Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author

chucky

Interesting, just a couple of years ago, the Chattannoga Maglev was supposed to go to Nashville.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_112372.asp

Now you’re going to get Georgia to pony up billions for Chattanooga ?

You got to love these politicians.

KyleEzell wrote >>

Walker wrote >>

KyleEzell wrote >>
    My old home city of Chattanooga is planning a 180-mph Maglev train starting in downtown Chatt to Atlanta airport. The train will be built on Interstate 75. Everyone is very excited about it. Things like this make it hard to rationalize my move to Ohio 13 years ago.

From the article:
    “Even though the project is moving quickly, it could be as long as 10 years before it’s actually funded and construction can begin.”
    After 23 years, (and assuming it actually gets built) you’ll be able to move back to Tennessee with pride. ;)

Didn’t say it was being built next year. The big difference is that they are not calling it a choo-choo train like they do in Ohio.

bjones7
    Participant

Here’s a crazy idea, if the State of Ohio doesn’t want the money, why can’t the city of Columbus take it? Don’t get me wrong, I know Coleman has been trying to get something started for the past 10 years, but my question is why does it have to go to another state? Why can’t 400 million be divided between the major cities to improve Mass Transportation for the next 5 or so years? Where did it say it had to go JUST for the 3C railway? I thought the money was for Mass Transit right? Commuter rails could be included in that 400 million right?

My beef is $400 million creates jobs, even if it’s 5 years from now. It creates jobs period! Kasich doesn’t want this for Ohio?!?!

KyleEzell

^ I love it.

KyleEzell

OMG Speaking of which… New York wants Ohio’s money! (from Dave Lemmon on my Facebook news):

Cuomo: We'll take Ohio's money

Core_Models

KyleEzell wrote >>
    OMG Speaking of which… New York wants Ohio’s money! (from Dave Lemmon on my Facebook news):
    http://blog.timesunion.com/capitol/archives/34154/cuomo-well-take-ohios-money/

LOL…I stole it from Pablo above ;)

johnwirtz
    Participant

bjones7 wrote >>
    Here’s a crazy idea, if the State of Ohio doesn’t want the money, why can’t the city of Columbus take it? Don’t get me wrong, I know Coleman has been trying to get something started for the past 10 years, but my question is why does it have to go to another state? Why can’t 400 million be divided between the major cities to improve Mass Transportation for the next 5 or so years? Where did it say it had to go JUST for the 3C railway? I thought the money was for Mass Transit right? Commuter rails could be included in that 400 million right?
    My beef is $400 million creates jobs, even if it’s 5 years from now. It creates jobs period! Kasich doesn’t want this for Ohio?!?!

This money was dedicated for inter-city rail, and this project specifically based on a competitive grant. Local urban rail generally has to go through the FTA New Starts Program, although they could have also applied for TIGER grants like the Cinci Streetcar.

chucky

Ohio will have on last shot at the rail funds.

The moderate Republicans in the state senate will meet with John soon, and discuss dropping the 3C route officially and reorienting the 400 million to the Chicago – Pittsburgh higher speed daylight service.

All evidence points to this route breaking even. It does nothing for central Ohio as far as service, but the state of Ohio will benefit. The 20 years worth of subsidies on the 3C killed it for Kasich.

The video is of VIA RAIL to the North of us as it leaves a station gathering speed up to 90 mph on their new concrete ties and continous welded rails. This boosted their average speeds by nearly 30 mph throughout the country.

Core_Models

Oh for fuck’s sake.

1. All transportation is subsidized.

2. The subsidy, by Republican estimates, is 1/10 of 1 percent of the ODOT budget and could be paid for entirely by the revenue generated by the f’ing blue signs on the freeway.

3. “gathering speed up to 90 mph on their new concrete ties and continous welded rails.” That’s 10 whole MPH above the 3C without any improvements.

chucky

So we should drop it then ?

KASICH – NO SUBSIDY FOR RAIL, I’m telling you the way it is, and you want to crap on me ?

Core_Models wrote >>
    Oh for fuck’s sake.
    2. The subsidy, by Republican estimates, is 1/10 of 1 percent of the ODOT budget and could be paid for entirely by the revenue generated by the f’ing blue signs on the freeway.
    3. “gathering speed up to 90 mph on their new concrete ties and continous welded rails.” That’s 10 whole MPH above the 3C without any improvements.

Core_Models

chucky wrote >>
    KASICH – NO SUBSIDY FOR RAIL, I’m telling you the way it is, and you want to crap on me ?

Core_Models wrote >>
    Oh for fuck’s sake.

LOL…wish we could chucky, because that’s exactly the stuff Kasich (and others) has been pumping out that makes me crazy about this. Suddenly they’ll talk about 90MPH trains (max, not average, speed) when it serves them…or “break evens” on funding…

And no, I wasn’t crapping on you, was crapping on Kasich’s crappy claim ;)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

chucky wrote >>
    Ohio will have on last shot at the rail funds.
    The moderate Republicans in the state senate will meet with John soon, and discuss dropping the 3C route officially and reorienting the 400 million to the Chicago – Pittsburgh higher speed daylight service.

Well that’s nice for Cleveland. Of Course that also means a fair number of people riding to Chicago/PGH from inside Ohio (PGH goes to NYC too). I usually go to PGH to get to NYC, but if the speed on that line is upped it might be easier to go out of the Cleveland area. As long as that grant stays in state it will do some good for Ohio.

Core_Models

As long as that grant stays in state it will do some good for Ohio.

The entire idea seems preposterous to me. The grant was applied for based on a specific project, was granted for that. It can’t be applied to some other project just because its also rail anymore than it can be applied to freeways or medicare.

ETA: I’m sure Kasich could send it back, then REapply for a grant to do this other thing, and I’m sure Ray LaHood would actually do a spit take.

Paul
    Participant

honavery wrote >>
    I rode a bus once in Italy and it wasn’t as comfortable as a train I also rode in Italy

Rail works for huge cities like Washington DC, New York, and Boston, where traffic and parking are such an expensive hassle that books have be written just about their traffic problems. Why can’t it work for a state like Ohio which has nothing in common with those east coast cities whatsoever?

Did you see the post chucky made regarding different bus options compared to trains?

Do you think the needs of Ohio are now, or will ever be, in line with the needs of the East Coast cities?

One thing I like about buses, at least for inter-city travel in Ohio, is that unlike trains they don’t require that half a billion dollars be spent up front specifically on their infrastructure. Also the bus gets you from Columbus to Cincy almost an entire hour quicker than the proposed 3C rail. Why are people even still discussing a train that takes 3 hours to get from Columbus to the Cincinnati municipal airport as if it was a viable transit option? The stepping stone argument not withstanding (that argument is at best dubious and at worst retarded).

Twixlen wrote >>
    Right, but the point of the whole thread is 3C, and longer distance travel. It’s one thing to commute by bus – it’s another to spend hours on one.
    It’s impractical to start with light rail, or to start with high speed trains – it takes much, MUCH more money, as it can’t use existing rail lines. The 3C was a place to start.
    As for the speed, I believe there are a couple studies out there showing exactly how wrong Kasich, et al, are about the average speed (shown to be closer to 50mph, top speeds of 79mph). The deliberate spread of that misinformation is childish and ignorant, at best.

Did you see the post chucky made regarding different bus options compared to trains?

The proposed 3C option was not a good place to start. This debate can be had ad nauseam, but it’s not going to change the fact that it’s not going to happen in the form that was proposed. We need to come up with better ideas than spending $400 million+ dollars on a system that is slow and outdated the day it comes into service.

“A couple studies blah blah”… I’m not taking about the speed 50mph vs. 79mph vs. whatever. “Deliberate spreading of childish blah blah”? What are you talking about? I’m talking about the schedule that the 3C rail people published that showed a trip from Columbus to Cincinnati taking almost 3 hours. That’s what I’m talking about. That’s what the proponents of the rail system should have been talking about and worrying about. What I find to be the most deliberate spread of misinformation is referring to that train as “high speed rail.”

somertimeoh wrote >>
    There’s one Greyhound bus a day that goes to the airport. Our only mass transit option in this city. So regardless of the quantity of buses, they aren’t very effective in many ways.
    It takes 6 hours on a Greyhound to get to Cincinnati. 3 hours on 3-C sounds amazing.
    And again, why are you so concerned about our “boondoggle” you live in a city with CHOICES. Having a train doesn’t mean anyone is mandated to ride it, but those who would like to need a choice.

I think our city transit options need serious improvement. Reliable and convenient transit to/from the airport is a huge one. I don’t really care if it’s a shuttle service or light rail. But we need something.

It’s takes 6 hours on a Greyhound to get to Cincinnati???? Unless the Greyhound website is lying to me or I’m reading it wrong, it takes 1hr and 55 min on a Greyhound bus to get from Columbus to Cincy.

I love how everyone keeps bringing up my current city as a reason to discount my opinions regarding mass transit in Ohio. The rest of your statement doesn’t really make sense so I won’t respond to it.

Core_Models

I’m talking about the schedule that the 3C rail people published that showed a trip from Columbus to Cincinnati taking almost 3 hours.

You mean the schedule that was derived prior to negotiating any right of ways with freight traffic to speed it up, and later revised to be about half that?

ETA: btw, I wouldn’t be remotely behind a train project with the schedules initially published either. Those weren’t the schedules though.

chucky

This isn’t Kasich’s idea, it was a bipartisan plan worked with state senate Dems, Republicans, Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, state of Indiana, and the state of Pennsylvania.

Most Ohioians are not aware that Indiana applied for rail money from Chicago to Cleveland, Ohio disappeared on the other end, leaving Indiana holding the bag.

This route shows 2,000,000 annual riders, we cut the figure in half to discount those numbers, if this route attracts 720,000 riders it breaks even.

You are competing against toll roads the entire way, no parking in Chicago, a great ground transportation system in Chicago, Chicago is a destination city, and Chicago is the AMTRAK Midwest HUB for transferring trains.

90 mph is the absolute max trains can run without putting in a seperate rail line 30 feet away from the other rails. This is freight lines and it’s their rules, they will not deviate from them, it’s not happening. These trains would average 69 mph the entire route, cruise at 90 mph. From downtown Cleveland to downtown Pittsburgh in 2:10 hours or Cleveland to Chicago in 4:40 hours. It would run on the exact same Capitol Limited route, with all concrete ties and continous welded rails the entire way.

Don’t discount Lahood, his entire train program is falling apart like a cheap suit.

Core_Models wrote >>

chucky wrote >>

Core_Models wrote >>
    Oh for fuck’s sake.

LOL…wish we could chucky, because that’s exactly the stuff Kasich (and others) has been pumping out that makes me crazy about this. Suddenly they’ll talk about 90MPH trains (max, not average, speed) when it serves them…or “break evens” on funding…
    And no, I wasn’t crapping on you, was crapping on Kasich’s crappy claim ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 1,160 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: