Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

gk

The Transportation Secretary stated that passenger rail funding will be reallocated to other states if current recipients reject the use for rail development:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/15/AR2010111506968.html

chucky

Bill introduced in Congress regarding rail funds.

Those states that turn the money down, funds will be redirected to pay down the debt and can not go to other states.

Checkmate Lahood

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/108470944.html

tree_sketcher
    Participant

ahh, second paragraph Chucky: “If approved by Congress and signed into law”. This would have to get passed by the senate and not get Vetoed by Obama. Good luck with that.

Charlie

Interesting….

Citing its $7.5 million annual operating costs, Walker has vowed to kill the train line, first proposed by then-Gov. Tommy G. Thompson, a Republican, and more recently championed by outgoing Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle.

Glad to see Ohio is not the only state playing this game.
    At this point, I think the best thing democrats could do to help this is to come out against the train.

chucky

I understand that part. Lot of interesting things going on in the backround. New governor elect in Wisconsin not opposed to upgrading the rails between Chicago and Milwaukee on the Hiawatha and the rails on the Empire Builder service that cuts through Wisconsin. All trains would then be able to travel up to 90 mph in the state.

If he can not convert the rail funding to fixing the roads. That would take an act of congress though.

tree_sketcher wrote >>
    ahh, second paragraph Chucky: “If approved by Congress and signed into law”. This would have to get passed by the senate and not get Vetoed by Obama. Good luck with that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Waiting on Ohio’s rail money
    Posted by Jonathan Riskind
    November 16, 2010 3:07 PM

There is a growing line of states and Democratic governors eager to grab all or some of Ohio’s $400 million in high-speed rail money that GOP Gov.-elect John Kasich says he will reject when he is sworn into office in January.

READ MORE: http://blog.dispatch.com/dailybriefing/2010/11/waiting_on_ohios_rail_money.shtml

KyleEzell

^ When did infrastructure become so taboo? Ohio is on the ball, wow.

chucky

Incoming Florida governor elect the next to say NO to the rail money ?

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20101122/ARTICLE/11221054?p=1&tc=pg

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

KyleEzell wrote >>

Just certain types. Kashic apparently has no issue accepting the money for road use…but rail? That’s an evil subsidy for something we can’t afford.

roy
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

KyleEzell wrote >>

Just certain types. Kashic apparently has no issue accepting the money for road use…but rail? That’s an evil subsidy for something we can’t afford.

It’s not a good/evil thing for the incoming administration, it’s much more simple than that. It’s that the road builders and concrete/asphalt makers and their lobbyists funded his campaign, and he’s gotta pay them back.

Kasich is a pigheaded stubborn fool – he will reject things on “principle” even when it sets back and hurts Ohio – he has no ideas other than to cut and instead of Ohio showing leadership on the 3C rail and provding incentives for RR Manufactures in Ohio and create a new industry in a state that desperately needs the jobs, as well as think about the future 20 years out, $7.00 gasoline, the ignoramus is sending the money back so that it goes to DC or New York. He is a pigheaded, ignorant, backward fool. We need to cut, but we also need to invest in the future and change the paradigm – as bankrupt as Ohio is he is even more so of ideas. Supply side didn’t work under Ronald Reagan it won’t work now – this guy is just plain and simple a jerk. This is called penny wise and pound foolish – he is afraid to spend $10M a year to subsidize a $400M investment in the state’s future – he is truly a fool, but needs to placate the tea partiers in Westerville (while he is laughing let them eat cake)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Best user name EVER!!!!

bman
    Participant

We all know that we disagree on this topic. My thinking on this issue is as follows. Our existing highway structure is sunk cost, infrastructure we already have in place that now MUST BE MAINTAINED and IMPROVED. Building this Rail to Nowhere would just add additional infrastructure that had to be maintained during difficult times. I would rather see our existing budgets used to maintain what we have rather than a rail system and allow our existing infrastructure to fall apart worse than it already has during these tough economic times. If rail is to happen in today’s climate it will have to be done via the private sector.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

bman wrote >>
    We all know that we disagree on this topic. My thinking on this issue is as follows. Our existing highway structure is sunk cost, infrastructure we already have in place that now MUST BE MAINTAINED and IMPROVED. Building this Rail to Nowhere would just add additional infrastructure that had to be maintained during difficult times. I would rather see our existing budgets used to maintain what we have rather than a rail system and allow our existing infrastructure to fall apart worse than it already has during these tough economic times. If rail is to happen in today’s climate it will have to be done via the private sector.

And i refuse to let any more of my hard earned tax dollars go towards your boondoggle freeways that cost billions to maintain, and that I will never use. How wasteful. Convert them to toll roads, if roads are to be built and maintained in todays economic climate it will have to be done via the private sector.

Viewing 15 posts - 736 through 750 (of 1,160 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: