Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

2013: The Year of the Gastropub?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 2013: The Year of the Gastropub?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Maybe it’s too soon to call, but it’s fun to observe:

The Pearl – Cameron Mitchel gastropub, just opened in Short North

Bar 145 – Toledo-based gastropub, announced they’re coming to West Fifth Ave.

White Rabbit – Erik Till’s new endeavor in the Brewery District, hopefully opening in April

Honorable mention:

The Local – opened October 2012 in Whole Foods Dublin

Discuss.

ricospaz
    Participant

What’s to discuss?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I wish it was the year of the mexican restaurant :(

melikecheese
    Participant

what makes a “gastropub” and “gastropub” and not a bar, or diner, or tavern, or any other name that means place that serves food and drinks?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    what makes a “gastropub” and “gastropub” and not a bar, or diner, or tavern, or any other name that means place that serves food and drinks?

They’re more artisan.

mrpoppinzs

Snarf said:
    They’re more artisan.

The overpriced $5 sliders are now $8.

Josh Rice
    Participant

melikecheese said:

It’s a term imported from England. It’s kind of a silly term. It refers to a pub that offers a chef driven menu and a carefully selected beer list. Foodies use the term to show the difference between a corner bar that serves food and an upscale bar that serves well prepared food and great beer in a comfortable atmosphere. CMR took a lot of inspiration from The Dutch in New York City and The Publican in Chicago.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

melikecheese said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub

bucki12

So Bodega is a gastropub but Surly Girl is a tavern?

thirstychef
    Participant

Gastropub……..soon to be 2013’s most over used word.

:)

Anti

2013? I’m pretty sure 2008 (or something) was the year of the gastropub. Oh well, at least the food fads get here eventually I guess.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Yeah, this is nothing new.

John McCollum
    Participant

The Crest on Indianola could be great for the neighborhood. I hope the food is amazing, yet affordable. I’d love to see a Northstar version of a neighborhood bar. That’s kind of what I’m imagining.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

John McCollum said:
    The Crest on Indianola could be great for the neighborhood. I hope the food is amazing, yet affordable. I’d love to see a Northstar version of a neighborhood bar. That’s kind of what I’m imagining.

So far the rehab has been looking very good, really glad to see the windows restored and the brick facade restored and cleaned up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION