Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment at Stonewall Columbus & Mikey's Late Night Slice

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Redevelopment at Stonewall Columbus & Mikey's Late Night Slice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

Not everything old is worth saving.

Exactly

Brooke Wojdynski
    Brooke Wojdynski
    Participant

I’ve always been shocked that Mikey’s doesn’t get flack for their sexual objectification of women in their marketing, and it frustrates me that they have become so successful. Is it really necessary to have TITS and PERV in foot tall lettering plastered on your trucks and your secret sauce be called Slut Sauce? Honestly, I expected more from the Columbus community. We are better than this.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

I agree. Not all old things are worth saving. A shack that has no historic features or significance other than age doesnt really qualify for putting up a fight. I love development but I wouldn’t mind seeing this with the container for some years.

If I were doing the build, I would place the container in the rear of the lot. No parking. It’s not really a drive up destination thus onsite parking isn’t needed. I’d place picnic tables throughout. A few potted trees throughout. And finally string lights between the buildings.

Mike88
    Participant

I’m surprised the shack is that old to be honest. Either way I think the container sounds slick and hopefully it can help to create a proper patio for Oddfellows as well. I’d love to be able to chill outside with a beer this spring/summer.

jOHnH
    Participant

I’m surprised that little shanty has made it this long. I think the container shop can be pretty cool, saw a lot of these in NYC the last time I was there. I’m sure Mikey and his crew will make it cool. What they have done with the Airstream trailer at the bar in the arena makes this idea pretty promising. Ditch the parking lot though.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I guess I didn’t realize that shack was in that bad a shape. Doesn’t look all the bad on the outside (or maybe I just haven’t noticed.) I hope they can keep the feel Mickey’s has right now with the mis-matched seats and the sidewalk bar and not go all Portlandia looking with a shiny shipping container.

but pizza. yup, I’ll eat it coming out of whatever they put there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…go all Portlandia looking with a shiny shipping container.

Do they even have any shipping container businesses in Portland yet? I’ve been reading about them in a lot of other places, but haven’t stumbled upon any mentioned there.

We hit up one in San Juan PR a few months ago while on vacation and it was pretty awesome:

https://www.facebook.com/tresbecafe

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

looks like Ikea started a pop up.

Pablo
    Participant

So Stonewall is planning to tear down their building along with 14 E. 4th? What’s the proposed building look like?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So Stonewall is planning to tear down their building along with 14 E. 4th? What’s the proposed building look like?

Brent started looking into it last week. The folks at Stonewall didn’t have anything to share at that point. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow?

Victor Ian Skwydde
    Participant

I think we should be glad to see it go. Some have commented to me that it was dangerous to work in.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

haters gonna hate. I love the shack. Gives high street some character that seems to be getting overrun by sterile developments.

Jason Beyondo
    Participant

I’ve always been shocked that Mikey’s doesn’t get flack for their sexual objectification of women in their marketing, and it frustrates me that they have become so successful. Is it really necessary to have TITS and PERV in foot tall lettering plastered on your trucks and your secret sauce be called Slut Sauce? Honestly, I expected more from the Columbus community. We are better than this.

Hi Folks,

Mikey’s right hand guy here, and CCO of Late Night Slice. While the topic here is about the shack structure and our ideas for improvement, I feel that Brooke’s comment is deserving of a response.

We do get flack sometimes, Brooke. And it’s understandable.

Please understand that our roots are from servicing to a late night crowd, almost exclusively. All of our marketing reflects not just that fact, but also our humor and love of satire. In that vein, we do come across saucy (not a pun on purpose, but a great one nonetheless!) in our marketing and products. Some gags, like the Slut Sauce, seem to challenge some people’s ideas. But I can tell you that it’s not meant to be derogatory towards women. Nor men. In fact, our last few label designs were intended to convey a provocative and humorous idea of the notion of the word. I’m proud to have worked with Nina West on what will likely be our final label for the sauce (I mean, I can’t imagine ever being able to top it).

Our other gags like the Tactical Ingredient Transport System and Pizza Emergency Response Vehicle are likewise intended as satire. Is it childish? Oh yeah. Definitely childish. But not so much that the majority of our customers don’t get our humor. As fans of Family Guy, Daily Show, Tosh.0, and similar satire based comedy, we have struck a chord with those who are like-minded. We do run the risk of alienating some potential customers, however. But that’s okay with us. To any who care to reach out, I will always be happy to share our views and hopefully reach an understanding, even if an agreement could not be met.

Our humor can be admittedly, a bit… low brow at times. But we’re pretty idealistic about some things. We realize that we’ll never change the world selling pizza and condiments. But we can make our mark on coexistence when we make people from vastly different walks of life, laugh together.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Well said Jason. I’ve always loved the foot note on the Slut Sauce label saying something along the lines of it being a man’s butt. It’s brilliantly placed for the people who are easily offended and need trigger warnings. Disregard the easily offended. Who needs ’em!

Jason Beyondo
    Participant

I guess I didn’t realize that shack was in that bad a shape. Doesn’t look all the bad on the outside (or maybe I just haven’t noticed.) I hope they can keep the feel Mickey’s has right now with the mis-matched seats and the sidewalk bar and not go all Portlandia looking with a shiny shipping container.

but pizza. yup, I’ll eat it coming out of whatever they put there.

Our shack isn’t necessarily that bad. It’s certainly not “dangerous.” But it was never meant to do what we’ve been doing with it. It’s a used car that we’ve been riding pretty hard, and we need to start thinking about what happens when the engine inevitable throws a rod.

I was actually pretty surprised to hear that it is considered “historical” in any sense. It’s just old. And as it was put earlier, not everything that is old is worth saving.

We’ve been undeniably fortunate to have an amazing clientele of customers and dedicated staff in our short five years. Not seeking out a way to improve our operation and the surrounding environment would be doing a disservice to all who keep us going and growing.

I would like to remind everyone that everything Mikey is working towards here is in as early in development as things can get. It’s an amazing idea, and I promise that if and when this all comes about, you’ll all be greatly pleased with the final appearance and what will be added to the area.

Please take note that when I say “early in development,” I’m talking dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream-beginning-of-an-inception. Something like this will require a lot of discussion and planning and some reworking and pioneering of existing bureaucracy, before we even get to the physical aspects of building.

Personally, I’m excitedly pleased with the initial support we’ve seen from you guys here and the buzz generated by this story. I can’t wait until there’s something more to report.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: