Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Jerome / Truberry on Second - New Development in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Jerome / Truberry on Second – New Development in Victorian Village

This topic contains 30 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Cbussmallbiz 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

New Five Story 101-Unit Apartment Building Proposed for Victorian Village
    March 11, 2014 – Walker Evans

A new 101-unit 100,000 square foot five-story apartment building is being proposed for development on a large 1.2 acre surface lot in a rapidly changing section of Victorian Village. Borror Properties is proposing the construction of two connected buildings at 991 Dennison Avenue, located between Second and Third Avenues just south of the Specialty Select Hospital Center.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-five-story-101-unit-apartment-building-proposed-for-victorian-village

heresthecasey
    Participant

It looks like all three of these renderings are the view from the rear alley, … with the four story building on the north side of the lot appearing on the left.

I’d be interested in seeing additionally a rendered view from Dennison, drawn elevations, and a site plan. Townhome units screening parking along Dennison, 2nd, and 3rd seem appropriate. Also, like others have mentioned one or two small retail spaces would probably work well at this spot.

The overall height and density aren’t a problem for me, but I’d like to see a setback along the two side streets. Interested to hear what the VVC has to say about this.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FWIW – We should be getting some better renderings in the morning.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Great addition to the neighborhood..I’m sure the renderings will be tweaked several times before this goes up. I’m all for it other than the fact it needs some type of small retail space incorporated into the first floor..corner store, salon, small dental office, coffee shop..something.

heresthecasey
    Participant

This proposal has been reworked and resubmitted for review at this month’s VVC meeting on Thursday. New details below,

991 Dennison Avenue
    Berardi + Partners (Applicant) SND Partners, LLC (Owner)
    An application, siteplan, drawings, and photos have been submitted.

Conceptual Review
    Construction of several styles of residential buildings on 1.16 acre site.
    The southern portion of the site is proposed to be developed in the style of 2.5-story ‘brownstone’ townhomes as individual dwelling units, with integrated garage spaces accessed through an interior court.
    The northern portion of the site is proposed to be developed with a 3.5-story building including a 4.5-story building element at Starr Avenue.
    All parking levels will be set approximately 4-ft below existing grade.
    Buildings have been set back from the right-of-way to preserve green space.

http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Departments/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Victorian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2014/2014%20VVC%20MAY.agd.pdf

News
    Participant

Scaled-Back Residential Project Proposed for Dennison Avenue
    May 8, 2014 4:37 pm – Brent Warren

Borror Properties has been keeping busy in the Short North; they’ve proposed a 16-unit apartment building on West Third Avenue, more residential for the corner of Summit and Third in Italian Village, and recently received approval for the 24-unit Prescott and Pearl apartments. They have scaled back plans, though, for what could be their largest project yet in the neighborhood; 69 units on a 1.2-acre parking lot at the corner of Dennison and Starr Avenues in Victorian Village.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/scaled-back-residential-project-proposed-for-dennison-avenue-bw1

News
    Participant

69-Unit Dennison Avenue Project Gets Conditional Approval
    July 14, 2014 8:52 am – Brent Warren

Borror Properties has cleared another hurdle in their efforts to develop a 1.2-acre parking lot on Dennison Avenue, receiving conditional approval for a 69-unit project at the July meeting of the Victorian Village Commission.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/69-unit-dennison-avenue-project-gets-conditional-approval-bw1

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I’m never one for scaling back projects in the Short North, but I will say that does look much better than the original renderings. Should fit in nicely!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m never one for scaling back projects in the Short North, but I will say that does look much better than the original renderings. Should fit in nicely!

Agreed. I’m not sure if the scaling has anything to do with it, but the updated renderings have far more detail, and are looking much better than the originals, which I assume were just very very preliminary and lacking in design details.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I definitely like the new designs much better, but once again am disappointed that another project had to be scaled back to be approved.

labi
    Participant

Wait! It’s not just the backward villagers of the University Area Commission who want to see new development that relates to a neighborhood’s existing architecture? ;)

jbcmh81
    Participant

Wait! It’s not just the backward villagers of the University Area Commission who want to see new development that relates to a neighborhood’s existing architecture? ;)

Because 1 more story and 32 more units would’ve totally changed the entire character of the neighborhood.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>labi wrote:</div>

Because 1 more story and 32 more units would’ve totally changed the entire character of the neighborhood.

It resulted in a much better looking building, so I guess it worked.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>labi wrote:</div><br>

It resulted in a much better looking building, so I guess it worked.

In relation to the design, I definitely agree it looks better. The first design looked like a pair 270 office buildings. Just saying that the scale would not have been significantly different with an additional single story, especially if set back the way the 4th story is in the current design.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

true, but for all we know maybe at the larger scale all they could afford to do was the 270-style, and making it a little smaller allowed for a higher quality building?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.