Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5xNW needs to celebrate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 5xNW needs to celebrate

This topic contains 108 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Ned23 Ned23 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    Very few people I talk to know where Harrison West is when I tell them what area we live in. So I just say Victorian Village. Plus it sounds fancy.

Same here. No one knows where the King-Lincoln District is, but when I say Near East Side, they know where I’m talking about.

Yes, the NES has always had a strong brand identity.

;)

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

The 5xNW intersection contains a quicky mart, mark pi’s, verizon and a chipotle. .

melikecheese
    Participant

I thought everything inside 270 was “Columbus” Shows what I know! :)

AMEEKER
    Participant

Hehe… this thread.

ricospaz
    Participant

Not sure why there should be a celebration, but hey, I like to party! get yourself a permit to ‘drink and walk’!

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Whatever happened to those ‘entertainment districts’ anyway?

thomaspickles
    Participant

What parks, sidewalks are you talking about? I notice most of 5xNW has no sidewalks, aside from the apartment complexes. Even residential streets contain little actual sidewalks.

thecandlelab
    Participant

I’ve weighed in on this so many times that I should probably just link to the other threads, but here goes one more time for the record.

There is not a single merchant on Grandview Avenue that wants to be identified as being in 5xNW. They want to be on Grandview Avenue, one of the best shopping/dining stretches in central Ohio. Putting the 5xNW ridiculous signs in the middle of sidewalks to piss on your territory and try to carve out relevance is petty and strange and silly.

ohbr
    Participant

Yeah… I’m less than whelmed by “5xNW”… It has no ring to it. No alliteration, no rhyme, no rhythm, it’s not short and sweet. I’ve always felt it to be a poor knock off of SXSW.

ricospaz
    Participant

Sounds good. Let’s rope off Apartment yards and turn it into an entertainment district. Then we can all go to Sax and wash our cars and then Taco Bell for a 4th meal!

heresthecasey
    Participant

I’ve always felt it to be a poor knock off of SXSW.

You do know that SxSW is itself a knock-off of this, right?

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    I’ve always felt it to be a poor knock off of SXSW.

You do know that SxSW is itself a knock-off of this, right?

No I didn’t, but perhaps the creator of 5xNW didn’t either. Even so, SxSW was done properly keeping alliteration and using a movie from one of the greatest directors of all time as a source for a film festival’s name. Makes complete sense. Again, 5xNW may look good typographically but say “Fifth by Northwest” has a lack of appeal to go with it’s lack of identity.

ohbr
    Participant

I think a better name would be “UGH” Upper Grandview Heights. Bringing in the names from the surrounding towns and the general expression some have when they hear about how awesome it is.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

I always liked Greater Grandview or Lower Arlington.

thomaspickles
    Participant

I’m genuinely curious about the parks. What parks?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO