Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

5th Avenue Dam Removal - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 5th Avenue Dam Removal – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 329 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

wygand said:
    What is the posted limit?

15MPH

Graybeak
    Participant

So, just in the interest of keeping the dam derail going, are the people that have been talked about in a non-flattering manner likely to have speedometers on their bikes?
    I am curious.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Coy said:
    Because the full spandex treatment on a multiuse trail is a joke.
    It’s there to say, “Okay, I’m SERIOUS about this, right, so get the heck out of my way,” which, if you ride the trail, will quickly differentiate for you exactly who is the douche.

I picture them walking into their office everyday sweaty and all Tour de France’d out in order announce to everyone in their building “I COMMUTE BY BIKE and YOU DON’T.”
    Then I imagine all the eyes rolling. Just think it’s a funny visual.

In any other country biking to work is a no brainer, only here do we have to turn it into a status symbol and try and out do each other with our consumption of trendy clothing and (often unnecessary) gear, when an old $75 Schwinn 3 speed would do just fine for a 3 mile morning cruise.

My bike commute is 11-14 miles each way. Could you please tell me what I’m allowed to wear? Thanks so much for your help.

wygand
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    So, just in the interest of keeping the dam derail going, are the people that have been talked about in a non-flattering manner likely to have speedometers on their bikes?
    I am curious.

A lot of them do. I am only a partially serious biker and i have a speedometer on my bike.

mrpoppinzs

I saw a biker get tangled in a dog leash last week. It scared the crap out of the dog, but it wasn’t hurt. I usually go pretty slow when biking on the trail.

surber17
    Participant

bucki12

They are going to have to change the name to the Olentangy Trickle…

Rockmastermike
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    They are going to have to change the name to the Olentangy Trickle…

the flow varies. It’s exceptionally low right now.

johnwirtz
    Participant

surber17 said:
    updated picture from upstream:

https://twitter.com/myurbanhood/status/243758476948553728/photo/1/large

wow, good luck getting your kayak through there

groundrules
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    wow, good luck getting your kayak through there

for now. just remember that a dam imparts a large imbalance of both flow and sediment flux in a stream system. It will take some time to establish a new equilibrium, but soon enough, it will look far from that when a new channel is established and much of that material trapped behind the old damn is flushed out. Additionally, who knows how much human ‘help’ it will have along the way. Really, one serious flood/release from Delaware Reservoir right now, and that sucker could look considerably different in a matter of hours.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

groundrules said:
    one serious flood/release from Delaware Reservoir right now, and that sucker could look considerably different in a matter of hours.

Right.

It’ll look great when it’s sorted itself out. No construction project ever looks good until it’s been cleaned up and the tools put away.

johnwirtz
    Participant

groundrules said:
    for now. just remember that a dam imparts a large imbalance of both flow and sediment flux in a stream system. It will take some time to establish a new equilibrium, but soon enough, it will look far from that when a new channel is established and much of that material trapped behind the old damn is flushed out. Additionally, who knows how much human ‘help’ it will have along the way. Really, one serious flood/release from Delaware Reservoir right now, and that sucker could look considerably different in a matter of hours.

The plans made it look like it would get a lot of human help with the cutting of the new channel and creation of wetland pools.

futureman
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    The plans made it look like it would get a lot of human help with the cutting of the new channel and creation of wetland pools.

From: http://publicutilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=54277

River Feature Reconstruction – Fall 2012

After water levels are lowered by removing the center portion of the 5th Avenue Dam, the shoreline areas will be prepared for planting. Invasive plants that currently grow on the riverbanks will be removed, and the eastern and western shorelines will be “sculpted” into new riverbanks. More than 20 storm sewer outfalls that flowed into the river will be reconstructed as “scour pools” to reconnect them to the location of the new shorelines. Four new wetlands will be constructed, with three wetland areas planned along the western bank of he Olentangy River, and one more wetland along the eastern bank near Woody Hayes Drive. Other river features such as pools (areas of deeper water) and riffles will be constructed throughout the river from Lane Avenue to Fifth Avenue.

Riverside Planting – Spring 2013
    Newly “sculpted” riverbanks will be planted with vegetation to hold soil in place and create riparian habitat along each shoreline. Vegetation was selected based on its intended location, with plants that thrive in wet areas to be planted closest to the river’s edge. Further up the bank, trees and shrubs will be planted to provide a more natural riparian habitat. Trees planted along the highest edges of the river shoreline will eventually provide shade that helps to regulate water temperatures in the river. At the four areas where wetlands will be constructed, suitable wetland plants were selected.

johnwirtz
    Participant

futureman said:
    From: http://publicutilities.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=54277

River Feature Reconstruction – Fall 2012

After water levels are lowered by removing the center portion of the 5th Avenue Dam, the shoreline areas will be prepared for planting. Invasive plants that currently grow on the riverbanks will be removed, and the eastern and western shorelines will be “sculpted” into new riverbanks. More than 20 storm sewer outfalls that flowed into the river will be reconstructed as “scour pools” to reconnect them to the location of the new shorelines. Four new wetlands will be constructed, with three wetland areas planned along the western bank of he Olentangy River, and one more wetland along the eastern bank near Woody Hayes Drive. Other river features such as pools (areas of deeper water) and riffles will be constructed throughout the river from Lane Avenue to Fifth Avenue.

Riverside Planting – Spring 2013
    Newly “sculpted” riverbanks will be planted with vegetation to hold soil in place and create riparian habitat along each shoreline. Vegetation was selected based on its intended location, with plants that thrive in wet areas to be planted closest to the river’s edge. Further up the bank, trees and shrubs will be planted to provide a more natural riparian habitat. Trees planted along the highest edges of the river shoreline will eventually provide shade that helps to regulate water temperatures in the river. At the four areas where wetlands will be constructed, suitable wetland plants were selected.

Yup. Maybe I’ll get to check it out firsthand soon. I’ll be in town in a couple of weeks and again in Nov.

howatzer
    Participant

All I want to know is: Will my dog be able to swim in the river without getting sick?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 329 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO