Our City Online

Messageboard - Art & Artists

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Public Art Installations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Art & Artists Columbus Public Art Installations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

Beware the Floating cows!

More than a dozen works of public art are planned to help Columbus celebrate 200th anniversary

By Nancy Gilson

The Columbus Dispatch Monday

January 23, 2012 7:01 AM

Sculptures of rust-colored cows floating on the Scioto River. An LED light show on the COSI Columbus facade. Newly composed music ringing out on the Trinity Episcopal Church chimes.

Hey, Columbus, are you ready for some public art? In celebration of the city’s 200th birthday, 14 works will unfold this year Downtown.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/01/23/birthday-presence.html

mbhays
    Participant

Nice they included a few Columbus artists. I’m also glad we’ve gotten over trying to shake our cowtown image.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Amazing. After all of these years trying to shed our Cowtown image, they are thinking of throwing cows into our river. This, coupled with the Dublin corn field, the digital cow/pasture at Wexner and the proposed nuclear tower, yea, this definately says we are not a rust belt cowtown. Simply amazing.

DavidF
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Amazing. After all of these years trying to shed our Cowtown image, they are thinking of throwing cows into our river. This, coupled with the Dublin corn field, the digital cow/pasture at Wexner and the proposed nuclear tower, yea, this definately says we are not a rust belt cowtown. Simply amazing.

Or maybe it means we aren’t so over sensitive and insecure that we can manage to laugh at ourselves.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Well, I’m not laughing anymore :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

More Downtown Public Artwork Coming to Scioto Mile
    By: Walker
    May 3, 2012 9:20 am

The Broad Street bridge over the Scioto River was originally built with pedestals meant to display sculptures, statues or other forms of public artwork, but nothing has ever materialized there… until now.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/more-downtown-public-artwork-coming-to-scioto-mile

columbusmike
    Participant

I’d like to see these become permanent installations, but nevertheless, Columbus needs more public art!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The lack of the inclusion of permanant art is becoming disturbing with each bit of news. Hopefully, these temporary installations open up conversations and future funding mechanisms for more permanant public art.

As for the spires, I kind of like them. I like their edge in contrast to some of the more “family friendly” looking installations. I suspect the wood will make them look cheap though. I’ll reserve judgement until I see them though.

The new Rich St. bridge (or is it Town St) has two columns on each end. I’m guessing and hoping that they built those for a reason.

columbusmike
    Participant

Maybe they could put some large limestone columns on those piers….you know, cause we’re the Capital City…..

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    The lack of the inclusion of permanant art is becoming disturbing with each bit of news.

The original announcement last year said that this project is for 12 temporarily displays to celebrate 200Columbus. So it shouldn’t be too disturbing that as the individual projects are announced, they adhere to that original vision.

I can understand temporary art displays for the sake of celebrating an event that will end with 2012.

I also think it can keep the budget more minimal to do temporary displays that don’t necessarily need to be built to last 100 years (or longer).

Either way, judging from the commentary I’ve seen, a lot of people here and via social media want to see more permanent art. So maybe this can build more momentum toward new programs and new funding sources for permanent public art installations.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    Maybe they could put some large limestone columns on those piers….you know, cause we’re the Capital City…..

How about larger than life statues of four of the people instrumental in settling/founding Columbus? 2 Franklintonites on the east side and 2 Columbusites on the west side.

Or maybe four instrumental figures during the history of the city. Someone from 1812-1862, someone from 1862-1912, someone from 1912-1962, and someone from 1962-2012.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

How about a larger than life statue of Walker Evans=Instrumental in making C-Bus cooler ;)
    Now THAT I could get behind!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Psh. I’m only 1% as cool as Lucas Sullivant. I have a long way to go to be statue-worthy, but thanks. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    How about larger than life statues of four of the people instrumental in settling/founding Columbus? 2 Franklintonites on the east side and 2 Columbusites on the west side.

Or maybe four instrumental figures during the history of the city. Someone from 1812-1862, someone from 1862-1912, someone from 1912-1962, and someone from 1962-2012.

That would just make too much sense :)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Walker said:

Either way, judging from the commentary I’ve seen, a lot of people here and via social media want to see more permanent art. So maybe this can build more momentum toward new programs and new funding sources for permanent public art installations.

Yea, I was under the impression that part of this initiative (which wasn’t really highlighted as a reason) was to get the city thinking more about public art and our lack of it. Hopefully, after this year, we see more of a push for more permanant public art installations of all types, not just downtown, but throughout the entire city.

I like the idea of statues on those columns of the Broad St. bridge, big statues, kind of like these:

Too big? Yea, probably too big. You get the idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘Art & Artists’ is closed to new topics and replies.

KEEP LOCAL JOURNALISM HEALTHY.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE