the pub. ^_^

Eugene_C
    Participant

I can see Neo-Buckeye’s point. Little hold-out cities like Grandview are an homage to “white-flight.” Rich people taking their taxes to lavish on their own personal services, like cops who have time to get balls off of roofs while people are getting robbed and shot a few miles away. Still, Grandview is more than adequately sized to be an incorporated city. They can thank Columbus water and Sewer for greatly reducing their operating costs, as well.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Grandview Heights was founded in 1906. It pre-dates the “white flight” phenomenon by at least half a century. And, to my knowledge, homes in Grandview were never subject to racially restrictive covenants like those in UA, for example.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I can see Neo-Buckeye’s point. Little hold-out cities like Grandview are an homage to “white-flight.” Rich people taking their taxes to lavish on their own personal services, like cops who have time to get balls off of roofs while people are getting robbed and shot a few miles away.

Exactly. On all points. The city of Grandview Heights managed to escape the aggressive annexation policies of Columbus, but it still would not exist today as a seperate municipal entity if not for having access to Columbus’ water supply and sewer services. It is wealthy enough to be able to afford them, yes, but all of the other services they have–Grandview Heights Police, Fire, Schools, etc–come at a premium compared to what they would be if the costs were spread out over a much larger area served by a single municipal entity (e.g. Columbus).

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO