Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Two New Five-Story Apartment Buildings at Neighborhood Launch

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Two New Five-Story Apartment Buildings at Neighborhood Launch

This topic contains 139 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  mike0878 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)
  • Author

jbcmh81
    Participant

Are the two surface lots mentioned going to be built or are they existing and will just be used for overflow parking? The last thing Downtown needs, especially that part of Downtown, is more surface parking. Otherwise, good news.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

5 stories seems to be the new norm. Not a complaint, just an observation. This is a perfect fit for that part of downtown. Now if only Long St. could get a road diet.

JAL
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    5 stories seems to be the new norm. Not a complaint, just an observation. This is a perfect fit for that part of downtown. Now if only Long St. could get a road diet.

Isn’t the reason most of the buildings try to stay under 5 stories is because of city fire code. I believe if the building is more than a certain height it needs a more elaborate fire suppression system. I think above 5 floors, the city considers it a high-rise. The city of Columbus Fire Division claims that ladders will only reach 5 floors. So I believe that is why 5 is the magic nuumber. It is due to extra cost by going higher.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Very exciting news. Great news for Hills Market, too. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So… 260 new apartment units here, plus 100 in The Atlas just down Long Street and another 102 at Discovery District Commons a block north…

That’s 460 new apartment units. If they’re a somewhat even mix of one & two bedroom units, then at full capacity we’re looking at around 690 new Downtown residents within a few short blocks of each other.

Not too shabby. That’s going to make a very tangible impact on the vibrancy of the immediate area.

jbcmh81
    Participant

jpizzow said:

Yeah it does seem so. That said, the more residents with these smaller projects means more people for more retail and vibrancy overall. I do think Downtown will start seeing taller buildings proposed before too long.

mrpoppinzs

I do not think that will be until the undeveloped/parking lot “land” issue is addressed. Most areas would tax parking lots in their downtown ar much higher rate.

futureman
    Participant

Edwards Cos. planning 260 apartments along Long Street
    Date: Friday, February 24, 2012, 6:00am EST – Last Modified: Thursday, February 23, 2012, 3:40pm EST
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Business First

Edwards Cos. plans to step up the pace of its housing development in downtown Columbus by adding 260 rental apartments along East Long Street over the next two years.

The developer of the 7-acre Neighborhood Launch condominium project along East Gay Street hasn’t given up on the for-sale market, either, with plans for a five-story condo building nearby.

First, though, the Columbus developer’s Eclipse Real Estate Group Inc. division wants to put up two 130-apartment buildings on 2 acres between Fifth and Sixth streets, a block north of Neighborhood Launch. Edwards Cos. President Jeff Edwards said the $25 million apartment project will help the company speed up development.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2012/02/24/edwards-cos-plans-apartments-on-long.html

Anonymous

Nice looking building and landscaping. I went on the City Hop tour a few years ago when Neighborhood Launch was just finished up. Out of all the properties I saw on the tour, I thought their condos were the nicest ones I saw out of all of them and built with much higher materials…then again, I was looking at a mostly decked out version, but the bare bones quality was still there. Nice developer and making big strides in an area that needs it.

jbcmh81
    Participant

So then there will actually be 3 5-story buildings on the site, the 260 rental units and one building with condos?

futureman
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    So then there will actually be 3 5-story buildings on the site, the 260 rental units and one building with condos?

Yes, I believe so.

They are still using the same rendering as before for the originally planned 5 story condo building which will have 40 units (up from previously 32 units) –

Pablo
    Participant

Is it me or does that watercolor rendering above show a landscaped median on Long St.?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:
    Is it me or does that watercolor rendering above show a landscaped median on Long St.?

That is what it looks like. Perhaps the upcoming Downtown Action Plan will address this?

GCrites80s
    Participant

Am I correct when I say that when a building is more than three stories, an elevator is required. Then when it is above five, the more elaborate fire system is required. Meaning it’s why a lot of buildings today are either three or five stories but not as many are four.

JAL
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    Am I correct when I say that when a building is more than three stories, an elevator is required. Then when it is above five, the more elaborate fire system is required. Meaning it’s why a lot of buildings today are either three or five stories but not as many are four.

I read on the Ohio Code that the first key height is 55 feet above the ground (based on occupancy) when the buildings fire protection system requirements begin to change (sprinklers, alarms etc). Then there are additional key heights for additional requirements.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 140 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.