Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

174 E. Long St. Redevelopment Potential

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 174 E. Long St. Redevelopment Potential

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Saw this in the Dispatch (http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/07/27/City_Council_preview.html), City Council is going to vote tonight on vacating and selling the 174 E. Long building (corner of 4th & Long) in favor of moving the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging to the old Bob Evan’s HQ at Great Southern.

Great redevelopment potential with all that surface lot frontage on 4th!

174 e long st

174 e long st

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Think the redevelopment potential here is terrific, given all the activity along this block and the one that precedes it along Long (and elsewhere in the immediate vicinity).

Given the availability across the street of the former tire/car place, this intersection could look very different in five years.

Anyone know if brick might be hidden beneath that brown…material?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Think the redevelopment potential here is terrific, given all the activity along this block and the one that precedes it along Long (and elsewhere in the immediate vicinity).

Given the availability across the street of the former tire/car place, this intersection could look very different in five years.

Anyone know if brick might be hidden beneath that brown…material?

The Auditor’s site lists it as being built in 1912 and includes a note that I think means brick and stone… It’d really be interesting to strip off that facade

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s not super exciting, but would be nice to see it get the residential + retail conversion to fit in with some of the similar projects in the area. More residents Downtown will in turn help to support area restaurants like Wolf’s Ridge and retailers like The Hills Market.

Then again, the office market sounds like its really picking up some steam, so an office renovation might be a good idea as well.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

After reading another article on the property it also includes the building next door and the surface lot to the east… that’s a huge chunk of real estate to work with, hoping a developer jumps on it.

182 long downtown redevelopment

182 long downtown redevelopment

ehill27
    Participant

The rumor I heard is that someone wants that property for a parking garage. The nearby AT&T offices, I believe.

It’s a reaction to all the lost surface lots on Gay St and the condemed Long St garage.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The rumor I heard is that someone wants that property for a parking garage. The nearby AT&T offices, I believe.

It’s a reaction to all the lost surface lots on Gay St and the condemed Long St garage.

See, that’d be infuriating: There is a vacant, condemned garage on Long St. that is just waiting to be fixed up…

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I’d rather we didn’t see parking structures replace buildings unless they are part of a larger development. I’d be fine if whoever bought these buildings built a structure on the neighboring surface lots, but kept the buildings.

WJT
    Participant

I’d rather we didn’t see parking structures replace buildings unless they are part of a larger development. I’d be fine if whoever bought these buildings built a structure on the neighboring surface lots, but kept the buildings.

I agree. Best if they could buy the lot to the north and put a garage on those surface lots combined and redevelop the existing buildings, maybe adding some office or residential while at it and including ground floor retail for the garage(all of this in a perfect world only I guess).

Also I don’t think you can just keep eating away at these surface lots without adding structured parking or offering viable public transportation options. Many people are hardwired to need that car above almost anything else, and for some of them, you will literally have to pry their dead cold hands off the steering wheel.

*I admit to being one of the cold dead hands people. :( COTA sucks!

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div>

I agree. Best if they could buy the lot to the north and put a garage on those surface lots combined and redevelop the existing buildings, maybe adding some office or residential while at it and including ground floor retail for the garage(all of this in a perfect world only I guess).

Also I don’t think you can just keep eating away at these surface lots without adding structured parking or offering viable public transportation options. Many people are hardwired to need that car above almost anything else, and for some of them, you will literally have to pry their dead cold hands off the steering wheel.

*I admit to being one of the cold dead hands people. :( COTA sucks!

Sure, I’m not against adding structured parking. I’m against demolishing buildings to add parking.

JAL
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtSvHBFzKc This youtube video does show developing this parcel into a 700 car parking garage (around the 2:20 mark).

ohbr
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNtSvHBFzKc This youtube video does show developing this parcel into a 700 car parking garage (around the 2:20 mark).

Whoa. That’s a great way to make parking fit in to a streetscape, but I’ll echo the rest, why demolish an existing building as it appears to me they intend to do. Why not wrap the building in a garage u sing the same idea to heavily mask the fact that it is a garage PLUS add leasable office space for businesses with smaller office needs?

Edit: Can’t the city just deny a demolition permit and tell them they have to keep the existing building?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Based on the screenshots I took during the video it looks to be a total of 15 stories. First floor is glass enclosed so retail? Topped by 7 floors of garage and then 7 floors of office/apartments (guessing from the inclusion of balconies). If this happens this will be awesome. I’ve mentioned numerous times on this board that I think this is the best way to incorporate parking into your building. I feel like someone finally caught on.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Let’s try that again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

While I’m not crazy about tearing down a building to do that…. it’s off the major strip and in a low traffic area. And it’s surrounded by a LOT of surface lots so maybe it can be a catalyst to finally start hacking away at those open lots by rendering them useless. I kind of like the idea of “go big or go home.” A small parking garage attached to the building isn’t going to stop the complaints. A big parking garage with a ton of spots, on the other hand… that gives you pretty much free license to start hacking away at those open lots. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part but it’s feeling like it will be easier to change density (for now) with dense parking that allows you to build ambitious development vs. trying to change attitudes about public transportation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER