Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

166 new apartments planned for Grandview Yard

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 166 new apartments planned for Grandview Yard

This topic contains 29 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Stephen43215 Stephen43215 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>
    These will definitely fit in with the rest of the development. I wouldn’t mind a little architectural variety. But I do like the underground parking and it’s good to see the area continue to fill out.

I also wish the master plan better activated 3rd Avenue rather than leaving it a sea of parking.

It turns the charm of Columbus into a sea of fake brick

Fake Brick?

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kyle Green wrote:</div>
    fake brick

I’m pretty sure all of the new brick buildings in Grandview Yard (and the Arena District) are using real bricks.

You beat me to it, Walker. Unless the modern brick material, likely being a different makeup than what they used 100 years ago, classifies them as “fake”

Kyle Green
    Participant

Yes absolutely. I am sure the brick is real. Just sort of a rant about many of the developments going up that are doing a poor job of recreating a particular feel or character of a neighborhood with cheap materials, that it makes it feel sort of fake. Sorry tried to make it clear it wasn’t about a particular area or building. Not the focus of my statement. Just my personal opinion.

Thanks!

cadillackid
    Participant

you make mention of vinyl windows…..

at least they arent using the highly inefficient metal windows like the new development over on 5th avenue is using… id hate to pay the utilities to live in those new apartments with bare aluminum framed windows… I guess they look modern.. and im guessing those , since i didnt see any gas lines will be all electric too.. ugh! glad im not paying those bills..

I am surprised though at the yard isnt using the all Pella Wood windows that look so nice in the buildings along gay street from 4th on east… those are really classy and would fit the yard style quite well.. (those buildings).

-Christopher

gramarye
    Participant

I agree that Third is going to be underutilized in that design, with the sea of parking and normal suburban-shopping-center outparcels in a constellation around the Giant Eagle Market District; the parking lot is large enough that even residents of these new apartments will have a farther walk than they might appreciate to get to that store, just because of the need to walk past all the autocentric infrastructure. That said, I don’t think a Market District would be viable without that much parking; I just wish they’d put the store closer to Third (and made it part of the same building with places like the Panera) and put the parking behind/north of it. In fact, I think that was something of a missed opportunity because the Market District concept could have allowed for patio dining and other outdoor portions of the market near the street (these places are much more than grocery stores), which could have really made the street seem more alive.

thomaspickles
    Participant

The Grandview Yard area is actually kind of a disappointment. It’s really only going to be a bunch of apartments, hotels, and a grocery store all said and done.

Not exactly somewhere you would go visit, aside from the outer-ring Hofbrahaus, I suppose.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

And a ton of office space as well.

Except for the northern portion of the site that is overly suburban (as has already been mentioned) I am not disappointed at all. It’s an entire new neighborhood.

derm
    derm
    Participant

The Grandview Yard area is actually kind of a disappointment. It’s really only going to be a bunch of apartments, hotels, and a grocery store all said and done.

Not exactly somewhere you would go visit, aside from the outer-ring Hofbrahaus, I suppose.

It is actually a perfect mesh of things to support an out of town visitor to Columbus. Arrive for say a Buckeye game, a conference or a medical trip. You can exist without a vehicle easily(or easily drive anywhere quickly with free parking), walk to places to eat, a grocery store, the University, all of Grandview, multiple parks, a pool, a river, bike paths, coffee shops, etc.

It is not in of itself a destination, but I think they hit the ball out of the park on this development. As a Grandview resident from back when this was the working Big Bear warehouse I think it is awesome. They aint done either.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Were you expecting a Six Flags?

The City of Grandview Heights is land-locked with few opportunities for growth. The city needs new jobs and places for people to live, and that’s what they’re getting.

thomaspickles
    Participant

Was anticipating more entertainment or destination-type venues, like the Hofbrahaus. It also seemed like this idea would go well with the new apartments, offering “things to do” in the immediate area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Was anticipating more entertainment or destination-type venues, like the Hofbrahaus.

Well, there’s still time for a whole lot of infill. It’s not like Grandview Yard is done yet. ;)

futureman
    Participant

Wasn’t the initial vision for Grandview Yard like a mini-Easton? I thought that all fell apart when retail market crashed in 2008. It doesn’t look like there is any going to much of any significant retail presence anymore – at least nothing on the scale of a mall.

Honestly I’m pretty happy that it isn’t a retail destination. I think the current ratio of office, residential, retail is a good fit for Grandview and the area in general.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Wasn’t the initial vision for Grandview Yard like a mini-Easton? I thought that all fell apart when retail market crashed in 2008. It doesn’t look like there is any going to much of any significant retail presence anymore – at least nothing on the scale of a mall.

Honestly I’m pretty happy that it isn’t a retail destination. I think the current ratio of office, residential, retail is a good fit for Grandview and the area in general.

100% agree. Big and medium box retailers would not generate nearly the benefits that are coming now. Two hotels with hotel taxes, new residents in the community and schools and a ton of professional workers getting paid in the Grandview RITA area.

I wish the Wagenbrenner property at 33 and Grandview would be more like the Yard.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>futureman wrote:</div>

100% agree. Big and medium box retailers would not generate nearly the benefits that are coming now. Two hotels with hotel taxes, new residents in the community and schools and a ton of professional workers getting paid in the Grandview RITA area.

I wish the Wagenbrenner property at 33 and Grandview would be more like the Yard.

Yeah I do too. But more like the southern end, not the northern end. It gets increasingly suburbanish as you go north. Too much of the area seems to be surface lots around Third.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

From Sullivan Bruck Architects Facebook page. Underground parking is starting to take shape!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.