Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

400 W Rich- Call for Proposals for Cafe/Bakeshop

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 400 W Rich- Call for Proposals for Cafe/Bakeshop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

The traffic from tenants alone right now would be something to consider- we’ve got 19 studios rented on the first floor, 11 on the second floor, and a total of 46 individuals working out of the building at various times throughout the week. Most of whom are coffee drinkers who pickup cups on their way in, or leave several times during the day in search of caffeine (raising hand). There isn’t anything within a 15 min round trip walking distance.

Not to say selling 46 cups of coffee a day is anything that can sustain a business, but those customers with the addition of the rush hour traffic heading into the city along Rich in the morning has great potential for whatever operation ends up taking over the space.

Nor is there a quick and easy option to walk to pickup lunch or dinner or cocktails (with the exception of The Three Deuces Bar or Milestone 22), which leads into our next call for proposals for a bar/restaurant.

Look for that posting soon. : )

lifeontwowheels said:
    The thai place is awesome. But I won’t sugar coat, we need more options out west.

What Thai place? I didn’t know there was one over there…

JimSweeney
    Participant

Unless the economy goes off another cliff, that corner of that building will be hot one day soon. Now might be a good time to lock it down…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Kbear919 said:
    What Thai place? I didn’t know there was one over there…

Westgate Thai[/url]

Not to derail but took a friend down the other week when she was in town. Amazing food…the guy asked how spicy we wanted it and gave us a scale and reference point-we could go 1-10 with a 5 being good Mexican food. 6 was perfect for me and brought a nice burn and plenty of taste. They even brought out some ice cream on the house with this fried/caramelized banana.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I wonder if someone could use the space as part studio/office, and part cafe. Then they could still be makin’ some bucks in the downtimes between meal rushes. Plus it would give it a certain “je ne sais quoi”, which is French for “I don’t know what that means”, I think.

I wonder what kind of food code there would be to address in a building like that. Like maybe everything could be mostly premade in another facility, and just sold there?

It would also be interesting to have a person be like a “house mother” (regardless of their gender), and live in the space, and just have food and coffee in the works every day. Being able to cook in-house would smell good, which might equal more sales potential.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Manatee said:
    I wonder if someone could use the space as part studio/office, and part cafe. Then they could still be makin’ some bucks in the downtimes between meal rushes.

The multi-work model is a good idea. Upper Cup Coffee and Brioso are both roasteries in addition to cafes. So you can produce your product to sell to other businesses or sell online to make money during non-foottraffic hours.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

im thinking right now more kiosk with goods brought in and coffee. it would require a change in use and upgrades if we went all out. one big issue is no drain (or not one within 35 feet) so our min slope might be tricky when tying in to the existing line. bringing water to the space is easy, just draining it is the issue. another drain option would be a sump and discharge pump system, would need to check with building services on that one.

my thought to was remove the windows and sill walls within the columns, floor, ceiling and replace with retail aluminum frame and glass. really open it up! ADA will also be a challenge as the first floor sits about 30 inches off the exterior elevation and limited exterior space to add a ramp. we may have to do something similar to basil’s entry and have the ramp on the inside. our current ADA access is through our parking lot with grade level 36 inch entry doors.

bumping this up : )

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE