Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

Viewing 14 posts - 316 through 329 (of 329 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

News said:
    Construction Crews to Finish Olentangy River Project
    Updated: Wednesday, November 13 2013, 08:02 PM EST

COLUMBUS (Andrew Michael) — The river reconstruction along the Olentangy River is almost complete after the Fifth Avenue dam was removed a year ago. The project aimed to create a more natural flow through the campus area.

READ MORE: http://www.myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_construction-crews-finish-olentangy-river-project-27435.shtml#.UoTwEqU9ndE

first I had heard of this….that would be great news.

The Main Street dam is expected to be demolished in about three weeks, followed by a two-year project to re-create narrower banks through downtown.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Walked the project length the other day, overall it looks pretty good. Trees and shrubs seem to be hanging on, the live stakes, aint live no more. Looks like the perennials are not doing so well, the bee-balm seems to be the only plant that has survived. I wish the contractors would do a better job cleaning up after themselves, it was amazing how many plastic ties are laying around from their stake bundles. My only disappointment is that the area south of the student union is not walkable, you have to jump back on the bike path to walk that section.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

lazyfish said:
    first I had heard of this….that would be great news.

The Main Street dam is expected to be demolished in about three weeks, followed by a two-year project to re-create narrower banks through downtown.

Here we go again!

goldenidea
    Participant

Looks like the perennials are not doing so well, the bee-balm seems to be the only plant that has survived.

I haven’t had a close or comprehensive look too recently, but I recall a contractor comment in the Dispatch months ago that the geese are eating too many of the new plant shoots preventing them from taking root. I wonder if and how that problem was remedied b/c the geese sure haven’t departed.

My only disappointment is that the area south of the student union is not walkable, you have to jump back on the bike path to walk that section.

In addition to the above-cited inaccessible parts of the east bank, I also haven’t seen how any of the new areas on the west bank will be easily accessible. There’s no parking areas or pathways from Olentangy River Blvd, or even on foot or bike off of any of the bridges, are there? Though it will become more scenic once vegetated, it seems like the west bank is now a larger territory ripe for new homeless camps. Perhaps those areas were never intended to be accessible, just to be viewed from the bike path and the bridges?

JB05
    Participant

goldenidea said:
    There’s no parking areas or pathways from Olentangy River Blvd, or even on foot or bike off of any of the bridges, are there? Though it will become more scenic once vegetated, it seems like the west bank is now a larger territory ripe for new homeless camps. Perhaps those areas were never intended to be accessible, just to be viewed from the bike path and the bridges?

I agree, but I think that’s more of a symptom of Olentangy River Road itself. South of 3rd they’re working to make it more bike and pedestrian friendly, but most of it if unsafe for anything but motor vehicles. It’s really a shame too. You would think OSU would be interested in putting up sidewalks or something at least, given how many people park far away and walk along Olentangy during game days.

James
    Participant

Visually there’s been a dramatic improvement in water quality north of 5th avenue. Last Saturday afternoon I stood on Woody Hayes bridge and watched a clear flowing Olentangy. That would have been unheard of 2 years ago.

The river banks are kind of bleak, but that will correct itself.

brains

Looks like north of the bridge i use to get from Ag campus to Med campus they’ve cleared out all the non-native invasive bush honeysuckle :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

The river is as high as I’d ever seen it before the dam was removed. Had to detour multiple times on my way home from downtown. I wasn’t in a huge hurry, so I kept going back to the path to be close to the raging river full of huge logs.
    Before the thaw, I noticed great blue herons in the midst of the flocks of geese. Never noticed them in wintry conditions before. I wonder if the fishing might have improved.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

This flood event will be Nature vs. Engineering. The latest gauge data from Worthington is about 6400 cubic feet per second.

Think of one cubic foot of water. Now line up 6400 of them, more than a mile long. Now shoot that by in one second.

James
    Participant

Does anybody know if the orange construction fence will be taken down along the trail? I’m pretty sure the fence made the goose problem worse by creating a place for geese to hang out where people and dogs can’t bother them.

News
    Participant

Fifth Avenue Dam Removal and Olentangy River Restoration Project Complete
    September 4, 2014 2:26 pm – Walker Evans

Columbus Mayor Michael Coleman is commonly referred to as “Bikin’ Mike” due to his commitment to biking infrastructure and common spandex-clan sightings. Today, he can add “Canoein’ Mike” to his dossier, as he arrived at a press conference this morning where local officials celebrated the completion of the Olentangy River Restoration Project.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/fifth-avenue-dam-removal-and-olentangy-river-restoration-project-complete

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Pics from yesterday:

Columbus had a celebration at the dam site. Mayor Coleman was among a group who paddled (and dragged) down the river from Tuttle Park to the overlook where the dam used to be.

Coleman giving a speech, in shorts and wet shoes

Looking south from the King Ave. bridge, toward the former dam site

Looking north – the water is clear and moving and you can see a stony bottom. Sweet! They constructed some weirs along the banks.

There’s still a lot of temporary orange fencing. They were having a tough time getting grasses to grow because the geese were eating everything. I overheard one city official say the plastic coyotes didn’t fool the geese.

wpcc88
    Participant

is it deep enough to kayak in that area?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It depends on how much flow there is. Keep an eye on the gauge at Wilson Bridge Road:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00065=on&cb_00060=on&format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03226800

If it’s below 100 CFS you’ll probably have to drag the boat over some of the riffles.

Viewing 14 posts - 316 through 329 (of 329 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: