Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 329 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

goldenidea said:

It’s actually a multi-use walking/biking trail. Pedestrians have as much right to use it as bikers do.

Yes, I’m well aware of this. Perhaps others with some long term memory can chime in, but if I’m not mistaken, when the Olentangy Trail was first built (this probably happened gradually, in segments, starting back in the ’80’s) it was called the Olentangy Bike Trail. I know there are still a few old signs stating that along the trail in some places. As the trail’s popularity grew for other uses, and perhaps for political reasons, it was renamed to reflect its wider use. Of course it should be shared this way.

JMHO… and I know this is controversial, though I’m well aware of the rules of use by bicyclists: 15 MPH speed limit, signal when passing, etc. I still think its primary use should be for bicyclists. Bicyclists should get the right-of-way. Mixing bicyclists with walkers, runners, rollerbladers, dog walkers, kids on training wheels, even if cyclists abide by the posted rules, is dangerous. And the more congestion, the greater the danger. All other users should be made aware that cyclists have the right of way and that they should yield to cyclists.

If the OSU segement becomes like the Atrium Lake segment, the trail will become more dangerous. I say that because often times when I cycle through the Antrim area, especially by that deck and water fountain area near the 315 underpass/parking area, I come upon walkers and others who seem clueless that they are stepping onto on a trail with cyclists. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter how slow I’m riding, I feel a dog, a kid or even an adult walker could easly step in front of me and cause a collision.

I adovacate giving cyclists the right of way because there should be trails where cycling should have that priority and be able to exercise “all out”. There are plenty of non-trail parks and park areas and city streets where people can run, walk, and frolick with their dogs and kids safely. Also, most of these other users don’t need a paved surface. But cycling on many city streets, especially long distances in the city, is a lot more dangerous. I suspect that statistically, “per capita” a lot more cyclists get injured or killed on streets and in traffic than runners and walkers.

Ideally, there should be segements of the OT where there are two pathways constructed: one for cyclists and the other for the rest of the users. There are already a few segements that have dual trails. Perhaps the OSU project will be built that way. Except on OSU football Saturdays, the segement of the OT south of the OSU Union down to 5th Ave (and beyond) is presently one of the least congested areas. When this project is completed it will likely become one of the most congested, taking away one more segement where cyclists can do what is ideal: get some good exercise on a safe paved trail. (sorry for the rant)

Great rant! As an avid hiker who has walked the length of that trail, I suggest substituting roads for trail, cars for bikes and bikes for walkers. Still sound reasonable?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Short answer: Go swim with the big fish.

Long answer: You might as well tell pedestrians that they can hop fences to get somewhere, and they don’t need a path to get from A to B. If you’re the fastest thing on the path, then it’s upon you to watch out for the mistakes of others. I say this having had a soccer ball kicked under my front wheel.

RoJoNo
    Participant

Here are a couple of suggestions where to ride “all out”, if you were not aware of them:

[u]Wednesday Night Worlds[/u]:
    This is the fastest road ride in Columbus. It goes through beautiful rolling hills in the countryside NW of Columbus. Leaves From Avery park in Dublin at 6 pm sharp. Average speed 25+, If you’re not fast enough, you WILL get dropped.
    [u]Bike Source CAT 6 road rides[/u]:
    Ride fast, and stay out of that nasty sun. Meets behind the Clintonville Bike Source 8:45. Moderately fast road rides through varying routes around Columbus. Bring lights!

Also, the A riders at the COP weeknight rides around town keep a very high pace: COP Cycling Calendar

columbusmike
    Participant

I bike to work every day and ill say there are some cyclist who think they own the trail. I am always curteous, cautious, and when the trail opens up, I ride faster. The idea that cyclist should have the right-of-way is ridiculous. The trail is a public amenity for all of us, so just practice a little curteousy and share the trail responsibly, please.

goldenidea
    Participant

The idea that cyclist should have the right-of-way is ridiculous.

Yeah, I do the bike commute everyday too and oftern also ride the OT end-to-end several times a week. I don’ think you understand my point. I’m not proposing ownership. I think when you put a lot individuals on a trail, all moving in different ways, using different means to locomation, at different rates of speed, with the upredictability of kids and dogs adding to the uncertainty, it’s better to make a little order. Giving one mode the right of way give more order and makes it safer.

I’m suggesting that if you’re a walker or another type of non-biker, you yield to bikers, at least when possible. You don’t step out in front of them. If you’re walking two abreast and there’s people coming at you in the other lane and bikers coming up behind you, you at least try to get single file for a minute so bikers can pass more safely. I’m not saying bikers have the right to pass at will but it’s nice to be able to do so under some circumstances.

I’m not suggesting anyone should be discoutious, quite the opposite. I’m suggesting that there should be awareness and that at time when there’s a standoff on who goes first, that bikers should get that opportunity, because it’s a bike trail. Because walkers can much more safely step off the trial if need be.

Thanks for calling my suggestions ridiculous. I found your reply idiotic.

rory
    Participant

I used to ride the bike trail to work everyday and I agree that just a little situational awareness and common sense all around would help out. I’ve seen countless people just wander into the path at Antrim Lake without looking either way. And those curves by Como Park are not a good place to release your kid for the first time without training wheels. On the other hand I also don’t think it’s necessary to go 30 MPH on your bike all the time down the path. After a while you start to figure out what sections you can open it up on and where you can’t. But even giving bikes the right-of-way isn’t going to help smarting up the general public. Even the rule now of an audible signal and passing on the left makes a lot of people step into your path. Fortunately,in the future the urge to go 30 MPH without dodging pedestrians and pets can satisfied in the future on the new bike lanes on Summit and North Fourth when it’s repaved.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The trails are part of the parks and recreation system. If bike riders treat them as places for recreational rides, there should be little problems with danger.

If bikers treat them as speedy bike commute options, then that’s where the danger comes in. Bike commuting should probably be done on streets, not recreational trails.

Just my 2 cents.

Likes Old Houses
    Participant

Being a runner and a biker, I could continue to derail this thread, but I won’t…
    I walked the path from Woddy Hayes to Third yesterday, and I can’t believe how quickly the river has dropped! It looks like about three feet so far. Quite a bit of the shoreline on the westside is now exposed and I only counted one shopping cart. Up around the Lane Ave bridge, there is a lot more “islands” popping up. Very interesting to see how quickly the river has changed, and will change with the work over the next couple weeks.

rory
    Participant

yeah, I just went down it and it’s draining rapidly. And whatever is in that mud is very popular with the Canadian geese.

Can you be slow commuter? Kind of like slow food. ;)

howatzer
    Participant

Looks to be down about 2′ based on the water marks.

Prime birdwatching right now as word has apparently gotten around the avian community about the bug buffet to be had down there.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

There was some talk about how they ought to have some sort of displays up telling people why they were doing this. I noticed they do have a display on the path right by the dam with some papers for people to take that explain things.

jgeorge300
    jgeorge300
    Participant

FLOW was at the overlook by the dam on Friday around 5. They had a table setup with a couple volunteers talking to passer-bys,

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Wow, I found a video of the demolition of the dam.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

In fact I do have video of the beginning of the demolition, I just haven’t uploaded it yet.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Here you go. Maybe not as exciting, but it captures the moment.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 329 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: