Our City Online

Messageboard - Columbus Festivals

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

13th Annual Heritage Concert Series

Home Forums Events Columbus Festivals 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Press Release:

The Soul of the City Announces the 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series

The King Lincoln District will come alive this summer as the King Arts Complex and Radio One Columbus join forces again for the 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series every Thursday beginning July 7th through August 25th 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. at Mayme Moore Park, 867 Mt. Vernon Avenue. The summer event has become a staple in Central Ohio attracting people from surrounding communities and all walks of life to celebrate and enjoy great entertainment, food and more. “The Heritage Concert Series is a vital part of Columbus’ summer cultural scene” said Angela Pace, WBNS-10TV Director of Community Affairs.

Once known as the “Cradle of Jazz”, the District’s Heritage Concert Series will feature some of Ohio’s hottest musicians performing jazz, Classic R&B, Blues, and inspirational! This year’s kick-off concert on Thursday, July 7th will be a tribute to the late Willie Pooch featuring a performance by The Upsetters. This summer’s stellar Heritage Concert Series lineup also includes performances by: Late Crew Band, FYI Quintet, Milton Ruffin and The Bassic Principal, Network 7, Ken Weaver Quartet, Jimmy McGee, and this year’s national recording artist, The Dazz Band. “Radio One Columbus is truly honored to partner with the King Arts Complex on this amazing series and consider it a privilege to be the Media Sponsor. This event gives us an opportunity to directly reach out and touch our listeners in the community and furthermore, it’s a great time” stated Kevin Carter, Radio One Columbus Senior Account Executive.

The 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series is sponsored this year by Value City, Safe Auto, Anheuser Busch, and Pepsi! These concerts are free and open to the public, so bring a blanket or lawn chair and relax in the beautiful, breezy ambience of Mayme Moore Park. A food court and reserved tables at the patio will also be available. For more information, call The King Arts Complex at 645-KING (5464) or visit http://www.thekingartscomplex.com

Funding for the 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series is made possible from a grant from The PNC Foundation through its PNC Arts Alive initiative. More information is available at http://www.pncartsalive.com

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Lineup:

Thursday, July 07, 2011
    Tribute to Willie Pooch (Blues Alliance)

Thursday, July 14, 2011
    Late Crew Band

Thursday, July 21, 2011
    FYI Quintet

Thursday, July 28, 2011
    The Dazz Band

Thursday, August 04, 2011
    Milton Ruffin and The Bassic Principle

Thursday, August 11, 2011
    Network 7

Thursday, August 18, 2011
    Ken Weaver Trio

Thursday, August 25, 2011
    Jimmy McGee

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Photos from The 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series in Mayme Moore Park
    By: Walker

The 13th Annual Heritage Concert Series kicked off on July 7th with weekly installations of live jazz, food trucks and great entertainment. Every Thursday through July and August, Mayme Moore Park (located adjacent to the King Arts Complex) comes alive when thousands converge with lawn chairs and blankets to take part in this free outdoor music series. The event runs from 6pm to 9pm and will continue this season through August 25th.

MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/photos-from-the-13th-annual-heritage-concert-series-in-mayme-moore-park

patient_zero
    Participant

Thanks for the photos, Walker! How was the Late Crew Band? I love this series for a few reasons – the music, the people, the park and the food. But being Thursday, I’m usually torn between the Downtown Live Concert Series and work, of course. I worked this evening, but was out by 7:00 and literally walked out the doors to the Commons, and you know the rest of the story.

It looks like they have a few new food additions this year, including the Rincon taco truck! Is Sweetie Pie there again this year selling their killer sweet potato pie?

Sweetie Pie sweet potato pie

patient_zero
    Participant

The Dazz Band tonight! These guys were huge in the 80’s. Let It Whip reached No. 1 on the R&B charts. Let it whip in the heat tonight!

patient_zero
    Participant

The Dazz Band was on fire last Thursday. They were so good, they had Mayor Coleman up there performing “Let It Whip”. I have it on video, but not sure what site to download it to.
    The food, the music, the people were awesome.

A few extra pics here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157627305438660/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice photos! The first one of the guy in the cowboy hat and LOUD outfit… do you know who he is? I’ve seen him dancing (always with earbuds in) at events all around town for the past year or two.

You can see him standing off to the right side of this photo I took a few weeks back:

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

patient_zero said:
    The Dazz Band was on fire last Thursday. They were so good, they had Mayor Coleman up there performing “Let It Whip”. I have it on video, but not sure what site to download it to.

Youtube! ;)

patient_zero
    Participant

I don’t know who he is, but he seemed pretty well known. His stride reminded me of Kramer, when he was walking in the Tecnicolor Dream Coat in NYC! He has a nickname like Pooty or Pookie or something like that. I tried to download the video to Youtube and the download failed a few times. I’ll try sometime later.

Anyhow, last performance of the season. Jimmy McGee tonight!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Columbus Festivals’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: