Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

166 new apartments planned for Grandview Yard

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 166 new apartments planned for Grandview Yard

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

JUST ANNOUNCED: Construction will begin this month on the third phase of Apartments at Grandview Yard. The new Brooks building will be a 4-story, 166-unit residential building featuring one and two bedroom flats ranging in size from 722 to 1,219 square feet. The Brooks building will be located on Baldwin Avenue between Yard Street and Rail Street, and will include first floor walk-up units and a 128-space underground parking structure. Leasing for the Brooks building will begin in early 2016. (From Grandviewyard.com)

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/06/24/grandview-yard-getting-more-apartments-to-meet.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2015-06-24&u=wHiE2ZGWe4egsZx4aBPo6czSLYR&t=1435173875

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

surber17
    Participant

Awesome!

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Completion of the Brooks building will bring the total of apartments at Grandview yard up to 440! I like the fact that they are building parking underground and not another garage.

futureman
    Participant

It doesn’t look like there is any ground floor retail. But other than that it looks great.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I agree with futureman. I think there should be some retail space along Yard Street, since that seems like it’s the development’s “Main Street.” Even just a restaurant space at the corner would be better.

Otherwise this is great news! Construction will be starting next week at the same time Nationwide and a new hotel are being built!

futureman
    Participant

Ran across this master plan on the grandview yard site:

master plan

The new apartment building is already on the plan, just not labeled. Looks like this has been planned for awhile. Notice in the master plan it has a darker color – like all the confirmed buildings.

News
    Participant

Next Grandview Yard Apartment Building Announced
    June 24, 2015 4:17 pm – Brent Warren

Construction could start as soon as this month on another 166 apartments at Grandview Yard. Nationwide Realty Investors (NRI) announced the project today, saying that the new building is their response to a very strong rental market.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/next-grandview-yard-apartment-building-announced-bw1

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

These will definitely fit in with the rest of the development. I wouldn’t mind a little architectural variety. But I do like the underground parking and it’s good to see the area continue to fill out.

I also wish the master plan better activated 3rd Avenue rather than leaving it a sea of parking.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Everything looks great except for the suburban style development around 3rd Ave. Why would they totally change the layout on the north side to a sea of parking lots?

surber17
    Participant

I’m having trouble telling exactly where these are going

futureman
    Participant

Take a look at the master plan I posted above. It’s right next to the new office building just finished on the 3rd ave side. It has the text “800 yard st office building” over it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Directly across Yard Street from the first phase of apartments. North of the new office building at 800 Yard Street, which was recently completed:

Kyle Green
    Participant

These will definitely fit in with the rest of the development. I wouldn’t mind a little architectural variety. But I do like the underground parking and it’s good to see the area continue to fill out.

I also wish the master plan better activated 3rd Avenue rather than leaving it a sea of parking.

General Rant: I agree, a little variety is aesthetics in Columbus would be refreshing. I get it that many of Columbus’ old neighborhoods feature brick houses, warehouses converted into lofts or businesses and they look great but that doesn’t mean every new building needs to be fake brick and colored panels. It not the same.

It turns the charm of Columbus into a sea of fake brick, concrete cladding, and vinyl windows at every site that has the potential to squeeze as many economy units as we can onto. Lets strive for more progressive design whenever possible. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just inventive. There are many capable architects in Columbus up for the challenge. Challenge them.

kylemgreen.com

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

fake brick

I’m pretty sure all of the new brick buildings in Grandview Yard (and the Arena District) are using real bricks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO