Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

3C Passenger Rail Project - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation 3C Passenger Rail Project – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,160 total)
  • Author

jawjack187

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/02/18/train-block.html?sid=101

Wow. I have always had concerns about the speed of this thing. If it is not high speed, and I mean Euro High Speed, it is not worth it. Period.

I’m about fucking done with the lack of forward thinking in this town. We are now WAY behind the ball on rail transit of all kinds – local, regional, high speed or not. People squash ideas because they’re not big enough, people squash ideas because they’re too big. Seriously, if the powers that be don’t get this right (transit) EVERYTHING else going on in this city if FOR NOT.

ETA – I see the 3C as a start, not an end, and if we continue to be afraid or unwilling to start something around here, we will never finish anything.

Lakee911
    Participant

It’s not done yet … have some faith.

agtw31

all i see a politician representing a very small population having just as powerful a voice as a politician representing the entire population of the Columbus area.

what’s wrong with that?

jawjack187

I think we have to be realistic. I would love to take a train to Cleveland, but if it does not cut down on my travel time, I will take my car. It is that simple, and I think there are alot of people who also feel that way.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jawjack187 wrote >>
    http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/02/18/train-block.html?sid=101
    Wow. I have always had concerns about the speed of this thing. If it is not high speed, and I mean Euro High Speed, it is not worth it. Period.

Such thinking ensures that nothing will ever get done. Period. End of story.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

jawjack187 wrote >>
    I think we have to be realistic. I would love to take a train to Cleveland, but if it does not cut down on my travel time, I will take my car. It is that simple, and I think there are alot of people who also feel that way.

+1

dru
    Participant

jawjack187 wrote >>
    I think we have to be realistic. I would love to take a train to Cleveland, and if it allows me to get work done in transit and not get caught in a traffic snarl on 1-71, I will use the train. It is that simple, and I think there are alot of people who also feel that way.

or it could be restated as above.

agtw31

article:

“Five of the seven members of the bipartisan Controlling Board, a state spending panel, would have to go along with Strickland for the train plan to become reality. That means at least one Republican would have to go along.”

i don’t see this happening,since Strickland is dead meat in the next election.

jawjack187

Rockmastermike wrote >>

jawjack187 wrote >>

I am not certain what you feel would be beneficial. Would you propose spending money to get 3C rail going, at a low rate of speed, knowing that very few people would use it? I do not see how we benefit as a State if we move forward with a project that people aren’t going to use, just for the sake of saying we “started something”. If we build it, and it fails, we will never get to the end result that I would approve of (which is high speed). Building a line for building a line’s sake is not responsible, in my opinion. Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Central City Recording wrote >>
    I’m about fucking done with the lack of forward thinking in this town.

I think in this instance you actually mean “state” and not “town”.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jawjack187 wrote >>

How about the people who don’t own cars? Or can’t drive? Do they agree with you?

tree_sketcher
    Participant

yeah, the negativity and ridiculous political resistance to even minor change in this state is enough to frustrate a person into leaving… Why doesnt Bill Harris send a letter to Strickland about other transportation projects that we “can’t” afford? The total operating cost of this system is less than 1 percent of the total ODOT annual budget, and thats BEFORE any sort of sponsorship. There are clear questions with this plan (as with any transportation project), but this is a pretty obvious attempt by Republicans to turn a big victory for Strickland into campaign fodder. After all, the Ohio Hub plan, of which the 3-C is a first step, was started under Taft…

This project is a huge step forward into implementing the rail public transit system that many folks here on CU agree is necessary. We are starting from almost scratch here in Ohio, and this is step One. The speeds will improve over time, and ridership will increase, but we need to get step one out of the way so we can fund improvements. There is a minimum of another 3.5 Billion in federal money floating out there right now for 2010 and 2011 alone. I would suggest we e-mail Bill Harris and the members of the controlling board to express our support for the project.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I think people have to stop looking at public mass trans as the be all end all to everyone’s transportation needs. It’s about choices and right now we don’t have many. There are people that live in NYC and never take public transportation. There will be people that live here and never do. That’s fine, but you can’t say that it’s not a good idea just because you wouldn’t personally benefit directly!

I can’t wait for the 70/71 cluster eff to start and people start bitching about traffic and since no one will have any option other than dealing with it, maybe then we’ll get some mass trans support.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

jawjack187 wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

jawjack187 wrote >>

I am not certain what you feel would be beneficial. Would you propose spending money to get 3C rail going, at a low rate of speed, knowing that very few people would use it? I do not see how we benefit as a State if we move forward with a project that people aren’t going to use, just for the sake of saying we “started something”. If we build it, and it fails, we will never get to the end result that I would approve of (which is high speed). Building a line for building a line’s sake is not responsible, in my opinion. Do it right the first time or don’t do it at all.

Saying “nobody will use it” ignores the mountain of evidence that says that people WILL use it. It ignores the millions of passengers who use rail lines just like this every day.

I’ll add to that my own anecdotal evidence. Case in point: The even SLOWER line from Cinci to DC… that takes 15 hours to get to DC… that leaves cinci IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT (about 3 am) just to make it even LESS convenient to those who take it….

1) was near capacity the first time I rode 4 years ago.

2) was PACKED the last time I took it 2 years ago and there were several more cars added to the train compared to my previous trip.

3) SOLD OUT when I tried to take it last year. I couldn’t even buy a ticket!

Anecdotal to be sure, but there is plenty of other evidence… enough to convince ODOT, the feds, and a whole host of people who know more about this than you or I.

The ability to move goods and people in the most efficient way possible is something that the state SHOULD have a vested interest in. The benefit of upgrading current rail infrastructure incrementally and funded over time to support passengers and then high speed passengers is huge, both in terms of politics and immediate benefit per dollar spent. It is far greater benefit to the citizens than proposing a massively expensive high speed system that, even if it received funding, would take perhaps a decade before anyone could use it at all, at any speed.

We can sit and debate this on CU until we’re blue but it would be pointless because people who know more about this than you or I have already done so, have studied the issues involved, and have concluded that this is the right thing to do at this point.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,160 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: