Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Trotter's Park - 140-Unit Apartment Development in Harrison West

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Trotter's Park – 140-Unit Apartment Development in Harrison West

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

heresthecasey
    Participant

The developers of the Aston Place project in Victorian Village are now proposing a 144-unit apartment complex in Harrison West. The site is bounded by Michigan, Thurber, and Buttles, and currently houses two commercial buildings and surface parking.

The apartments would be distributed in 7, 3-story buildings, with approx. 20 units/building. The plan has been presented to the Harrison West society twice already, in October and November, and a vote will be taken at the January meeting on whether to recommend that City Council approve the site’s rezoning for the project.

There are more details and comments from society members in the meeting minutes,

http://harrisonwest.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/HWSMinutes10.16.2013.pdf (October)

http://harrisonwest.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/HWSMinutes11.20.2013.pdf (November)

ueI7BSr.jpg

surber17
    Participant

I really would like to see the design for this because we don’t need another Thurber Gate. I’m all for appreciating the designs of different decades …. but Thurber Gate is just bad and I don’t see it going anywhere any time soon.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Where is the USTA relocating? The auditor’s website still lists them as the owner of the parcels.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    I really would like to see the design for this because we don’t need another Thurber Gate.

I don’t see any reason why the developers behind Aston Place / Aston Row would design something resembling Thurber Gate…

https://www.columbusunderground.com/tag/aston-place

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Thurber Gate may look “bad”, but they are having no trouble renting out those units. We tried a few months ago and the waiting list was until January.

myliftkk
    Participant

Shit, there goes more easy Comfest parking. ;)

InnerCore
    Participant

myliftkk said:
    Shit, there goes more easy Comfest parking. ;)

And more people who can walk to Comfest.

News
    Participant

Developer Wants to Build 140-Unit Apartment Complex in Harrison West
    Published on January 27, 2014 7:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Snyder Barker Investments, the development team behind the Aston Place apartments and townhomes in Victorian Village, is looking to Harrison West for their next project. They are still working out the details, but hope to build about 140 apartment units in the area bounded by Michigan Avenue, Thurber Drive West and Buttles Avenue. The 3.4 acre site is currently home to the offices of the US Trotting Association.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/developer-wants-to-build-140-unit-apartment-complex-in-harrison-west-bw1

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Parking, parking, and more parking ..oh and a few apartments.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That is a misrepresentation of the development.

This is good news for Harrison Park and Columbus.

Apartments need sufficient parking. If Columbus had systems of transportation in place whereby residential units could be added en masse without accounting for parking, then you would have a point. But Columbus doesn’t yet, and residential developments–though they surely can be more mass transit/biking/walking-friendly can’t be expected to “preemptively” develop in anticipation of mass transit options coming at some point in the foreseeable future.

myliftkk
    Participant

Does it really need to be called Trotter’s Gate?

Achekov
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Thurber Gate may look “bad”, but they are having no trouble renting out those units. We tried a few months ago and the waiting list was until January.

Is Thurber Gate the thing that looks like it should be along Morse Rd. circa 1970? I assumed it was some kind of low-cost or subsidized housing.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yes, they are older and their style shows it. However, many of the interiors are getting updates. The fact that they are older and not newly constructed provides an opportunity for lower cost housing in an otherwise prohibitively expensive location for many.

I’m just wondering how only 6 buildings will look spread out over such a large site.

Eugene_C
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Yes, they are older and their style shows it. However, many of the interiors are getting updates. The fact that they are older and not newly constructed provides an opportunity for lower cost housing in an otherwise prohibitively expensive location for many.

I’m just wondering how only 6 buildings will look spread out over such a large site.

It will probably look like lots of parking lots with half-dead trees and ratty bushes that have plastic grocery bags stuck in them. Oh and oil stains, don’t forget the oil stains .

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

At least build the apartment buildings up to the street/sidewalk and parking hidden in the middle! Are you sure this isn’t Lifestyle communities building this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE