Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

174 E. Long St. Redevelopment Potential

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 174 E. Long St. Redevelopment Potential

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

Based on the screenshots I took during the video it looks to be a total of 15 stories. First floor is glass enclosed so retail? Topped by 7 floors of garage and then 7 floors of office/apartments (guessing from the inclusion of balconies). If this happens this will be awesome. I’ve mentioned numerous times on this board that I think this is the best way to incorporate parking into your building. I feel like someone finally caught on.

Good catch! In that case I can support it :-)

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

That video was published January 12th and talks like that project is a done deal. Seems strange. Also it seems hardly anyone has viewed it.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Timing is really odd… There hasn’t been any mention at the Dtown Commission meetings but the fact that the video was released so long ago makes you wonder how long the city had been planning the COAA->Old Bob Evans HQ move.

Really impressed with the renderings btw, what a good find @JAL!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I’m not usually for tearing buildings down, but that one is butt-ugly. If that proposal for the mixed us tower, parking included, is still on the table, I hope it gets the go ahead.

drtom1234
    Participant

The way the video plays, I think the whole building is garage, and the balconies, glass, etc is simply facade. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine he wouldn’t mention that the 700 space garage, which he mentioned was going to be owned by the building, was going to be topped with seven stories of apartment or office space.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…makes you wonder how long the city had been planning the COAA->Old Bob Evans HQ move.

I wouldn’t think it’s uncommon for a big move like that to have a year or two lead time pre-announcement to the public.

ohbr
    Participant

The way the video plays, I think the whole building is garage, and the balconies, glass, etc is simply facade. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I can’t imagine he wouldn’t mention that the 700 space garage, which he mentioned was going to be owned by the building, was going to be topped with seven stories of apartment or office space.

That’s what I initially thought but the top 7 floors appear to beclosed in with windows compared to the middle 7 which appear to be open or screened. A parking deck wouldn’t be permitted to be that enclosed without major ventilation systems etc, which why bother if it’s only half the garage?

At 7 floors of parking, that’s 100 spaces per floor, 25 spaces in 4 rows. That easily fits into that footprint without needing to go 15 stories of only parking.

I’m not going to place any bets on this being anything beyond a snazzy video quite yet though while eagerly hoping it’s a go.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

I’m not usually for tearing buildings down, but that one is butt-ugly.

If you look at the building from Spring Street, you can see that the hideous material on the facade is covering up brick that has been painted brown. I’m not sure, of course, if the brick wraps all the way around underneath the current facade, but some TLC may result in the building being nicer than expected.

This area of Downtown has the potential to really take off, as Neighborhood Launch approaches its conclusion, as CCAD and Columbus State begin work toward achieving their 10-year plans, and as development picks up along and between Spring and Long Streets. Easy highway access; close to the Short North and IV; infrastructure being developed for pedestrians and cyclists; etc.

Pro Se
    Participant

Right, and there are plenty of other spaces for new builds. Chief among is the out-of-place (now defunct) National Tire and Battery. As this is not currently leased, it would seem to make sense to convert that to the garage/apartments. As for the 174 building, let’s take off the cladding and see what lies beneath.

But there’s another component here: the city just relocated its agency on aging and is freeing up this building for development. Given that, isn’t there a public say on what happens with this building? There ought to be. Why are we learning of all these details after-the-fact given the public asset at play?

ohbr
    Participant

But there’s another component here: the city just relocated its agency on aging and is freeing up this building for development. Given that, isn’t there a public say on what happens with this building? There ought to be. Why are we learning of all these details after-the-fact given the public asset at play?

I partially agree. While this is an potentially exciting development, is this going to be another Pizutti/Joseph? While there is no doubt the contribution of the Joseph was positive and a project like this would be as well, there is a question as to the handling of this. How appropriate is it that a developer approach the city and say we have plans for this spot without it going to the public for input or bidding?

As for keeping the building? unless there is some magnificently intricate and architecturally significant brickwork, I’ll gladly take a much more significant 15 story building (even if half of it is a deck). Still not going to hold my breath on this at least until it’s built. (re: LC).

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jason Powell wrote:</div>
    I’m not usually for tearing buildings down, but that one is butt-ugly.

If you look at the building from Spring Street, you can see that the hideous material on the facade is covering up brick that has been painted brown. I’m not sure, of course, if the brick wraps all the way around underneath the current facade, but some TLC may result in the building being nicer than expected.

This area of Downtown has the potential to really take off, as Neighborhood Launch approaches its conclusion, as CCAD and Columbus State begin work toward achieving their 10-year plans, and as development picks up along and between Spring and Long Streets. Easy highway access; close to the Short North and IV; infrastructure being developed for pedestrians and cyclists; etc.

The back and the side look like the framework of an old Warehouse or factory building-kind of like how the Julian used to look-but with some windows and all painted that ugly brown. On google streetview you can see the side up close..but what is this sign? lol?
    https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9655462,-82.9960498,3a,37.5y,263.67h,81.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svT2qNblTMoB6j-9kZFn-MQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Die Lane? Right on the side of a building for Aging?

JAL
    Participant

Haha- I think that is supposed to say Judie Lane. Google maps must have blanked out part of the name. Must be her parking spot. https://www.linkedin.com/pub/judie-lane/36/532/864

ohbr
    Participant

The lamenting over the possibility of losing a handful of parking spots (even thought the net gain is likely to be in the hundreds) is coming. Brace yourselves…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

News
    Participant

City to Seek Proposals for Long Street Site Downtown
    August 15, 2015 10:00 am – Brent Warren

The pending relocation of the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging to the South Side will be leaving a prime development site open downtown; the agency’s six-story office building and adjacent parking lot at 174 East Long Street.
    The City of Columbus will be sending out a Request for Proposals before the end of this year seeking a buyer for the site.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/city-to-seek-proposals-for-long-street-site-downtown-bw1

columbusmike
    Participant

I hope the proposals take into account more than just this single property. For example, a small pocket park surrounded by development could help this area.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO