Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 329 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

brains said:
    This forum and this post came up in a web search while i was looking for opposition to the dam removal-
    -i’m sorry to dredge this one up, but i couldn’t help but notice that someone else noticed some of my work. About a year ago it looks like someone caught the old bus stop sign planted in an exposed part of the river bed. If you were wondering how that got there, that was my doing. While scavenging the exposed river for anything interesting (shopping carts… old hobble skirt coke bottles… a suitcase full of old cameras and associated equipment) and checking out what sort of plants wanted to grow there, i found some old bus stop signs. For whatever reason, i decided they needed to be stood up down there, and that someone might enjoy seeing them.
    Someone speculated it might have been drunks that ripped off the sign? Let it be known that i and my accomplice were 100% sober at the time, and the signs were already down there before we got to them.
    Someone wanted a picture of a man in business attire waiting for a barge? I have just such a picture… but sadly my accomplice in the picture isn’t wearing any business guy clothes. Still, he’s looking at his watch, and off into the distance waiting for… something… to come pick him up.

plz post pic.

Awesome followup. thanks for posting.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

plz post pic.

I may have one in the FOSR laptop, let me check.

ETA here you go. This is cropped from a larger image. This was before the dam removal.

Oops, this is the cropped version

GCrites80s
    Participant

Man, I bet somebody out of their mind high/drunk tried to catch a bus there on at least one occasion.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I like how it’s next to a little bald patch like a lot of people stand there.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

alexs said:

plz post pic.

I may have one in the FOSR laptop, let me check.

that poster said he had one of someone standing there looking like he was waiting for a barge. I’m hoping that gets posted.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Reminds me of a lot of COTA’s bus stops around town.

brains

so it’s not the best picture, and he didn’t quite look at his watch how i wanted him to, but he’s sort of got the “i just checked the time, now i’m going to look towards where the bus comes from even though it’s going to get here when it gets here whether i look for it or not”

Off towards the southern end of columbus island you might be able to see some more people- i forget exactly what they were doing, but i think they were looking for clams or muscles or something…

groundrules
    Participant

anyone else a little disappointed with the aesthetics of the restoration process? It really seems to show the heavy hand of engineers. I was hoping for more of a natural look, but it turns out it’s looking more like a constructed storm water runoff system than a natural river. So much rip rap, so much earth moving. I dunno, maybe it will get better, but it’s looking super artificial and kinda shitty so far.

surber17
    Participant

I think it will take a few years to have the natural growth fill in, but I still like it better than before

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

groundrules said:
    anyone else a little disappointed with the aesthetics of the restoration process?

Give it 25 years or so…

http://fod.osu.edu/dam/files/exhibit_1.pdf

groundrules
    Participant

Walker said:
    Give it 25 years or so…

http://fod.osu.edu/dam/files/exhibit_1.pdf

I’ve seen that. It confirms the heavy handed engineering- oh look, perfectly placed geometric obstructions simulating a riffle here, stone-lined tributary channel there…

rivers are pretty dynamic natural systems, they tend to find their own equilibrium just fine. This looks more spillway than river. I’m just not convinced they really needed to DO as much as they’re doing.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

groundrules said:
    I’ve seen that. It confirms the heavy handed engineering- oh look, perfectly placed geometric obstructions simulating a riffle here, stone-lined tributary channel there…

rivers are pretty dynamic natural systems, they tend to find their own equilibrium just fine. This looks more spillway than river. I’m just not convinced they really needed to DO as much as they’re doing.

agreed. They should have let it do its own thing for a year and work with what it’s naturally going to do instead of engineering the thing to some architect’s idea of an aesthetic standard.

And the shallow pond area they’ve created on the west side at 5th is going to breed mosquitoes if they’re not careful.

JAL
    Participant

That whole damn removal and restoration (At 5TH Ave) will take years since OSU is using it as a research project. I am more interested to see the Main Street damn project when it finally really starts to move forward. According to Amy Taylor of CDDC, since no research money is attached to this project, they will accomplish in less than 24 month at the Main St location what it will take nature 25 years to accomplish at the 5th Ave location.

howatzer
    Participant

The river channel itself already engineered, having been re-routed for ohio stadium, 315, etc, and is contained by a series of levies. Between that and needing to control bank erosion there’s only so much “natural” that can happen there.
    Any source on these research activities that are slowing the restoration down? I’m skeptical.

News
    Participant

Construction Crews to Finish Olentangy River Project
    Updated: Wednesday, November 13 2013, 08:02 PM EST

COLUMBUS (Andrew Michael) — The river reconstruction along the Olentangy River is almost complete after the Fifth Avenue dam was removed a year ago. The project aimed to create a more natural flow through the campus area.

READ MORE: http://www.myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wsyx_construction-crews-finish-olentangy-river-project-27435.shtml#.UoTwEqU9ndE

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 329 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: