Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

4-H Clubs Could be Shut Down Across State

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 4-H Clubs Could be Shut Down Across State

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Funding cuts could shut down 4-H clubs across state

Monday, May 31, 2010

BY KATHY LYNN GRAY

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Some 4-H clubs that nurture young farmers and channel prize pigs, cows and chickens to Ohio fairs could go out of business by year’s end, and others could follow as the 88 county extension offices that support the clubs struggle to survive.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/05/31/funding-cuts-could-shut-down-4-h-clubs-across-state.html?sid=101

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

that would be sad.

joev
    Participant

I have to say, I’m kinda surprised 4-H is partially funded with tax dollars. Not to say it’s not a worthy cause.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

No kidding, as much as some of those champions sell for I’m surprised they’d need any tax money.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Well that would suck for the farm kids who look forward to 4H projects and comps at county fairs all year. Although I don’t know what state funding has to do with the org, we paid for everything involved with our projects ourselves.

Porky, the money from sales of animal goes to the kids who raised them. That big prize money is what sends some kids to college (not many grand prize winners though).

I assume what the state money pays for is the administration costs of the org. It might be able to limp along as an org with local funding or higher dues. It’s not like farmers have money to spare now. Really sad situation.

Kerry

GW_Justice wrote >>

I assume what the state money pays for is the administration costs of the org. It might be able to limp along as an org with local funding or higher dues. It’s not like farmers have money to spare now. Really sad situation.

You’re correct, state monies pays for the extension office administration which provides many services, including 4H. It’s sad to think that 4H which is was stated in Ohio and grew into a worldwide program may cease to exist here.

Allen county was able to raise funds via facebook last year to save their program, thousands were raised in only a matter of weeks. Through the efforts of a 4Her who didn’t want to see her county loose out on the many benefits of 4H.

I am hopeful the 4H community will find a way to save its programming.

joev
    Participant

From what I understand, 4-H is only in jeopardy in three counties that failed to pass levy issues for their counties’ extension offices. If the people in those three counties don’t value the extension offices’ services enough to pass a levy, I don’t see the problem with losing 4-H there. The statewide program isn’t in danger – just in these three counties.

berdawn

I don’t know anything about Highland or Carroll counties, but I can’t believe that Jackson County wouldn’t fund the 4-H program. hell, I’m still surprised when people don’t want to fund schools, tho.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

joev wrote >>
    The statewide program isn’t in danger – just in these three counties.

Thanks for the clarification. The way it was worded in the original article left me a bit confused about that. Just updated the thread title to hopefully be more clear.

joev
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    The statewide program isn’t in danger – just in these three counties.

Thanks for the clarification. The way it was worded in the original article left me a bit confused about that. Just updated the thread title to hopefully be more clear.

That’s the Dispatch, for you. Their vagueness gets you to read the story, though, I guess.

bayrea
    Participant

I misread this as “4-H Clubs SHOULD be shut down across the State” All I could think of was that Walker REALLY loves downtown and must HATE surburbia a lot more than I realized.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

GW_Justice wrote >>
    Porky, the money from sales of animal goes to the kids who raised them. That big prize money is what sends some kids to college (not many grand prize winners though).

I understand the money goes to the kids, I was being facetious, kinda, but it sure seems like there should be enough money to go around.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bayrea wrote >>
    I misread this as “4-H Clubs SHOULD be shut down across the State” All I could think of was that Walker REALLY loves downtown and must HATE surburbia a lot more than I realized.

Suburbia has 4H? I always thought it was more of a rural kinda thing. ;)

mnwke

I was in 4-H until I was 12, raised a pig or two and I learned a lot. I’d be sad if this great program for rural youth gets shut down in certain counties here in Ohio.

GW_Justice
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Suburbia has 4H? I always thought it was more of a rural kinda thing. ;)

Check out the stats for 4H membership:

http://4-h.org/groups/large/ABOUTUS/13147544 (crappy flash interface)

Only 12% of the kids are rural now. The clubs are all about computers and engineering and leadership and other non-farm stuff. This is not the farm kids org I was in many years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE