Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

4476 N High development in Clintonville

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 4476 N High development in Clintonville

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

DouginCMH
    Participant

Sorry if there’s another thread about this (I looked, but didn’t see one). There’s another Crawford Hoying mixed use (residential/commercial) development project being planned in Clintonville, at 4476 N. High St. at East Dominion Boulevard. It’s the current site of the Novak Funeral Home. Details here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/08/19/apartments-proposed-for-novak-funeral-home-site-in.html

The twist here, I think is that the current structure is historically relevant, and was included in a list of significant buildings that the new CAC historical buildings committee recently looked at:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2015/07/20/walk-challenges-shutterbugs-to-capture-historic-buildings.html

I’ve never been inside the structure (a funeral home, so I’m cool with that). But it’s visually impressive from the outside. While the developer is quoted as saying this project is similar to the Bareburger development just down the street, I would imagine that, in this instance, tearing down an historical structure in order to build something else on the site will generate a fair amount of attention from the community.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

To be “historical” it has to have belonged to a person(s) or family who were instrumental in history somehow, or the building was part of an ongoing pattern of historically important events, or it is important architecturally.

Although I agree that this building is much nicer than the other demo just a few blocks up the street. I do think that North Clintonville is going to be one of the next big hotspots and there is a shortage of nice rental units in the area for younger professionals and urban lifestylers.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Well, it was once depicted as Paul Bearer and the Undertaker’s funeral home on Monday Night Raw (I shit you not). As far as I’m concerned, if that’s not historically significant, than nothing is.

Some backstory about that video: At around the time this was shot, Mills-James Productions was doing a lot of outsourced TV work for WWE, amongst other clients. Mills-James’ first office was in the old Beechwold library building nearby to that particular funeral home, so it was only natural that they would use that building as an exterior shot for a funeral home (it also didn’t hurt that WWE was in Columbus near the time that that scene was shot).

Eugene_C
    Participant

Great bit of history! Submit that to the Ohio historical society. :)

DouginCMH
    Participant

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/clintonville/news/2015/11/06/Mixed-use-project-requires-razing-of-Clintonville-funeral-home-WB-GS.html

“Local developer Crawford Hoying will construct a 12,000-square-foot building in its place at 4476 N. High St. Retail will take up the entire 4,000-square-foot ground floor. The top two floors will be reserved for eight one- and two-bedroom apartments, each with a balcony.”

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

They’re loosing a “landmark” building but at least it’s being replaced by a good looking mixed use building.

ohbr
    Participant

If the renderings are accurate, I’m so glad Clintonville is getting another bank. Every time I drive through that part of town, I wonder how they get by with so few banks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE