Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

16-Bit Bar+Arcade

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife 16-Bit Bar+Arcade

This topic contains 222 replies, has 70 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 223 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Finally got over there Sunday. I am a video game “industry person”, own one arcade machine and have a buddy that builds his own and restores old ones as well. Somehow I thought that would help me keep my cool when I want to 16-bit. Nope. Getting in front of a big assortment of arcade machines with those crystal clear arcade monitors that no mere TV can replicate properly, speakers blasting directly at your skull and bashing away at buttons as hard as you can with a bunch of strangers around is an experience that cannot be replicated anywhere but a place like this. I mostly played early to mid-’80s machines such as Gorf, Double Dragon, Liberator and Phoenix. They gave me that down ‘n dirty brown ’80s feeling that I was seeking, the one that makes you feel sketchy — like you are one joint away from turning into a burnout. Afterward, you’ll spend the rest of your school years sitting on the school bus staring forward with Iron Maiden’s “The Prisoner” on infinite loop in your head. Then after high school comes rusty muscle cars and ?

I realize the X-Men arcade game from the ’90s might not give someone born in 1986 the same feeling. That’s probably a good thing; you younger folks don’t need the headspace I described above in your mental Rolodex anyway. But I bet you’ll have just as much fun. That’s why it’s great that 16-bit features a large variety of machines. You can also go to the time when desires revolved around new Jodeci CDs and taking home a big piece of ‘Crag instead.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I’m clearing out some old memory cards, including some CompactFlash cards – the smartypants read-all-format card slots on the laptops are wondering why I’m trying to stick something the size of a matchbook into them.

ETA try 64Mb instead of 100Gb

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Special Halloween Party tonight at 16 Bit

LINK

tishpoo
    Participant

bastardsuperstar said:
    at least two pinballs, please. . .

There are now 4 pinball machines at 16-Bit: Twilight Zone, Red & Ted’s Road Show, Terminator 2 and F-14 tomcat.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

T.Z. and T2 are just perfect choices. add an Addams Family and that’s the old campus Silver Ball Arcade trifecta…

tishpoo
    Participant

bastardsuperstar said:
    T.Z. and T2 are just perfect choices. add an Addams Family and that’s the old campus Silver Ball Arcade trifecta…

sorry, not much chance of an Addams Family. It was a tough decision to even put the Twilight Zone out but so far so good.

On the subject of the Silverball arcade, that place was one of the reasons that we are reluctant to put any really good pins out on location. Between the homeless people throwing up in the driving games and somebody taking a diamond ring to the glass of the Attack from Mars, that place turned into a nightmare as a game location.

tishpoo
    Participant

bastardsuperstar said:

sorry, not much chance of an Addams Family. It was a tough decision to even put the Twilight Zone out but so far so good.

On the subject of the Silverball arcade, that place was one of the reasons that we are reluctant to put any really good pins out on location. Between the homeless people throwing up in the driving games and somebody taking a diamond ring to the glass of the Attack from Mars, that place turned into a nightmare as a game location.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Has anyone checked the price for hosting a party at 16-bit?

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

I just got a quote from Katie Allen. It’s $200/hour, not including food, drink or gratuity so my two hour gathering for 18 people would cost $400 just to get in the door, not including any food or drinks. Has anyone hosted a gathering at KDB? I’m told they charge $19 per person for two hours of free food, soft drinks and games.

lattethunder
    Participant

JaredThompson said:
    I just got a quote from Katie Allen. It’s $200/hour, not including food, drink or gratuity so my two hour gathering for 18 people would cost $400 just to get in the door, not including any food or drinks. Has anyone hosted a gathering at KDB? I’m told they charge $19 per person for two hours of free food, soft drinks and games.

I looked at KDB for hosting something awhile back… 19pp sounds pretty close to what I remember.

Graybeak
    Participant

JaredThompson said:

Two very different dynamics though. KBD has more “modern” games, but from my experience, not very well maintained.
    16 bit appears to be the more classic types of games, and lovingly restored and maintained.

So take that with a pixel of salt.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:

kit444
    Participant

Walker said:

FWIW, pepper is the weapon of choice in Burgertime.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Two very different dynamics though. KBD has more “modern” games, but from my experience, not very well maintained.
    16 bit appears to be the more classic types of games, and lovingly restored and maintained.

You’re correct. Definitely two different experiences

roy
    Participant

Glad this place is finding success tucked between taco haven El Camino and hot dog heaven Dirty Frank’s, not a gamer but one comment: taco truck has been spotted unlawfully parked at meters after City work hours to avoid being cited, they claimed 16-Bit ‘invited’ them but this seems doubtful since the arcade owner seems like a sharp guy who knows he can’t ‘invite’ food trucks to break the law and besides, why get sideways with B&M neighbors selling tacos?

Food trucks maintain the right to establish agreements with property owners to locate on private lots and we all know there are plenty of surface parking lots downtown. Food trucks occupying multiple meters intended for the motoring public is not allowed, hopefully 16-Bit cooperates.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 223 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.