Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 329 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant

howatzer said:
    Where did you get that timeline quote? It’s not on the website and last I heard they were still waiting on funding.

They’ve been waiting on funding for over 10 years. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the dam fall down before funding is arranged to remove it.

James
    Participant

Cbusbill said:
    It would be quite a change to see pleasure boats up and down the rivers…tailgating during OSU football games, for Red White & Boom and other downtown festivals…pretty cool.

The vast majority of recreational river usage above 5th ave dam is from collegiate rowers who will be forced to relocate when the dam is removed.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Keep in mind that the Corps of Engineers can control the flow of water at the Delaware dam, but after that there’s no control other than development laws requiring stormwater basins. When there’s a heavy rain event, the Olentangy goes NUTS because of all the impermeable surfaces along the Rt. 23 corridor between Delaware and Columbus, even as almost no water is going through the dam.

http://sciotoriverfriends.org/educational/olentangy_stormwater_spike.pps

http://sciotoriverfriends.org/educational/dam_flow_control.pps

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

poor homeless people going to have to move.

CMH2579
    Participant

The last I heard was funding was secure, but if they couldn’t take it down in the fall of 2011, then it would have to wait for the fall of 2012. I don’t remember exactly why though.

GCrites80s
    Participant

They’ve been talking about removing the damn dam for at least five years.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

That sounds fast for guv’ment…more like 10-12 years

News
    Participant

City plans to demolish 5th Avenue dam
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Wednesday April 4, 2012 5:06 AM

Columbus plans to demolish the 5th Avenue dam along the Olentangy River this summer, a project that will significantly narrow the river near Ohio Stadium and remove a hazard where a man drowned almost four years ago.

Ohio State University officials say they plan to create a riverfront park and use the Olentangy to attract people to the water’s edge.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/04/city-plans-to-take-the-5th.html

columbusmike
    Participant

I’d be interested to find out how this will impact the bike trail this summer. Does anyone know?

Pablo
    Participant

The project will move the bike trail higher and further from the river. :D

groundrules
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    I’d be interested to find out how this will impact the bike trail this summer. Does anyone know?

yeah, that’s the only down side as far as I can tell… just when the dodridge detour will open, they’ll have this all screwed up. oh well. progress!

I’m PSYCHED for a free-flowing river.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It was funny a few years ago when FLOW had an event about this, at the dam. There was a confrontational guy who didn’t want to lose the dam and its pool, and he was trying to hijack the event. He disputed claims that the stagnant water had a reduced fish population.

There was a guy wading and fishing below the dam, and he caught a little bass. The confrontational guy was ranting NOW YOU TELL ME THERE’S NO FISH IN THAT RIVER!

But the guy was not fishing the dam pool, he was down in the natural riverbed, which the whole area will resemble when the dam is gone.

James
    Participant

alexs said:
    It was funny a few years ago when FLOW had an event about this, at the dam. There was a confrontational guy who didn’t want to lose the dam and its pool, and he was trying to hijack the event. He disputed claims that the stagnant water had a reduced fish population.

There was a guy wading and fishing below the dam, and he caught a little bass. The confrontational guy was ranting NOW YOU TELL ME THERE’S NO FISH IN THAT RIVER!

But the guy was not fishing the dam pool, he was down in the natural riverbed, which the whole area will resemble when the dam is gone.

Rowers, mainly from the club team but also the Women’s varsity squad, have used this ‘pool’ for rowing since about 1978. For years, when virtually nobody else used the river, the rowers would be on the water everyday. The club has had a very difficult time getting backing from the University to find a new venue to operate from in town, as the long drive every morning to the reservoirs outside of 270 is a burden on group that pays their own way.

I hope the river gets cleaned up, but I don’t wish to see virtually the only recreational users pushed off of the river and have no alternative in town. There are few bigger advocates for clean water than the people who go out on the river every day.

columbusmike
    Participant

If I’m not mistaken, there is a brand new (and quite amazing) OSU boathouse facility on Dublin Road/Scioto River…

James
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    If I’m not mistaken, there is a brand new (and quite amazing) OSU boathouse facility on Dublin Road…

And all the more amazing because they won’t let rowers from the OSU Crew access it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 329 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: