Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

192 year old UA house in danger of being demolished

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 192 year old UA house in danger of being demolished

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

melikecheese
    Participant

On one hand its just an old house…but on the other hand I suspect that’s what everyone said about German Village back in the 50’s when they were demolishing it, and I think most people would say saving it was well worth it. Sure its one house vs a whole area, so its not a great comparison, but saving the little history we often have is a good thing..

Perhaps the developers can make it the gate house that sits next to the entry into this fancy apartment complex, its small enough…

Anidem
    Participant

Maybe they should consult the Ohio County Historical Society.

It was privately owned and occupied prior to this as all those houses along that strip the developer purchased. As they said in the story, the society knew it was there, they didn’t know it was to be demolished.

Perhaps they should have tried for a marker for it a long time ago. Not that it truly stops as evidenced by the Kahiki.

They are relying on the good will of the developer to wait until they can work out an arrangement.

There were a lot of good points mentioned in the article about this house that would deem it a worthy cause. Hope it works out.

japoling
    Participant

Three observations: 1) The area in which this house is located was not even in the municipal boundaries of Upper Arlington until June 14, 2013. It is unlikely that the people that are involved with the U.A. historical society knew about the significance of the house until very recently, as it was not even in U.A. 2) U.A. historic preservation efforts as a community are not very robust. “Property rights” trump preservation. For instance the city has designated the area South of Lane Avenue as the only area that has any buildings worthy of historic preservation. http://www.uaoh.net/development/division.php?fDD=25-181. 3) It appears the development department did a good job in making sure the project conformed to the City’s Unified Development Ordinance, but it appears that there is no requirement that any historically significant stuctures be considered. This historically significant home was just considered another residential structure. http://www.uaoh.net/egov/docs/1371211283916.pdf

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Perhaps they should have tried for a marker for it a long time ago. Not that it truly stops as evidenced by the Kahiki.

Ghosts of Columbus Past: what about that old brick house on Sunbury Road, just a little bit south of 270? An Underground Railroad stop, with a historical marker in front. Aetna tore it down, right?

pez
    Participant

Would make some press for Columbus, how many other cities will have a Revolutionary War veteran’s home demolished on Veteran’s Day?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

pez said:
    Would make some press for Upper Arlington, how many other cities will have a Revolutionary War veteran’s home demolished on Veteran’s Day?

FTFY. ;)

Anidem
    Participant

alexs said:

Ghosts of Columbus Past: what about that old brick house on Sunbury Road, just a little bit south of 270? An Underground Railroad stop, with a historical marker in front. Aetna tore it down, right?

I think I remember that. Was that in the 90’s? I seem to remember a big ruckus over it.

I think I’ve found it.
    HISTORIC MCDANNALD PIONEER HOMESTEAD, AT 5947 SUNBURY RD, DEMOLISHED; ALLSTATE INSURANCE PLANS TO BUILD COMMERCIAL OFFICE PARK AT THE FORMER UNDERGROUND RAILROAD OUT-POST
    http://www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlcnix/subjsearchresults.cfm?startrow=11&subjectid=197242&original=UNDERGROUND%20RAILROAD&stype=O

These little spots of history fascinate me. I’ve recently acquired old copies of Bill Arter’s Columbus Vignettes. For instance, I didn’t know there was a log cabin on south campus (moved there from a previous location). I’d have to see if this Upper Arlington house is among his drawings. It’d be a shame if this goes, once it’s gone, it’s gone. Keeping this around keeps this man’s story alive.

I think one of the first of my sporadic posts was about some historic house in Franklinton. I wonder what is going on with it now.

Wish I could edit my previous post: Ohio Historical Society

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The parklands along Griggs Reservoir are littered with the remains of various stonework projects from the 20s and 30s. Much of it is still functional like many of the shelterhouses, or the IVC lodge. Some of it is fragmentary, like something that looks like it might have been a stone drinking fountain. Stone stairs crumble apart. And, lots of stone border fences in every state from perfect to completely fallen down.

jbcmh81
    Participant

It would be a shame to lose such a piece of history, even if people are only now becoming aware of it. I don’t get the argument that because people didn’t know or care previously, they shouldn’t now.

I have been working on a Google map with all of Columbus’ buildings built between 1800 and 1925. Many of them are on the National Register of Historic Places. Obviously, this is a work in progress as there are so many places (which kind of goes against the idea that Columbus doesn’t have much historic architecture), but it will continuously be updated over time.

Here’s the link: http://allcolumbusdata.com/?p=2038

roy
    Participant

alexs said:

By moving it to the parks it will take future funding for upkeep that will eventually be placed on the parks budget. No one is going to finance the move and upkeep of this house for future years to just let it sit in a park.

Ah well, there is the “dam keeper’s house” at Griggs, a larger comparable structure, that was badly falling apart. The city paid for a new roof and boarding it up to keep out vandals, including a fence around it, and a few years later a big tree fell on it and crunched part of the roof. So it stands now. They didn’t have a plan for its use before that incident, and now it’s back to needing substantial repair.

The Dam Tender’s house is a monument to the failure of the City’s historic preservation officer Randy Black, he doesn’t understand how to negotiate the kind of consensus required for big bold projects, after he had his name printed big and bold on an ugly metal sign giving himself credit for restoring the house (not) he walked away.

The Dam Tender’s house is important to both UA and Columbus and I hope less dysfunctional preservation officials can turn things around.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

A few years before the roof replacement, I photographed all around it for fear they would knock it down anytime.

Anidem
    Participant

That’s a neat thing you’ve created, jbcmh81. Thanks for the link!

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Here’s the follow-up, from the Dispatch:

“The Upper Arlington Historical Society determined over the weekend that it would be impractical, or impossible, to move the 192-year-old stone house on Riverside Drive and save it from demolition.”

Also:

“The stone house is too fragile to be moved and little original is left inside to salvage.”

Hutchinson House can’t be saved

Anidem
    Participant

That’s a shame. I still wonder if there was any inquiry to the Ohio Historical Society.

Get your pictures.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Columbus Landmarks is sometimes involved with building preservation, but I don’t know if they would apply in this case.

It is sad to lose history.

In a case like this I wish the developer would step it up and fix this building and make it the jewel of their development. Even if it’s a maintenance building.

In my opinion, these are the types of buildings that make communities interesting and unique.

What a shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: