Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

390 S. Washington Avenue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 390 S. Washington Avenue

• This topic has 15 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Gus WGus W.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

I noticed in the February 23rd Downtown Commission Agenda that the old row house building at this address has been proposed for demolition for a parking lot. Anyone know what the reception for this proposal was? I hope it was rejected.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I wasn’t even aware of it. I suppose there are worse locations for parking, this is pretty far off the path. It may, at least, temporarily allow some other parking lot closer to the city center to be developed.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I wasn’t even aware of it. I suppose there are worse locations for parking, this is pretty far off the path. It may, at least, temporarily allow some other parking lot closer to the city center to be developed.

I thought Downtown standards now pretty strongly discouraged demolition for parking lots without a redevelopment plan? The building in question looks solid, and it would be historic in nature, so despite maybe a less than ideal location, I would much rather see it reused.

Here it is: https://goo.gl/maps/YZjRj3HCGM12

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Not the prettiest building, but so much better than another parking lot. I hope the idea to demolish it is rejected.

lbl
    Participant

listed owner is RONK BROTHERS PROPERTIES.
    they own 16 parcels which includes nearly all of the lots running between Mound & Engler from Washington.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Kind of a noisy spot for housing what being half-surrounded by freeway, but it could be a great area for a club or offices.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Kind of a noisy spot for housing what being half-surrounded by freeway, but it could be a great area for a club or offices.

It can’t be any worse than the condos in IV that face 670. With a little renovation and some good windows, I doubt you’d have trouble finding renters, even if the location is not in the middle of Downtown. A parking lot makes no sense here, as there is nothing around it that the parking would even serve.

ohbr
    Participant

Didn’t stop the Miranova from building along 70/71 or the Brewery District apartments.

I’m just carious to see the end game. I don’t think these have been rented in awhile any. If They were structurally sound and in decent condition, you’d think they would have been renting them already.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>

Didn’t stop the Miranova from building along 70/71 or the Brewery District apartments.

I’m just carious to see the end game. I don’t think these have been rented in awhile any. If They were structurally sound and in decent condition, you’d think they would have been renting them already.

Unless the owner was just sitting on it.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div>

It can’t be any worse than the condos in IV that face 670. With a little renovation and some good windows, I doubt you’d have trouble finding renters, even if the location is not in the middle of Downtown. A parking lot makes no sense here, as there is nothing around it that the parking would even serve.

If you’re discussing the current building that is not the best comparison. The IV new builds incorporated extensive sound reduction in the construction. Even given that, they have not been an easy sell in an area where property has been moving quickly.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div><br>

If you’re discussing the current building that is not the best comparison. The IV new builds incorporated extensive sound reduction in the construction. Even given that, they have not been an easy sell in an area where property has been moving quickly.

I seem to remember an article about them selling pretty quickly after construction. Were they put back on the market? In the case of 390 Washington, the lot is not quite as close to the highway as the condos are, so I think it would be a bit more manageable. And as someone else mentioned, it doesn’t have to be residential, anyway.

WJT
    Participant

This is not a bad looking building at all. Do they really need more surface parking there? And this is not any closer to the freeway than the multilevel apartment building(Commons at Grant?)a little farther west. The city could not even get involved and maybe help turn this into some lower income or ‘workforce’ housing?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

What condos is everyone talking about? The 2 tiny houses on Russel?

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ned23 wrote:</div><br><br>

I seem to remember an article about them selling pretty quickly after construction. Were they put back on the market? In the case of 390 Washington, the lot is not quite as close to the highway as the condos are, so I think it would be a bit more manageable. And as someone else mentioned, it doesn’t have to be residential, anyway.

Not sure where you heard that. #1 took a while to find the right owner.
    #2 is still for sale – http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/77-E-Russell-St_Columbus_OH_43215_M36139-15474
    Probably the reason #3 has yet to be built.

ohbr
    Participant

Wow. I can come up with a number of reasons that hasn’t sold. Mainly, who puts floor to ceiling Windows, with a toilet next to it, ABOVE THE FRONT DOOR?? Sure, you can always add blinds or frost the glass, but still, what the actual hell. You’ll never miss the UPS man again for sitting on the loo.

The kitchen doesn’t have any character (not in that old charm way, but in that anything to define it way). The very sterile style is a style that appeals to fewer people. Petty, but light colored hardwood floors aren’t quite in when it comes to new, high end homes, the fireplace is awful, and there is that random wall scone between the kitchen and living room that doesn’t even look aesthetic.

All the highway facing windows are French doors, because that’s what someone wants to open their doors to (I might be inclined to late at night, but I still don’t think I’d want it to ALL be French doors). The Windows you can open on the north side, you have to bend down to the floor to do so.

And for the rooftop garden patio, a half wall would have been much better than a rail from floorboard up on the downtown side. Something to at least do a little to conceal the highway, even when you’re sitting in a chair.

Just a lot of little things add up to make it a poor design IMO. I really liked these passing by everyday, and would love to live in one, but after seeing the inside, I think I’d pass unless I was just planning on dumping a lot more money into it. Also. Landscaping.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: