Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5xNW needs to celebrate

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 5xNW needs to celebrate

This topic contains 108 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Ned23 Ned23 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)
  • Author

delion
    Participant

Don’t you think that 5xNW needs banners and signage to distinguish itself from Grandview? They do all of this work creating sidewalks, parks, incorporating bike racks into development and get none of the credit? It is a Columbus Mayor, Columbus Dept of development and Columbus City council , Bza and the Area commission that are behind all of the great restaurants, integrated housing developments, Landscaping, community gardens and sidewalks, parks in development, architectural details that we have come to expect and love! It is time to celebrate Columbus between Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

OneBagTravel
    Participant

ohbr
    Participant

^ Fantastic

But seriously, I thought the city already had 5xNW signs?

drew
    Participant

Don’t you think that 5xNW needs banners and signage to distinguish itself from Grandview?

No. It needs to actually distinguish itself from Grandview, and really just distinguish itself period.

Begging for credit on an online forum for doing an average job at all of the same things that every other neighborhood does probably won’t go very far in that regard.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Grandview is regarded as a pretty nice place… If people confuse it with your section of the city take it as a compliment.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Grandview is regarded as a pretty nice place… If people confuse it with your section of the city take it as a compliment.

Confusion over boundaries runs rampant in a lot of places. I have to imagine it’s not just a Columbus issue either. Lots of people argue about boundaries and definitions all over the place…

Old North / Clintonville boundary.
    Clintonville / Beechwold boundary.
    German Village / Everything Near German Village.
    Short North / University District.
    Bexley / Eastmoor.
    Olde Towne East / Franklin Park.

The list goes on…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No. It needs to actually distinguish itself from Grandview, and really just distinguish itself period.

This.

Fifth Avenue has always been a fairly solid commercial strip, although a bit too suburban by design for my tastes (too many strip centers with parking lots up front and way too many curb cuts to make for a nice pedestrian experience).

If the whole area could be redeveloped to be more urban (like The View on Fifth) then 5xNW could hang its hat on Fifth Avenue being something a bit more unique than it currently is.

hometown
    Participant

I think the boundaries are already marked by the “Where’s Our Sidewalk?” signs.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Confusion over boundaries runs rampant in a lot of places. I have to imagine it’s not just a Columbus issue either. Lots of people argue about boundaries and definitions all over the place…

Over the Rhine/Pendleton and calling all of Clifton Heights/Corryville/University Heights/Fairview “Clifton” in Cincinnati are big ones.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

5xNW will always be “Grandview” to me. When I occasionally refer to the area as “5xNW” to people, they always wonder what the hell I am talking about. But when I refer to the general area as Grandview, they always know exactly where I am talking about. Why bother with something that will only confuse people? Area names always seem to take on a life of their own, much like local culture and language dialects.

The distinction between the two community/municipal designations exists, yes, but is it really that big of a deal? No. Hell, what constitutes “Downtown Grandview” along Grandview Ave is technically split between Columbus and Grandview Heights, the difference easily discerned by noting where the meters are vs. where you can park for free for up to 2 hours. Also, the seasonal Grandview Hop market/art walk doesn’t pay any heed to the city dividing line apparently just south of Third.

I honestly think Columbus would be better off just designating the 5xNW area as something like “Grandview Village” and then we could just designate the whole area as “Greater Grandview” though many people look at it as being such already.

stein
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

Over the Rhine/Pendleton and calling all of Clifton Heights/Corryville/University Heights/Fairview “Clifton” in Cincinnati are big ones.

I think realtors and landlords are mainly to blame for this, and its definitely everywhere. My previous experience was philadelphia and if you looked at apartments for rent (or homes for sale) there would be places that were 6-7 blocks outside of a neighborhood claiming they were inside the boundaries, when in reality they weren’t just the next neighborhood over (by historical standards) but two neighborhoods over. But on the plus side, it provides residents in the neighborhood something to be ‘in the know’ about.

Back on the main subject, I’m still new to the columbus area but I spent my first 5mo at the Meridian in 5xNW. It wasn’t bad (and many days during last year’s cold winter it was very convenient having Zaubers and the market district so close), but its way too suburban/commercial to be celebrated if you ask me.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Very few people I talk to know where Harrison West is when I tell them what area we live in. So I just say Victorian Village. Plus it sounds fancy.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very few people I talk to know where Harrison West is when I tell them what area we live in. So I just say Victorian Village. Plus it sounds fancy.

Same here. No one knows where the King-Lincoln District is, but when I say Near East Side, they know where I’m talking about.

RedStorm
    Participant

I live in 5xNW but have to vote at the Grandview Heights Senior Retirement Center.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Join us for the Beer & Pretzel Pairing Party on November 3rd featuring Combustion Brewing & Happy Little Treats!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO