Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

16-unit Apartment Building Proposed for West 3rd Ave in Victorian Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 16-unit Apartment Building Proposed for West 3rd Ave in Victorian Village

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

40-42 West Third Avenue

Berardi + Partners (Applicant) SND Partners, LLC (Owner)

An application, siteplan, drawings, and photos have been submitted.

Conceptual Review

• Demolition of existing single-story commercial addition located at 40 West Third Avenue and creation of green

space with portions of the existing parking to remain.

• Exterior rehabilitation of the existing Italianate residence single-family residence at 42 West Third Avenue.

• Construct new 3+ story, 16-unit apartment structure on the existing parking area north of the existing building.

• The first floor of the apartment building will contain “at-grade” parking for the residents, floors 2 and 3 will each

contain 8 dwelling units, and a partial 4th floor will contain additional space for the 3rd floor corner units.

• The proposed 4th floor will be recessed from the façade to minimize apparent height and massing from grade.

SOnQebM.jpg

(Page 2) http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Boards_and_Commissions/Historic_Preservation/Victorian_Village_Commission/Meetings/2014/2014%20VVC%20FEB.agd.pdf

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Looking at the site on Google Maps it sounds like there will be a large front yard to the right of the existing historic building fronting the new apartment building. I love Columbus Underground and visit the site frequently, I moved to Vegas last week so this site will really keep me updated on things going on back home!

News
    Participant

16-Unit Apartment Addition Planned in Victorian Village
    March 12, 2014 – Walker Evans

A historic home on Third Avenue in Victorian Village may soon be getting a noteworthy facelift. Borror Properties (who is also working on a larger 101-unit project at Third and Dennison as well as a 24-unit proposal in Italian Village) is planning to restore the Italianate-style home and compliment it with a separate four-story building at the back of the property, which would house 16 additional rental units and 17 parking spaces. Another 9 parking spaces and new greenspace is planned on the outside of the building.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/16-unit-apartment-addition-planned-in-victorian-village

futureman
    Participant

It’s a nice looking building, but what’s going on with those three parking spots next to the existing building (7,8,9)? Seems a bit odd to me – what happens when someone parks behind you in one of those spaces?

Ben
    Participant

what happens when someone parks behind you in one of those spaces?

They’re for hovercars. That’s some forward thinking!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Tandem parking isn’t a new concept. I’ve seen it in use behind many student-oriented building in the University District. It can require some extra planning to juggle cars around, but maximizes the amount of space to fit parking spots onto a small amount of land.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I get tandem parking when it’s you and your three roommates sharing spots in college, when the only place you ever have to be is class. But I’d be a little upset if I’m paying what will probably be $1300+ for a one bedroom and I have to knock on my neighbors door to get them to move their car at 7:30 am so I can get to work.

InnerCore
    Participant

Tandem parking is used for more than just college students in most cities where space is tight. They aren’t going to put your space behind your neighbors. Most likely the tandem spots go together for 2 or 3 bedroom units. So basically you just have to organize with your spouse, roommate, etc.

For most people it’s looked at as a plus. Living in the city you often have scenarios where you have only on street parking or maybe just 1 parking spot even for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit. So having 2 dedicated spaces is a better scenario than only one.

If you notice inside the building spots 1 and 2 are also not only tandem but for compact cars as well.

UrbanLegend
    Participant

FYI, I saw some renderings of the revised proposal working its way through the approval process. The apartment building has been moved to the side of the site (where the office addition is currently), and the surface parking is now in the rear. Very good news in my opinion.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

FYI, I saw some renderings of the revised proposal working its way through the approval process. The apartment building has been moved to the side of the site (where the office addition is currently), and the surface parking is now in the rear. Very good news in my opinion.

Yea, I was a bit confused by the layout of the first plan. I didn’t understand the parking being in the front facing the street. Does anyone have pictures of the revised plan?

News
    Participant

Changes Made to Proposal for Third Avenue Apartments in Victorian Village
    May 8, 2014 8:00 am – Brent Warren

More changes have been made to a proposed 16-unit apartment building at 42 West Third Avenue in Victorian Village. The new proposal calls for a four-story, stand-alone building next to the historic single-family home at 40 West Third. The one-story addition to that building, which previously held offices, would be demolished and the original structure renovated.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/changes-made-to-proposal-for-third-avenue-apartments-in-victorian-village-bw1

Pablo
    Participant

I believe this project is now underway.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I think they got the old office frontage removed. Have they started the foundation work for the new building?

Pablo
    Participant

The pad is graded and foundations are laid out – I imagine they will be excavated soon.

wpcc88
    Participant

a lot of things going on at this site.. should be pouring concrete next week it looks like

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION