Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Redevelopment at Stonewall Columbus & Mikey's Late Night Slice

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Redevelopment at Stonewall Columbus & Mikey's Late Night Slice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

Pretty light on details right now, but this will be presented at the IVC meeting next Tuesday,

14-12-16
    1160 North High Street
    John Behal/Beahl Sampson Dietz (Applicant) Stonewall Columbus, Inc. (Owner)
    An application, photographs, and site plan have been submitted.

Demolition
    • First conceptual review of the demolition of the existing 1957 commercial building at 1160 N. High Street and redevelopment of the lots in conjunction with the adjacent building at 14 East Fourth Avenue.

http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Departments/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Italian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2014/2014%20IVC%20DEC%20agd.pdf (bottom of page 8)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

1030 North High Street
    Mike Sorboro (Applicant) Mike Maloof (Owner)
    An application, site plan, and elevation drawings have been submitted.
    Demolition
     Demolish the existing one-story, frame building. Based on a review of Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, the building
    was constructed sometime between 1901 and 1922, and was historically associated with auto dealerships.
    Install New Pizza Stand & Landscaping
     Install a movable shipping container-style pizza trailer, per the submitted example photos.
     Stripe rear of lot for car parking, per the submitted site plan.
     Install new tables and landscaping.
     Install new fencing to separate parking, trash, and patron seating area, per the submitted site plan.

Looks like they’re gonna tear down the original Mikey’s as well.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I think the biggest story here is that Barrel 44 is changing it’s name to Barrel: Spirits on High

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Looks like they’re gonna tear down the original Mikey’s as well.

boo!

jbcmh81
    Participant

So wait… replacing a historic, albeit small and 1-story, building for some picnic tables, more parking and a shipping container? This should be laughed out of the commission meeting.

ehill27
    Participant

^ I’m not actually sure about that.

That shack will probably be replaced by a building at some point anyway, so the removal and replacement with a temporary structure (and shipping containers are trendy right now) gets them one step closer to the most desirable solution.

It will be interesting to see how they respond…

jbcmh81
    Participant

^ I’m not actually sure about that.

That shack will probably be replaced by a building at some point anyway, so the removal and replacement with a temporary structure (and shipping containers are trendy right now) gets them one step closer to the most desirable solution.

It will be interesting to see how they respond…

I’m just not a fan of demolition without some bigger replacement plan in place. Who knows when, or even if, a larger project would ever be built there by the business in question.

drew
    Participant

I think Mikey’s owns the building that holds Oddfellows as well as the parking lot with the pizza shack. The shack’s a scrubby dump, not something that’ll be looked upon fondly for any sort of historical value. Hell, when exactly was it built, anyhow?

If it was scrapped, and the appearances of the current lot area were improved (by an owner who could easily just do nothing with impunity) then what’s not to like? The alternative is not ‘build something bigger’ unless the money and the will to do so were with Mikey’s… which, per the submittal, I’d surmise they’re not.

futureman
    Participant

I find it interesting the shack being demolished is even called a building.

News
    Participant

Mikey’s Considers Shipping Container Replacement for Original Late Night Shack
    December 13, 2014 9:47 am – Walker Evans

LNS owner Mikey Soroboro says that the wear and tear on the shack has brought the structure to the edge of functionality, and he thinks a shipping container with a beer-garden style patio replacement is the best solution to keep the business running while fixing some of the other issues with the site.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/mikeys-considers-shipping-container-replacement-for-original-late-night-shack

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I think Mikey’s owns the building that holds Oddfellows as well as the parking lot with the pizza shack. The shack’s a scrubby dump, not something that’ll be looked upon fondly for any sort of historical value. Hell, when exactly was it built, anyhow?

If it was scrapped, and the appearances of the current lot area were improved (by an owner who could easily just do nothing with impunity) then what’s not to like? The alternative is not ‘build something bigger’ unless the money and the will to do so were with Mikey’s… which, per the submittal, I’d surmise they’re not.

Mike Maloof is the owner of the building and lot. The shack construction has been estimated to be sometime between 1901 and 1922.

The building was first used in 1900 by John C. Hatfield. He was a painter (houses, signs, etc.)

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

This is a tough one. I mean, I love history, and historic buildings in historic neighborhoods. But I hate surface lots. But using Shipping Containers is pretty trendy in “big” cities right now, and I’d like Columbus to be a “big” city. And I love Mikey’s LNS and they seem to know what’s good for their business. The landlord thinks it’s ok. They’re prepared to go to the IVC to get the approval. And pizza shouldn’t be served out of a building that is totally dilapidated. And everyone calls it a shack, but a shack can’t possibly ever be Mixed-Use, so how could they fix it up anyways?

This is a tough one.

nexttuesday
    Participant

I wouldn’t call it a historic building. It’s more of a lean-to. Literally. To continue to serve food from that thing is impractical. Not everything old is worth saving.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

With a building of this size, couldn’t it be saved by carefully moving it to a museum/cultural center or someplace similar? Though personally I don’t think that is completely necessary. IMHO when it comes to saving structures in historical neighborhoods, pick your battles wisely. (cough) White Castle (cough, cough).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: