Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

18% abv Beer in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion 18% abv Beer in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Beer buzz would get a big boost from GOP bill

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

BY ALAN JOHNSON

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Ohioans could buy beer with a whopping 18 percent alcohol content under a provision in the state budget proposed yesterday by Senate Republicans.

After holding the line on alcohol content in beer for 69 years, lawmakers might be poised to increase it for the second time in a decade. The limit was increased in 2002 to 12 percent from 6 percent, where it had been since the end of Prohibition in 1933.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/06/01/beer-buzz-would-get-a-big-boost-from-gop-bill.html?sid=101

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dan Ramos (D) Lorain has been working on legislation to increase the maximum ABV to 21%.
    Why did the Ohioan cross the border?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

To get higher abv Beer of course, but the good news is now they can cross back!
    You and Scotty kicking around any ideas on beers?
    How about a TIPA :P

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Dogfish Head 120 Minute would be nice in Ohio.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

This is proof that tinybeerjesus wants me to finally get this…
    swoon.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

That is a mini bottle of beer..

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Maybe it’s the world’s biggest glass…

catmaster

I am 100% behind this. Less people spending their dollars outside the state on an industry that is exploding across the U.S. I’ll be sending some emails.

Parker
    Participant

“exploding” seems hyperbole. Nevertheless, the only reason I see (aside from the adulterations that often creates such high ABV) to limit ABV in beer is the perception of beer’s alcohol equivalency that is taught to many young consumers:

1 glass of wine = 1 shot of whisky = 1 bottle of beer

There is a potential danger relying on this dated formula, but benefits :) may outweigh the risks.

It still won’t keep some from crossing the border to places like PA where there is a lower beer tax ($0.08 per gallon making it the 4th lowest in the country).

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’d say “exploding” isn’t hyperbole at all. In the past 30 years, the number of craft brewers in the US has gone from fewer than 100 to 1,759. I’d say that’s pretty serious growth. I don’t have numbers on how many of those are making high ABV offerings, but I’d say there’s a pretty respectable number. I’d much rather spend my money on that tasty stuff inside my own borders if I can instead of having to haul it back with me when I leave the state.

And as for that equation, well I can’t do basic math sober, so… ;)

Parker
    Participant

If exploding refers to microbreweries, I agree. But, the context was ABV and craft brew, which doesn’t really mean anything other than >6 million barrels a year, which is a lot and buy comparison is much larger than microbreweries of >15,000. These brews have nothing to do with 18%abv per se since the abv is all about specific gravity, and that varies by the style, recipe, and brewer.

I am less concerned about ABV since most underage drinkers like it cheap, and these higher alcohol brews are not cheap (although, unless the law states it, there won’t be much to keep breweries from cranking out the equivalent of Mad Dog beer, fortified with corn sugar to boost ABV).

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I like how on the news last night they stressed that the 18% beer would be really expensive, like $30 for a 12oz bottle I think the CBC interviewee said – very much to imply this new law isn’t going to start cranking out 18% 40’s in the hood so no one should really be “alarmed.”

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

LOL @ SNARF for watching tv news !!!

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lol, but it’s on before jeopardy!

groundrules
    Participant

I’d rather have 3 good 6% beers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE