Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

55 & 59 E Spring St

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 55 & 59 E Spring St

This topic contains 27 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by King Gambrinus King Gambrinus 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

NRI has sat on its land in Franklinton, though.

indyout
    Participant

Yea, they have sat on that land, but, this seems different for some reason. It’s not a large parcel that was up for sale or in an up and coming speculative area.
    It just seems like an uninspiring business district that needs the strength of NRI…Hopefully.

WJT
    Participant

So this is interesting

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/28/nationwide-realty-buys-spring-street-office.html

Interesting! I don’t feel so bad about my insomnia now and being up at 3am.

Nationwide parking garage?

Hopefully more than that.

…I doubt it. I don’t see NRI buying prominent downtown space to sit on it for very long. My guess, if the purchase comes with an adjacent lot, offices. If it is that building alone, then I wouldn’t make the same guess. NW is trying to move from leasing building spaces to owning all their buildings. The new Grandview Yard Campus is not large enough to house all the suburban buildings they lease. GV was only designed to bring a limited number of employees closer to downtown.

ok..I am hoping they get that whole 400 foot stretch and…is it so bad to hope for a new office building on the west side and a parking garage wrapped in residential with ground floor retail on the other side?
    That location would allow(if they would have to have it) for a *gasp* overhead enclosed walkway to cross over and attach to the garage right to the north, which is already connected by walkways to the main complex.

Why do I get my hopes up for this stuff?

I am going to go begin my vigil at the altar of the development Gods now. Can’t sleep anyway.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yea, they have sat on that land, but, this seems different for some reason. It’s not a large parcel that was up for sale or in an up and coming speculative area.<br>
    It just seems like an uninspiring business district that needs the strength of NRI…Hopefully.

Personally, I think this is an up and coming speculative area for many developers based on what’s happening along Long Street. It may just be the first purchase of what could be a bundle of purchases.

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JAL wrote:</div>
    So this is interesting

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/28/nationwide-realty-buys-spring-street-office.html

Interesting! I don’t feel so bad about my insomnia now and being up at 3am.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

Hopefully more than that.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    …I doubt it. I don’t see NRI buying prominent downtown space to sit on it for very long. My guess, if the purchase comes with an adjacent lot, offices. If it is that building alone, then I wouldn’t make the same guess. NW is trying to move from leasing building spaces to owning all their buildings. The new Grandview Yard Campus is not large enough to house all the suburban buildings they lease. GV was only designed to bring a limited number of employees closer to downtown.

That location would allow(if they would have to have it) for a *gasp* overhead enclosed walkway to cross over and attach to the garage right to the north, which is already connected by walkways to the main complex.

That garage across the street isn’t connected to the complex to my knowledge. They would need to build a few more skywalks which at that point, you might as well just walk to the BWC building which does connect to 1 and 3 Nationwide.

I, like you, hope they do a mixed use to meet more than just their new downtown office needs and build retail and living spaces, but it’s hard to see NRI doing that in a smaller space.

JAL
    Participant

The rumor on the street is that NRI is planning to build a parking garage on the surface lot just west of the lone building at 55/59 E Spring (bordering Spring, Pearl, & Lafayette. I hope “if this is actually” the case that they at least add some mixed use to the structure and that it is just the first phase of some other type of development to the surface lot just to the east (bordering up to 3rd St.) I guess if it is really for a parking garage something will be announced soon.

WJT
    Participant

That garage across the street isn’t connected to the complex to my knowledge. They would need to build a few more skywalks which at that point, you might as well just walk to the BWC building which does connect to 1 and 3 Nationwide.

I, like you, hope they do a mixed use to meet more than just their new downtown office needs and build retail and living spaces, but it’s hard to see NRI doing that in a smaller space.

200 North High(the building at the northeast corner of Spring and High) is connected by skywalk west across High to the BWC building and that whole megaplex while also being connected to the garage to the east by a skywalk across Pearl alley/street. Now I don’t know if Nationwide workers have access to all of that or could have access to it..I can’t remember and have not been in any of that complex in years.

The new building they built at the Northwest corner of Nationwide and High has no skywalk so it probably is a moot point anyway it is still close to the edge of the Nationwide fortress/complex.

If they do build anything it will probably be another five story thing with a concrete garage anyway… or they really don’t have any real plans at all…there is no real evidence so why even speculate, why get our hopes up?(see Two 25).

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>

200 North High(the building at the northeast corner of Spring and High) is connected by skywalk west across High to the BWC building and that whole megaplex while also being connected to the garage to the east by a skywalk across Pearl alley/street. Now I don’t know if Nationwide workers have access to all of that or could have access to it..I can’t remember and have not been in any of that complex in years.

The new building they built at the Northwest corner of Nationwide and High has no skywalk so it probably is a moot point anyway it is still close to the edge of the Nationwide fortress/complex.

If they do build anything it will probably be another five story thing with a concrete garage anyway… or they really don’t have any real plans at all…there is no real evidence so why even speculate, why get our hopes up?(see Two 25).

You know, all the times I’ve been down there, I have never noticed that skywalk until today. Wow.

Nationwide Insurance is closing an office in Canton with about 400 employees by 2019. They are allowing leases to expire on at least 2 buildings in the suburbs over the same time period. I had often thought the Columbia Gas building would be a good fit for their new downtown plans but again, their strategy here, and across the nation has been to move to a model of owning the buildings they have workers in. We’ve seen that with moving out of the suburbs to 10 West and soon Grandview and the same in other hub cities for NW. This is just Insurance Operations. They still have a substantial banking operations in the suburbs they may be looking at moving, that I’m not sure of, but I do know they are looking for move nearly all of their insurance operations downtown.

My hope is for more something substantial but I’m guessing more along the lines of 10 West. in my dreams, I hope for a live/work model.

heresthecasey
    Participant

That’s the Federal Building. With all of the security work they’ve done there over the last few years, I highly doubt they would allow Nationwide access either for using their garage or even just to cut-through to the rest of the complex.

Regarding the Spring St building, it’s most likely just the first purchase of larger acquisitions in the area for NRI. And I think given everything else starting to happen in this area, putting only a parking garage on that land would be a missed opportunity. Hopefully it’s something more substantial as others have suggested.

taxguy17
    Participant

This will be a new parking garage with the potential for more (office space). Nationwide needs the parking for all the new associates moving downtown. Currently, the only parking options for new associates are in the lots behind Park St or behind the LC. The parking wait list is over a year long. The demand for parking is definitely there.

jbcmh81
    Participant

If it is just another garage, I give up.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Would you seriously expect anything more exciting and bold for downtown Columbus? Without fixed light rail or a streetcar we will only continue to get stick frame 6 story buildings and parking garages.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

It depends how the garage is done. When fronted by something or built as just part of the base of a larger building it be just fine. But seeing as how this is Columbus we’ll probably just get another one of these. Yay.

park

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: