Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author

agtw31

misskitty wrote >>

Actually I can make it to Cleveland In 3 hours and 15 mins when I make a pit stop. Also it’s 80 bucks for gas round trip. I think the train is a great thing to connect our cities.
    But I would not want to add 3 hours to my trip for no reason.

3 hours to Cleveland?

doggone,miss kitty,put some lead in that foot.

misskitty
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>

misskitty wrote >>

Actually I can make it to Cleveland In 3 hours and 15 mins when I make a pit stop. Also it’s 80 bucks for gas round trip. I think the train is a great thing to connect our cities.

3 hours to Cleveland?

I usually go around 70mph. I am not a speed demon In Ohio.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>

Having a leadfoot plays hell on gas mileage.

agtw31

relax,it was a joke.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

agtw31 wrote >>
    relax,it was a joke.

No, I think that’s a point worth bringing up.

“I can make it there in 2 hours” isn’t really honest if you’re doing 80+ the whole way :-)

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the North Royalton PD has a anti-rail lobbyist on staff.

Bastards…

misskitty
    Participant

actually Cleveland is 147 miles from Columbus. If you go the speed limit even under the speed limit by five miles an hour you will make it there hours before a train would.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

howatzer wrote >>
    Acccording to the [url=http://www.examiner.com/x-/x-23537-Columbus-Government-Examiner~y2009m9d17-Analysis-of–Amtrak-study-for-Ohio-3C-rail-plan-reveals-fatal-flaws]Ohio Rail Development Commission[/url], a one-way trip from Cleveland to Cincinnati will take six and one-half hours — two hours more than driving or taking a Greyhound bus, whose ticket price for the same route is $49.
    Exactly why would anyone do this?
    How many car-less Ohioans are regularly traveling between major cities?
    People are complaining about a lack of forward thinking with regard to rail. This rail service has and will again fail because it is slow, inconvenient and expensive relative to cars.

See the other threads where many of us have pointed out the cost between rail and car is roughly equal for a single person and probably favors rail slightly when you account for productivity.
    Of course if you conveniently ignore the cost per mile, as stated by both IRS and AAA, and choose to look at from the “I just put 20 in my car and go” argument then yeah, in a not really supported by real math way, the car trip is cheaper.

OK. So we have narrowed it down to being “probably” favorable for individual travelers that want to work on their laptops while traveling. Seems like a great argument for commuter light rail or business-oriented high-speed rail. But is this enough of a demographic to support slow rail?

The time really isn’t that far off from driving once you consider the few stops you make in the car along the way and weather, traffic, construction or other delays.
    I don’t know about you but if I am in the car over an hour, I usually like to take a quick break and stretch. My trip from the dorm at Ashland back home was I think only an hour and a half or so and I still made a point to stop somewhere and stretch on almost every trip.
    It’s funny-no one gives a second thought to the amount of time we spend in the car and the extra delay from rush hour and the like, yet we are all up in arms about the impending failure when told the rail line will take an extra 40 minutes.

We have to explain this again?

Forgot Cincinnati to Cleveland. For us in Columbus, we are talking either Columbus to Cleveland or Columbus to Cincinnati.

For Cleveland, I’ll give you our 3 hours and change IF the weather is perfect, IF there is no construction, IF there are no traffic accidents, IF there are no delays of any kind and IF you don’t get stopped and handed a citation for speeding. The Amtrak study acknowledges under 3 hours driving on the interstate.

If we look at the proposed schedule, you have a train leaving from Columbus at 6:32 AM and arriving in Cleveland at 9:45 AM. That’s approximately 3 hours and 15 minutes. Did I fail math? Because I fail to see the extra time added.

Cost wise, it seems they are looking at around $20-25 one way, so a round trip of approximately $50 dollars. When you calculate the true cost of driving, it’s over $150 when you account for the round trip mileage at the IRS and AAA cost per mile figures. 3C offers, by the numbers, a fairly competitive option.

Of course if you simply want to ignore facts, go with the “snail rail” meme and consider the proposal through your eyes only (and not those who do find benefit in this) then I guess driving is better.

CARS ARE NOT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!!!!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Central City Recording wrote >>
    CARS ARE NOT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION!!!!

Well according to one pillar of our community, who sits on the COTA board…

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Maybe it is a good thing if trains don’t go so fast:

I’ve edited in a different view that shows the incident without the annoying TV banner.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Here is the first version I showed, that shows more of what happened afterwards.

Andrew Hall

Can I post endless videos of people being splatted on the highways? It would be as equally useful to the discussion.

A.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Such a worthy comparison, considering the lack of stop gates and other safety measures so prevalent on American railways.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Andrew Hall wrote >>
    Can I post endless videos of people being splatted on the highways? It would be as equally useful to the discussion.
    A.

+1

Train accidents (or near-accidents) have absolutely nothing to do with the political topic at hand.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 1,160 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.